Grekman

Honorable
Aug 9, 2016
Hello Toms Hardware forums. I've bumped into a unique issue with a new build.

On an am4 mobo of recent make, we used the driver disc that came with the MOBO to update whatever Windows 10 drivers that required patching. Process was going smoothly, classic fade in's and fade out's, till the screen turned pitch black for a solid 10+ minutes. We decided to restart the machine.
Thereafter, we would get display output just fine, all the way till the Windows 10 loading circle was finishing every time. Whenever the W10 loading process got finished, we'd get a "no input" message on screen.
You'd think that this would be a driver issue, and that we ought to roll back, or go into safe mode and uninstall the VGA driver. Well. Before we got to that, we attempted to swap out the VGA cable for an older one, to see what would happen. And it worked. The PC provided display output all the way into Windows and beyond. We restarted again. We replugged the previous cable. Once again, same old issue. Display working fine into UEFI, but after the Windows loading circle, dead screen.

So it's not as if the cable is dead, or the drivers are malfunctioning ( at least, not to the point where using another cable wouldn't work). For some reason, it now dislikes our first VGA cable. The motherboard is a Gigabyte B450M S2H, and the cpu a Ryzen 3200G, if that information is worth anything. The display is just an old VGA monitor, and to my knowledge, it has showed no issues in the past. Has anyone ever met such an odd issue before?

Lutfij

Titan
Can you list your full system's specs? Include the make and model of your display and how you're connected to it off the motherboard. Which version of Windows 10 are you working with? We're currently on 2004. As for your drivers, you should've downloaded them from Gigabyte's support site, onto a donor system and migrated the drivers using a pen drive.

Can you get into BIOS? If so, check and see what version you're currently on.

Grekman

Honorable
Aug 9, 2016
Can you list your full system's specs? Include the make and model of your display and how you're connected to it off the motherboard. Which version of Windows 10 are you working with? We're currently on 2004. As for your drivers, you should've downloaded them from Gigabyte's support site, onto a donor system and migrated the drivers using a pen drive.

Can you get into BIOS? If so, check and see what version you're currently on.

Hello, thank you for replying.
The entirety of the system specs is:

Ryzen 3 3200G CPU + GPU
Gigabyte B450M S2H MOBO
Patriot Viper 4 Series 4+4GB 3000Mhz RAM
1TB WD Blue HDD
Coolermaster 500w 80+ Standard PSU
Stock Ryzen Wraith Cooler
Case stock + 2x Arctic 120mm P12 Fans
Innovator Beyond U3 Case

Windows 10 is on the latest 2004 update. The only thing I can add about the monitor, is that it's of 5+ years, Samsung make, and it is connected directly on the motherboard with its old, working VGA cable now. Sorry, I do not know right now the precise bios/UEFI version. I can only say that it is out-of-box.

Unfortunately, we currently lack further access to the machine and the rest of its information, otherwise I'd be more precise. So, this is not a pressing issue, but it is a mild curiosity and we are mostly afraid it may occur with the current VGA cable as well. When we will be allowed to tinker with it again, we will install the latest drivers using a pen-drive, as you said, to make sure.

Something more to add to the situation, which is probably unrelated: We met issues installing an optic DVD drive on to the build. It was incompatible with almost every SATA connector of the PSU, except only one.
If we connect it with any other SATA cable except that one, the PC will not even fire up. And it will require a full unplug and replug off the power outlet, plus disconnecting the DVD drive for it to work. However, the same SATA cables that won't work with the DVD drive, work just fine with Hard Drives.
Again, that may be unrelated, but I felt obliged to add it. Thank you for your time.