May 8, 2021
MY VGA KEEP DOING CRICKET NOISES & STUTTER LAG

I'm using RTX 2070 Asus ROG STRIX.
So, at first the fps going down when I didn't realize until it keep doing stutter lag to me (free screen about 0.5 secs) in fps game. Then I realized it was 140-160 fps when it should be 200+. When it freeze, its down to 50-80 fps.
my tempt is fine. 37C on CPU, 57C on GPU. all overclocking is on default

It kinda weird that I went to the service center near mine, they changed to their vga and it was perfectly fine, no stutter lag, no fps drop, no cricket noises.
Then I changed into GTX 1080 Ti ZOTAC (my bf's) but the vga also doing the same. Freeze screen, fps drop, sometimes cricket noise.

So, I decided to ask my friend for help to check my RTX 2070 Asus ROG STRIX. He said "all is good, perfect, no cricket noises or even stutter lag. 200+ FPS"
When I got it back, and it started to make the noises when I was updating the drivers....

My warranty is invalid so I don't know if it's my VGA or my PC anymore. But it clearly make a cricket noises so somthing definitely wrong with my vga fan.
Any help?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1INPLhrGYthKPh4S2ZY6MXS_S03dFGvqR/view?usp=sharing

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
i would do a complete wipe using a bootable key and install a clean windows, not a simple reset to factory my dude. But if it's stable now i don't see how that could go back to being bad. If it does, it simply means your hard drive is somewhat faulty and the more it fills up, the least performances you get. That's the only explanation i could think of. Does the issue used to happen after a while or immediately? Do you turn your pc off atleast once a day or you make it run for a week continuously? Because if you do, it could also be the ram pagefile filling up and give you stutters.

And the cricket noise i have no idea,because i'd think issues would start to happen as soon as you stress the card, but for you it's the opposite. Do you...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your PSU and it's age? On second thoughts, please pass the specs to your entire build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

You might want to take a sheet of A4 paper and roll it into a cylinder, hold one end against your ear and the other is used as a probe to see if the sound you speak of is coming from the GPU. To note, if the Zotac GPU you swapped out with is from the AMP series, well, they weren't built well.

May 8, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your PSU and it's age? On second thoughts, please pass the specs to your entire build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

You might want to take a sheet of A4 paper and roll it into a cylinder, hold one end against your ear and the other is used as a probe to see if the sound you speak of is coming from the GPU. To note, if the Zotac GPU you swapped out with is from the AMP series, well, they weren't built well.
Hey there, thanks for reply and welcoming me!

Here's the spec
CPU: Intel Core i9 9900KF
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME Z390-A
Ram: CORSAIR CMK16GX4M2A2400C16 DDR4 X2
SSD/HDD: PNY CS900 480GB SSD, INTEL SSDPEKNW020T8, CT1000P1SSD8
GPU: ASUS ROG GEFORCE RTX 2070 STRIX
PSU: COOLER MASTER MWE GOLD 750W 80+
Chassis: NZXT H500i ATX

I did and it's definitely from my vga fan, in fact 2 of the fans make noises.
Another fact: I went to my sister's and put my RTX 2070 to her PC and it was working properly without any noises, just once when I turn on the PC. FPS ingame (enlisted) was 110 fps with the highest setting.

Some people says it because of windows 10 and I should re install it, is it true?

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Welp, it's def not the card if it worked fine on your friend's pc. You can try to reinstall windows as it's the easiest and cost efficient method compared to buy a new psu (primary suspect) or a new motherboard (absolute worse case scenario). Just for good measure, i would install the latest bios first and perform a clean ddu install first then try the windows format method.

May 8, 2021
Welp, it's def not the card if it worked fine on your friend's pc. You can try to reinstall windows as it's the easiest and cost efficient method compared to buy a new psu (primary suspect) or a new motherboard (absolute worse case scenario). Just for good measure, i would install the latest bios first and perform a clean ddu install first then try the windows format method.
Well, I just reset my PC (both windows & entire files on SSD). It really works! No stutter lag, no drop fps, and no cricket noises on the first day. Thanks for the advice thoo...

But in the next day (yesterday), the cricket noises come back but not often as before, (I analysed that if I'm playing it won't make any noises, but if I'm idling or doing sth on desktop it started to make noises). So, what I do for now is open my MSI afterburner (because it stops the noises) whenever the noises appeared.

For FPS: still stable 200+ - 300 fps. But sometimes it goes down a lil bit to 170 fps and back to normal. I'm afraid that in a week it drops to constant 160 fps as before :( [game: valorant]
I will update again if something changes in a week... No stutter lag thoo

But for the mean time, what I supposed to do next if the prob appeared? :(
I noticed that when I re-installed my windows, the wallpaper didn't change from the prev one (it should be default wallpaper from windows, right?) So, I assume it didn't reset entirely...
Should I reset it again and do as u said?

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
i would do a complete wipe using a bootable key and install a clean windows, not a simple reset to factory my dude. But if it's stable now i don't see how that could go back to being bad. If it does, it simply means your hard drive is somewhat faulty and the more it fills up, the least performances you get. That's the only explanation i could think of. Does the issue used to happen after a while or immediately? Do you turn your pc off atleast once a day or you make it run for a week continuously? Because if you do, it could also be the ram pagefile filling up and give you stutters.

And the cricket noise i have no idea,because i'd think issues would start to happen as soon as you stress the card, but for you it's the opposite. Do you really need that high of fps tho. I would simply lock the framerate down to 160 and see if the stutter/lag/dips in fps happen again. Because 200/300 fps puts quite the stress onto the gpu and are imo really unnecessary unless you're some sort of pro gamer that competes.

It's a weird issue but it's def not the card. The psu is a quality psu (unless it has like 7+ years), motherboard is entry level and the ssd is kinda meh. It's a weird one.

Also keep in mind this is apparently a thing https://www.pcmag.com/news/windows-10-april-update-is-causing-games-to-randomly-stutter

Last edited:
Reactions: imkz
Solution
May 8, 2021

And the cricket noise i have no idea,because i'd think issues would start to happen as soon as you stress the card, but for you it's the opposite. Do you really need that high of fps tho. I would simply lock the framerate down to 160 and see if the stutter/lag/dips in fps happen again. Because 200/300 fps puts quite the stress onto the gpu and are imo really unnecessary unless you're some sort of pro gamer that competes.

It's a weird issue but it's def not the card. The psu is a quality psu (unless it has like 7+ years), motherboard is entry level and the ssd is kinda meh. It's a weird one.

Also keep in mind this is apparently a thing https://www.pcmag.com/news/windows-10-april-update-is-causing-games-to-randomly-stutter
Noted, I'll do that next time when I reset my PC.. I'm new to PC stuff (I used to use MAC), so sorry I'm lacking so much regarding this kind of stuff...
About my SSDs, how to check which one is the cause? Because I have 3...
I always turn off my PC everyday whenever I don't use it anymore. I don't need that high fps, but I turned off the V-SYNC since this issue comes up

So, the first timeline is..
I have been using this PC for 2-3 years till now. It started to stutter and freeze (around 0.5 secs) on Jan 2021 before I cleaned up my PC, so I turned off V-SYNC to check the FPS. I think it was because of I never cleaned my PC before, so I cleaned it up..
But the issue not solved, it worsening instead. the stutter became so often, it freeze for forever (so I have to force quit from my task manager and re-launch the app), and disconnected suddenly without any warning. Then I went to the service center as I mentioned on the first post..
I still turned off V-SYNC to check and analyze the issue if its solved or no within this week...

New Update from my issue: I was playing today, it suddenly disconnected without any warning, just like before and freeze (abt 0.5 secs when I met enemy) once. about the cricket noises, I always open my MSI Afterburner so it didn't make any noises..

May 8, 2021
Well connection issues have nothing to do with gpu issues really. The fact you got dced could be a miriad of things: your connection, the server you were playing on etcetc.
oh I hope sooo!! Because I got dced so often since the stutter lag begin... :/
Btw, until now, I got nothing strange or any changes from the last update. Everything is still finee except the VGA fan which I hope I can get it fix to any service center, I'm too scared to fix it alone :/
Thanks for the advice, telling me to reset the PC :D(y)