[SOLVED] VGA to DVI-D

Dec 26, 2018
I've recently bought a new monitor, i plan to have duel screens along side my HP Pavilion 24xw. The issue is that this new monitor needs a VGA connector and my GPU (GTX 1060 6GB) only supports Display Port, HDMI and DVI-D. Because my current monitor is connected to the HDMI port, i bought a DVI-D (M) to VGA (F) adapter.

Whenever i try this my monitor just says "Cable Not Connected". I'm not sure if it's because of the adapters (which i've tried 2 of) or because my GPU or Monitor doesn't support those adapters. I know the monitor works with a VGA to HDMI adapter so i don't see why this isn't working. My new monitor is made by AOC.

BFG-9000

Distinguished
Like all modern GPU chips, the GTX1060 does not support analog outputs at all, so no simple pin-adapter can ever work.

Any real DVI-D to VGA adapter will thus need to be an active adapter, which means it has to have a power jack, usually connected to USB to supply a few watts. That's because DVI itself is only required to supply 1/4 watt and that's just not enough.

Nowadays, it's definitely better to apply any money you would've spent on an active adapter toward a digital monitor. After all the analog circuitry in them is usually cheaply built, which is bad for both reliability and image quality.

BFG-9000

Distinguished
Like all modern GPU chips, the GTX1060 does not support analog outputs at all, so no simple pin-adapter can ever work.

Any real DVI-D to VGA adapter will thus need to be an active adapter, which means it has to have a power jack, usually connected to USB to supply a few watts. That's because DVI itself is only required to supply 1/4 watt and that's just not enough.

Nowadays, it's definitely better to apply any money you would've spent on an active adapter toward a digital monitor. After all the analog circuitry in them is usually cheaply built, which is bad for both reliability and image quality.

Aflyxxn

Commendable
Aug 24, 2019
are you running both screens off GPU? or is one connected to GPU and MB ?

If your using both GPU and MB you need to change settings in bios.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS