VGA vs DVI issue

Julius Gabriel

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
I need to move my main display to VGA from the current DVI ( there is a good reason for this but the explanation is long )
But im having several issues with this
On DVI the system (Win8.1) recognizes the monitor and i have 1920 as an option
When i switch to VGA it goes to generic and i dont have 1920
I tried installing the driver but still nothing
Maybe there is an issue because i have 2 DVI outlets on my graphics card and i connected the DVI and VGA cables on them separately!? Maybe somehow windows is in love with the old one!?

Please tell us a little more about your setup. What is your graphics card and what are the available outputs. As Vincent said, there are differences between DVI-I and DVI-D, the most important in your case being the fact that DVI-I also carries an analog signal and can thus be converted to VGA.

Are you using an adapter?

Is your adapter an active adapter? A passive adapter will have no effect on your system, it can't even tell if it is there, as it is simply re-routing the wiring. An active adapter is more complex, as it has to sample the digital signal on one end, convert it to another digital standard and output it to the other. If you have one, a passive adapter will be much easier to use.

Passive DVI-I to VGA adapter:
DVI-VGA-Adapter.jpg

Julius Gabriel

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
My graphics card is a radeon r7 265
I have 1 single link DVI-D and that one is hooked up to the DVI on my display
And i have a 1 double link DVI-I and that one is hooked up via passive adapter to the VGA on the display
I also have another device connected via HDMI to my monitor
My monitor sees HDMI and DVI as both digital
I need the second hook up to be full analog ( VGA ) for this setup to work
I could use the DisplayPort for these goals but for now i will try to make this work

From what I understand, you system is having trouble detecting the monitor by analog connection (maybe it isn't PNP?) and because of that you can't get it set to a proper resolution. My best bet would be editing an inf to override the EDID, essentially tricking the system into detecting the monitor the way you want it to.

There is an MSDN article on that, although you may find specific files ready for your monitor if you search by the model.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/jj133967(v=vs.85).aspx