Via 933mhz 512mb 40gb

shovenose

Distinguished
with those specs, could i run a small file server?
could i make something where i can access files on that machine from any copmuters(not just in my house)
is this possible?

i am running xp pro, but i can install win7 ultimate if need be. i also have the discs for some linuxes: dsl, xubuntu, ubuntu.

TIA!!!

user 18

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Depending on your situation and required speed that may or may not be adequate. If you only need 1 or 2 computers to access at once, and don't have a desperate need for a fast connection, it should be fine. If not, consider an upgrade.

XP Pro should be fine, as my home server ran on it prior to a Win7 upgrade, but I don't have enough experience with Linux to know if it would be a better option.

Accessing files from any computer anywhere in the world is the tricky part. VPN technology can let you do this, as long as the server is powered on, and both the server and your machine are connected to the Internet. I believe many of these solutions are aimed at businesses though, and therefore command a hefty price.

user 18

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
There are. I have never personally used any of them, but they do exist.

I tend to recommend open-source over freeware, so this one looks good, although it must be run on a Linux client, like Ubuntu. http://openvpn.net/ In addition, this seems to have very low system requirements.

Do your own research, see what you think. There may be a better alternative that I didn't find.

shovenose

Distinguished
what does the windows vhd mean? would it work on xp?
thanks!
unfortunately i want one that is winxp pro compatible because i want to be able to run other things too if need bye, not just the few things that happen to be linux compatible. also, i am notvery experienced with linux ...

shovenose

Distinguished
sorry, im changing the plan to a copmuter i already have
1ghz athlon xp (aka amd geode nx-1500)
512mb ram
512mb flahs disk built-in with win xp embedded <<<---thats the problem right there. how do i overcome it?
i could put linux: dsl, ubuntu, xubuntu on a 1gb usb stick if need be...

shovenose

Distinguished
well yeah m talkin bout a different computer.
its an hp thin client,
which has an internal 512mb flash disk (basically an onboard usb stick but on the ata bus).
i am running win xp embedded, so will i have space to install stuff?
i have done it before with dsl (damn small linux) that i boot off of the 1gb usb stick i have lying around.
so what do i do next?

user 18

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I have never used XP embedded, so I can't really say. Perhaps you could clone the disk onto a larger drive, and manage partitions as necessary to extend the space.

If that doesn't work, try installing programs onto a USB stick or separate HDD. It is possible to run programs from a drive other than the boot drive, but I don't know how well it will work on a USB stick.

LOL Hot Big & noisy. Yea if you plan on using a drive from back when that athlon xp was new they yea they hot big and noisy but you can find some nice 500GB drives these days cheap and they dont run much over 30C if you have a little ventilation going.

Personally the old chips you are using are gonna be pretty slow just make sure you at least have a gig of RAM if you dont you might as well not even turn the computer on because it just will be way too slow take my word on this.

user 18

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
16GB should be fine for programs, but the HDDs are nice and cheap nowadays, and they come in smaller form factors. You could always install the program onto the same drive you are sharing folders off of.

I have 4 1500GB drives in RAID 5, in very close proximity. They are running between 30 and 40 all the time, with a dedicated fan. The fan is much louder than the drives. I shove the whole thing under a desk and can't hear anything 30 feet away.

If you don't plan on running RAID or doing anything major, for a small server one HDD should be fine.

Keep in mind that if you are accessing from over the internet, you will not have very good speed / response times, since even if you have gigabit LAN, your internet will not approach those speeds. You may want to consider a RAM upgrade though. I assume you would need DDR?

Newegg has some good prices - especially this one here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231029

~$20 for 512mb with good reviews

shovenose

Distinguished
it rquires laptop ddr...
i dont really care how fast it is, as long as it doesnt freeze up too much. will it be really slow to do windows remote desktop on the thing? especially if im doing it from here (san rafael california) togermany or maybe just to pt reyes (1/2 hr drive)...?

user 18

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010

user 18

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
OK, do you have an HDD that you can drop into the machine and try installing the VPN?

Even if the HDD is just temporary, we can use it to make sure that the plan will actually work before we go any further. Alternatively, if you have an empty USB stick, that may also work for testing, although it will probably be much slower.