Via C3 1ghz - anygood in a cheap laptop?

sciroccotune

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2005
Hello guys, newbie here - gotta question for ya all.

I have seen a laptop with a Via c3 Cpu at 1ghz. I know its slow but i dont really need to much speed, just want to work and listen to mp3/play vids from time to time.

What do you think of the C3 at 1gig? Will it at least compare to a p4 at a similar clock speed? or is it way behind?

cheers guys

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by sciroccotune on 04/28/05 03:18 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
<A HREF="http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD0zNTQmdXJsX3BhZ2U9MQ==" target="_new">http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD0zNTQmdXJsX3BhZ2U9MQ==</A>

Based on that review, the VIA C3, compares to Celeron of same speed... Which means a VIA C3 1.0GHz would not be much faster than a Celeron 1.0GHz based system!

Ouch! It's very very slow! You should check for used laptop, you might get a faster one for the same price. Don't forget that playing DivX or MPEG video require CPU power, the VIA C3 might be enough, but it will probably barely do it.

-
GA-K8NF-9 / <b><font color=green>Athlon 64 3200+</font color=green> @ 3800+</b>
Infineon DDR400 (CL2.5) 2x512Megs
<font color=green>GeForce 6600GT 128Megs</font color=green>
<A HREF="http://www.getfirefox.com" target="_new">Firefox</A>

sciroccotune

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2005
Thanks for the link, The only thing is i can get hold of a laptop with the c3 cpu, 256 ram, cd/dvd rw. 40gb hdd and 4xusb2 for 279 including shipping!!

If i add a wireless card to the mini pci or just use USB then its a good internet/work machine.

The_I

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2003
I doubt you could add a wireles to the mini-pci unless the labtops specs states that it's prepared for it. Such a card needs an antenna (that's usualy build into the monitor's frame) so you might have to settle with a PCMCIA-card or an USB-dongle.

The offer's ceratinly cheap, and depending on your style of work you may be pretty happy with it. I use a pIII 600 mhz labtop myself and I'm fairly satisfied though I'd like something slightly smoother, but that might well be the hd as much as the CPU.

sciroccotune

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2005
Well at the moment I have been using my brothers sharp laptop. Its tiny and cool! its only a 1300 centrieno (guessing Pentium m of some sort?) Most of the time its only running at 500mhz to power save and its fast enough to work (word, excel, internet and listen to mp3s mainly) so guessing the C3 should manage? maybe? I have no problem using a USB wireless card so I may take the plunge?

I have another question is a Celeron (at say 1ghz) faster than a p3 at say 750?

(I remember that there has been lots of Celerons so I’m not sure of the speed of each)

endyen

Splendid
The c3 would compare fairly well to a 1.3 centrino system... If the centrino was off. The c3 is about as fast as a P111 @ 700mhz. Forget any graphics. It would be fine for win95.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Some of Sandra's tests show the C3 1000 comparable to a K6-III 450.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

I just spit coffee on the d@mn monitor!

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Why? Sandra benches don't reflect real world performance very accurately, but in real world C3 1 GHz is not much better than K6-III 450

------------
<font color=orange><b><A HREF="http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox" target="_new">Rediscover the web</A></b></font color=orange>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
P3 @ 700mhz will run xp just fine. ram is what is important.. and 256 will be fine for surfing/mp3/spreadsheets. maybe not all at the same time ;)

-------
Work sucks.

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
Which means a VIA C3 1.0GHz would not be much faster than a Celeron 1.0GHz based system!
If that's the case, I believe it's more than enough to do what he wants, and let's not forget VIA C3 is an extremely cool cpu..

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
Not by battery life he would'nt, the C3 uses about 10w or somthing insane like that. If he just wants to watch DVD's and use word then the C3 will be fine (C3 boards have a hardware MPEG2 decoder built in I believe). divX movies might pose a problem, as would games and very CPU dependate programs.

timberwolf1

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2003
Totally agree with TheRod. The C3 config you mentioned is really really slow! :frown:

Gary Hendricks
<A HREF="http://www.digital-music-guide.com" target="_new">Digital-Music-Guide.com</A>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
In reply to:
------------------------------------------------------------
Which means a VIA C3 1.0GHz would not be much faster than a Celeron 1.0GHz based system!
------------------------------------------------------------

If that's the case, I believe it's more than enough to do what he wants
I believe what was being implied is that a VIA C3 1GHz would be about the same as a <i>P4-based</i> Celeron running at 1GHz. (And <i>not</i> a P3-based Celeron.)

and let's not forget VIA C3 is an extremely cool cpu.
So is any Pentium or Athlon underclocked (and equally undervolted) to match the performance of a VIA C3.

<pre><font color=purple><i>Jesters do oft prove prophets.</i> -Regan in
King Lear (Act V, Scene iii) by William Shakespear</font color=purple></pre><p>@ 187K -> 200,000 miles or bust!