Video card for dual monitor

highstead

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
I'm hoping to upgrade to a new video card as that is the current bottle neck of my system. I'm running 2x 1920 by 1200 res on my monitors. I'm under the impression sli won't work with two monitors, but am wondering if perhaps i can dedicate 1 card to each monitor.

I've 2 cores, 4 gigs of ram, and am running XP for the time being. My computer is still running so i don't need this immediately and can wait if something new of significance is going to come out, or if prices are going to drop.

My goals here are to run two copies of wow, one on each monitor. I'm leaning towards Nvidia because the cards are supported better on ubuntu (or at least have been in the past). I'm hoping to avoid buying the "bleeding edge" cards.

Would i be better off with 1 really good card or two pretty good cards?
What kind of memory do i want on a card(s)?
Is there anything coming up on the horizon that will affect card pricing, and should i wait a bit before buying?
Anything else i should consider or any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

highstead

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
So what about allocating 1 video card to each monitor, is this possible? is this beneficial or would i be better off getting 1 really solid video card.

I'm also under the impression i should be looking at higher memory cards due to the resolutions i run at. How high?