ViewSonic VX922 monitor - black screen - green power light flashes

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumby_08

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
I found digikey kinda hard to navigate or there were almost too many options, but I made it through it.

My parts got a lil delayed because of the holiday but they came today.

I just got done and I powered it up, and.... MAN!!!! IT WORKS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

I just wanted to say thank you very much for posting, and what you did to fix yours.

You also saved me a bunch of cash that I really don't have right now. Wish I could shake your hand now or at least buy you a beer.

This is really gonna be good if the other 2 decide to go out.

Thanks alot

Gumby

G

Thank you to everyone who posted this fix, to anyone thinking about trying this and they are unsure. I removed the board, have no idea what a capacitor is so I took it the electronics store. Bought solder, desoldering wick and 4 capacitors for $8.00 and it worked easy as pie. I have basic soldering skills thats all, and it worked like a charm. Mine was a 19" the only difference is I just had to remove the cover on the board not the housing.

G

I had the same problem as original post in that the screen was black and the power led flashing but the screen never came back to life without unplugging it, leaving it for 20 minutes and plugging back in.

The screen was almost three years old, (2yr warranty) but decided to contact ViewSonic given the number of reported failures of the same type.

I had an email response within 24 hours asking me for some further information about serial etc. Once I replied I had a phone call from Laura in customer support who informed me that they would swap it out for a reconditioned one of the same model. Very helpful and happy to arrange a day to suit me.

I received the replacement today which I am delighted to report is working perfectly, with no dead pixels but does have some minor cosmetic damage to the rear of the stand. Thank you to ViewSonic for their prompt service and replacement when my unit was well outside warranty period. Not sure why otheres have not had similar service - perhaps they realise it was poor in the past. Would certainly recommend them to others based on my experience. Just a shame it failed in the first place.
Simon

Gumby_08

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
Sparish,

I'd say you got lucky on your experience.

I've never got email from viewsonic

Never got promised phone calls from them.

And never got a monitor ..(I have 3 VX922's) swapped out like you say you did. I always sent mine back $25.00 bucks UPS, until they made me aware that they knew of the "GREEN BLINKING LIGHT BUG" then I let them foot the shipping till the last time. They told me I had to pay.

One of my bases even got melted one time from a soldering pencil, and they sent it back to me that way.

It was only about a month ago I contacted them so their policies must have just changed.

I say you got real lucky, and I'll never buy from them again.

I use mine for playing games and not just checking emails and the resolution changes just kill the monitor, I never had one stay up and running more than 6 or 8 months and I was sending it back.

Good to hear you had success.

Gumby

maniac99

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Thanks for the info. Viewsonic offered to rma the unit but required me to ship it back at my expense .With some units coming back with dead pixels I am going to try the cap replacement fix. I have the unit in pieces already and all 6 caps noted earlier have swelled. I guess the helpful suggestion of getting the latest viewsonic driver was not going to fix that.

I went for slightly different caps since some of the ones mentioned above where out of stock. Hopefully they will be as good.

1 1 P13457-ND CAP 470UF 10V ELECT EB RADIAL 0 0.21000 $0.21
2 3 P13124-ND CAP 470UF 25V ELECT EB RADIAL 0 0.48000 $1.44
3 2 P12353-ND CAP 1000UF 10V ELECT FM RADIAL 0 0.50000 $1.00

What really amazes me is that my I told the viewsonic guy that the screen went black when changing resolutions and the power button blinked green and could only be fixed by extended power down and he still made me jump through hoops to fix the problem.

I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Alan

leo2kp

Distinguished
I noticed people mentioning their refresh rates. On an LCD it should never go above 60hz unless otherwise specified. If you do, you get problems like that. Most of you probably know this though ;)

maniac99

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Success

With the 6 new caps in place the monitor seems back to normal. I hope the fix holds for more than a couple of years.

As far as refresh rate goes the vx922 can accept video signals up to 75 hz (refresh) but my understanding is that it down converts to 60hz anyway. Anyone else know for sure?

Thanks to everyone who took the time to develop and try this fix out.

Alan

urbs222

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
I do not have the expertise to crack mine open, but I have found another fix that isn't as pretty. I only run into difficulty when I am running the refresh rate at 75. When I run it at 60, it never causes any problems whatsoever. I have no idea why this is the case. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

G

I own 2 VX922 monitors. I bought one in January 2006. Liked it so much I bought another one in September 2006 for a dual monitor setup. They've been great until a few months ago when I installed Windows Vista. Took me a while to figure out the black screen and flashing power light problem. Seems like the monitor driver is going haywire, keeps resetting the refresh rate to 75hz on it's own somehow. The older monitor goes black when that happens but the newer monitor doesn't. I have to turn the monitor off and toggle the refresh rate a couple times, set it back to 60hz, then turn the monitor back on and it's ok. I don't have to unplug it like a previous poster does. Yes, it's annoying. Maybe I should try updating the monitor driver or something. I wonder if Viewsonic replies to emails.

G

ok, now this is really strange. I just updated the drivers for both the graphics card and the monitor throught the Windows Vista driver update button. Everything is working great, but just for the hell of it, I deliberately reset the refresh rate to 75hz to see if the older monitor would black out like it did when I tried that before. Guess what, it didn't! Hmmmmm, well, I'll just see how this goes over the next few days.

Ptgood

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Hello

I have excatly the same problems.

I have opened the screen and get to the circuit shown in the pictures of the post above.

Two capactitors of the six indicated, actually have the top that is curved, not flat as the others.

Tomorrow im going to replace those two capacitors, and I'll let you know.

Goodnight

AL

szhublox

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
So I am really struggling to get the cover off the back of the monitor. Taken the 4 screws out but cannot find the "latches" - any pointers and how to do this? I read on another site there was a slot to get a knife into but can't see that either. (it's definitely a vx922!)

Ptgood

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
I though the same!!

It is really hard, it seems impossible, but try to force hard :fou: with a big knife between the black back-part and the gray frame of the screen. Do it around the whole frame.

You will get it off with no problems.

Goodnight
AL

jonathangl

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Well, I've had the same problem! Green light flashing, complete failure.

I read everything here and since my monitor VX922 was out of warranty and I asked my electronics technician friend to warm up their soldiering iron. My friend explained that it was most likely that a malfuctioning power supply was responsible and I should call Viewsonic to find out more. So, I called Viewsonic and found them more than helpful. Wonderfully helpful!

They had my monitor picked up and returned in perfect working order for no fee whatsoever, that's right, no fee, not even for the transit which was from Melbourne to Sydney.

Here in Australia Viewsonic's warranties and repairs are done by Teleplan, also wonderful to deal with.

Thankyou Viewsonic and Teleplan, it's great to have companies that support their customers. You've won me!!

Jonathan Glenister

CEO Qyntek

Ptgood

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Hi everyone

I have unmounted the back of the screen

I have found 2 capacitors that were not flat but curved on the top

I have replaced them (cost= 2 Euro)

NOW IT WORKS PERFECTLY, LIKE NEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck with yours.
AL

jonathangl

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Hi Ptgood

I think my solution worked well. By if I believe my eletronics technician and, of course Viewsonic, it's the faulty power supply that causes the capacitors to blow up. Does this make sense? Hope your problem is solved. But it may only be for the short-term.

Best regards

Jonathan

enigma776

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Yeah I have recently got the same problem with my VX922 but was working fine up until I changed my GFX card from a 7600GT to a 9800GT and now I get no signal on bootup until the windows login screen or on some games which is odd. My caps look fine too so is this Video card related or drivers related or what as this monitor was working fine until I changed the card 2 weeks ago.

Shugo

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
Well first of all i had the same problem, it happens with all vx922 after 2 years so this monitor sux xD.
An yeah i have the answer;and let me tell u, your problem is just starting soon you wont be able to see anything unless u do what u say, so when that happends you have to turn on your monitor when your pc fully loads your window, otherwise ull get a black flashy screen. Well thats just a temporal solution.

The real problem is those capacitors as ptgood say, if im not wrong those control the voltage converter and/or voltage adapter, you have to change them and ill fix the problem, but since i guess you don't know how to do it find somebody who does and pay for it, before that i recommend you to balance how much will it cost to fix that part and how much does a new monitor cost, if you have the money buy a new one, because your vx922 will die very soon, they all do... it lasted like 3 months till mine died when the problem started, so get ready to buy a new one.

PD: I got mine fixed but after 3 days it started showing black color as dark red, so if i were you buy a new one.

irishbren77

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008

Thanks to David!!!! I followed your instructions to the T and THE PROBLEM IS FIXED. YAAAAY!!! Was so worried that I would have to shell out megabucks for a new monitor. Didn't want to, as I love my VX922. My experience:

First off I should note that I'm not an experienced solderer. I picked up a cheap (30w) electric soldering pen with a fine point, a heatsink, and some thin solder and the capacitors for all under 40 euro (about $60). The store didn't have the exact voltage for the 1000uF capacitors, so I got the next size up (16V, as opposed to 10) and they worked just fine. I practiced desoldering and soldering on an old rinky-dink dial-up modem. There are also some great how-to videos on YouTube.

I took photos with my digital cam as I went along, just to make sure each plug would be replaced into its correct socket. When I saw the power board, I recognized the swollen caps immediately. Luckily, it was only two of the 1000uf capacitors, and not the whole set that needed to be replaced. But the capacitors themselves were super-cheap (about 20 cents a piece), so it was no big thing to keep the spares.

It's almost necessary to have a person with you (or a mechanical holder) to secure the board while you solder and hold the capacitor in place.

The whole operation, start to finish, took about 2-1/2 hours, but I suppose someone with experience would have had this done a good bit faster.

I'm very happy that this whole fix was cheap and fast and I can keep my VX922. Thanks again, David, for taking the time to post your procedure. I appreciate it.

G

I've replaced ALL 11 electrolitic capacitors of 200-000-170DTLBMH power supply with exact replacements, these are:
1 - 100uF 450V
4 - 680uF 25V
2 - 470uF 25V
3 - 220uF 25V
1 - 22uF 50V
1 - 10uF 50V

but monitor is still becoming black while is turned on.
Any other idea?
Thanks.

Tracman

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
Found this thread thru Google last night. My VX922 was driving me nuts doing just what everyone else has been experiencing. I was constantly unplugging it to get it to work with a different resolution. I don't do games. Could not even boot up past the original XP screen before it went black when trying to switch to my higher resolution for the desktop. I took it apart today and found 5 of the 6 caps were bulging up. Radio Shack did not have the exact ones but they had 470 and 1000 in higher voltages (slightly larger physical size). I bought them, squeezed them in, and the monitor is now working perfectly, just like new. Thank you for posting the solution, it's a lifesaver!

jaylil

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
This happened to me a few minutes ago. My VX922 is the secondary display in my dual-monitor system. I locked the computer and went to take a shower and when I came back and logged in there it was, black screen, flashing power light. I turned it off, unplugged it for a minute, turned it back on and it works again. :??: I'm hoping that will be the end of it.

I have not made any changes to any of its settings since I reinstalled Vista in december.

enigma776

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Well I have had a result from ViewSonic, they are replacing my monitor with a new one so no soldering for me. Thank god for a 3 year warranty.

GOM

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
Have the same problem with my VX922 & VX910.

Called ViewSonic got an RMA for my VX922, the VX910 I am SOL. So I will take apart the VX910 and see what is happening.. Thanks for the info all.....

PS.

I guess I got lucky with my VeiwSonic call, 10 min on phone, have RMA... :bounce:

Status
Not open for further replies.