Question Virgin media Hub5 replacement?

Altom_

Reputable
Dec 18, 2020
currently got a Virgin media hub 5 and it seems to be dropping out and coming back sometimes i can take ages to come back and only way to fix it is restart the router however
after looking into it a bit i believe its something to do with the Sync timing and i believe that indicates a problem with the timing synchronization of the modem.
now i go through the trouble shooting with virgin they say something wrong with it they reset it for 20mins and then ill have the problem again later.

i was hoping if there any suggestions for a replacement for it.

kanewolf

Titan
currently got a Virgin media hub 5 and it seems to be dropping out and coming back sometimes i can take ages to come back and only way to fix it is restart the router however
after looking into it a bit i believe its something to do with the Sync timing and i believe that indicates a problem with the timing synchronization of the modem.
now i go through the trouble shooting with virgin they say something wrong with it they reset it for 20mins and then ill have the problem again later.

i was hoping if there any suggestions for a replacement for it.
First thing is to see if you have a cabling problem in your house. Coax can have issues. My first troubleshooting step would be to run new coax across the floor to the outside where the coax comes from the street.

Altom_

Reputable
Dec 18, 2020
First thing is to see if you have a cabling problem in your house. Coax can have issues. My first troubleshooting step would be to run new coax across the floor to the outside where the coax comes from the street.
I will give it ago though I don't think that would cause a intermittent problem but then again if it was a connection from outside the house maybe from the weather it could be sending incorrect data? I'm not sure

Altom_

Reputable
Dec 18, 2020
internet keeps going out
i did make a post about this the other day and was recommended to switching the coax i have replaced it and also the Y splitter for the broadband and TV from SKY it works all the same and of course it still drops out now last time i believed it was something about timing sync and it still may well be that as network logs do show that but im only left with either getting a replacement from virgin and probably having the same problem or buying a new router and even then it might not work i'd like some advice if possible.

kanewolf

Titan
internet keeps going out
i did make a post about this the other day and was recommended to switching the coax i have replaced it and also the Y splitter for the broadband and TV from SKY it works all the same and of course it still drops out now last time i believed it was something about timing sync and it still may well be that as network logs do show that but im only left with either getting a replacement from virgin and probably having the same problem or buying a new router and even then it might not work i'd like some advice if possible.
If you are going to buy something get a standalone modem and separate router. Why? Integrated units have less flexibility. With a standalone router, you can change ISPs and never have to change anything on your network.
See if you can get a modem ONLY from virgin.

Altom_

Reputable
Dec 18, 2020
If you are going to buy something get a standalone modem and separate router. Why? Integrated units have less flexibility. With a standalone router, you can change ISPs and never have to change anything on your network.
See if you can get a modem ONLY from virgin.
yea we had a guy come out Friday and claims that we have too much power coming in so he's adjusted the down and up stream and and it was ok for a day now its gone poop again I did ask about one and he didn't have any on hand but also said something else about it can't remember now. however he did give us some other details to contact but at the moment its a mystery of what's going on . There was talk about replacing the RG11 cable to RG6 i believe to the house and that seems like its going to be a pain to do