Virus block all antivirus sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxn4s

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
Hello,
a virus has blocked access to all anti virus sites, i installed avg 8.0 and malware bites but they cant be updated since there is no access to their sites. i ran ful scan using avg 8.0 and malware bites but it is of no use. please tell me how ican access to blocked antivirus sites . [without formatting my computer]

Solution

Let MalwareBytes run its Quick Scan without updating first and deal with anything it finds. Restart and run the Full Scan then restart after getting rid of anything it found that time and finally, click on the Logs tab then copy and paste both logs back here to show us what you've deleted. MBAM will find something even without the latest update and whatever it fixes will help get you back...

A. Have you tried to run system restore, setting the drive back to a time before the computer became corrupted? Some of the new viruses prevent system restore from running, but it''s worth a try. Restore does not erase your personal files and is reversible.
click start
click all programs
click accessories
click system tools
click system restore
check the box that says restore my computer to an earlier time, click next
select a bold date on the calender, a date before the problem started, click next
follow through with the restore directions
restart the computer after it finishes
if the system restore does not work, select an even earlier bold date on the calender and repeat the procedure
try this with at least four earlier dates before giving up and trying something else

B. You may recognize that the security system you previously installed did not do a very good job, you can use a more advanced security system to try to neutralize the virus infection. A great deal of the times, this method works.
Obtain a disk from the office supply store or Amazon, buy Panda Internet Security 2010 or Norton 360
Make sure your internet is connected
Put the disk in the drive and start the computer
The disk will connect, update, scan, neutralize the virus without starting windows, but it does not work with all viruses. A great deal of times it does work.
If the system is successfully restored, delete your current security and install and run the more advanced security from now on. Only use one security solution, not multiple systems.

C. In the last solution, you need a second computer with XP installed, and a high quality updated antivirus installed.
Remove the infected drive and install it as a second drive in the functional XP computer
Scan the bad drive with the functional anti virus in the second computer, quarantine or neutralize the virus.
Copy and back up your personal files from the bad drive with the second computer, this is very important.

D. If you were able to fix the drive, good. That has worked a bunch of times. In fact for me, it has worked every time.
If you were unable to get the virus out, you will need to reformat the drive, reinstall the OS and drivers, load your back up personal files that you saved with the second XP computer. Now you may want to use that more advanced security system I mentioned above, from now on, might be a good idea.

Let MalwareBytes run its Quick Scan without updating first and deal with anything it finds. Restart and run the Full Scan then restart after getting rid of anything it found that time and finally, click on the Logs tab then copy and paste both logs back here to show us what you've deleted. MBAM will find something even without the latest update and whatever it fixes will help get you back online.[/#000ff]

Solution

I admire your faith in Symantec, Tigsounds, but I can assure you I come across infections like this daily in systems where Norton was supposed to be standing guard. The current crop of threats need particularly strong and up to date utilities to deal with them properly - MalwareBytes is just one of many that will be suggested before this thread ends if the OP comes back.

lewza

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
Norton is not a great product for what your paying, it does a job a free anti virus will do. What you have got to remember is malware and trojans will not always be stopped from Anti Virus's. Every now and then they will still penetrate through the Anti Virus.

My advice would be to install Malwarebytes which I believe you have done already, reboot the machine and boot up in safe mode with networking as 'aford10' mentioned. Run an update and then try running a full scan here.

Failing that, it seems the only other option would be to do what 'guruman' mentioned.

However, ALWAYS back up your data just incase you need to do a reload.

Status
Not open for further replies.