Vista on Asrock dual939 Board and SATAII Drive issue

Yodan4

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
I have the Asrock Dual939 SATAII board and trying to do a fresh install of Vista on an new Western Digital SATAII drive. I booted to the DVD and When I began installing Vista asked for drivers for the Drive. I found them on the Boards CD and properly installed them. (Jmicron 32bit for 200ok/XP) At that point the drive showed up and I formatted and partitioned it. Installed Vista on C drive which was identified as primary. The install process went straight through and near the end it needed to reboot. I took the CD out of the drive, made sure the drive was identified as 1st boot and fired it up. The Vista "bar" showed it was trying to load comes up but then within about 8 secs it reboots the system. It keeps doing that. I reinstalled Vista several times each with the same results. I think I have SATAII configured right in the Bios as non-raid and auto identified. Is there another setting I need to make sure is properly configured? Anyone know of newer SATAII drivers for this board? Any other thoughts?

Solution
I have the Asrock Dual939 SATAII board and trying to do a fresh install of Vista on an new Western Digital SATAII drive. I booted to the DVD and When I began installing Vista asked for drivers for the Drive. I found them on the Boards CD and properly installed them. (Jmicron 32bit for 200ok/XP) At that point the drive showed up and I formatted and partitioned it. Installed Vista on C drive which was identified as primary. The install process went straight through and near the end it needed to reboot. I took the CD out of the drive, made sure the drive was identified as 1st boot and fired it up. The Vista "bar" showed it was trying to load comes up but then within about 8 secs it reboots the system. It keeps doing that. I...

pat

Expert
I have the Asrock Dual939 SATAII board and trying to do a fresh install of Vista on an new Western Digital SATAII drive. I booted to the DVD and When I began installing Vista asked for drivers for the Drive. I found them on the Boards CD and properly installed them. (Jmicron 32bit for 200ok/XP) At that point the drive showed up and I formatted and partitioned it. Installed Vista on C drive which was identified as primary. The install process went straight through and near the end it needed to reboot. I took the CD out of the drive, made sure the drive was identified as 1st boot and fired it up. The Vista "bar" showed it was trying to load comes up but then within about 8 secs it reboots the system. It keeps doing that. I reinstalled Vista several times each with the same results. I think I have SATAII configured right in the Bios as non-raid and auto identified. Is there another setting I need to make sure is properly configured? Anyone know of newer SATAII drivers for this board? Any other thoughts?

first, jmicron controller can only be set as emulated IDE or SATA2. Set it to IDE(or PATA, I don't remember the exact term) and no drivers will be necessary.

RAID can only be used for the ULI controller. The ULI is not SATA2. When not set as RAID, no drivers are needed for the ULI controller too.

so, make sure you know which connector belong to the jmicron and which one are for the ULI. then keep is simple by using no SATA2 option. You may not have to reinstall VISTA, if you simply change controller mode to normal, and it could boot normally.

Since you talked about SATA2 configured for non RAID(which cannot be done with jmicron controller, the only one that use SATA2, and it only has 1 connector)), I think you may not correctly know which controller do what and mixed drivers, causing Vista to use improper drivers for the controller.

Solution