Vista to Windows 7 Free Upgrade Plans Leaked?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]I'm not saying I necessarily disagree with you but from a business standpoint there is no legitimate argument for giving away the software. The businesses still using XP aren't going to switch to Mac OS X or linux so the Windows market share isn't going to change. They are either going to purchase Windows 7 licenses and upgrade their business or they are not. In the eyes of Microsoft every business currently running XP or Vista is a potential buyer. Why would you give away software to a potential buyer? Developer support is going to be fine. Programs that work on Vista are 95% likely to work on 7 and those that don't work won't need major re-codes because the basic kernel hasn't changed much. Most software from the past 5 years will be 7-ready out of the gate. Giving away the software isn't going to change that.There is just no reason, outside of wishful thinking, for Microsoft to give away the software. None.[/citation]

They are not 'giving away' the software, mister business man. If that is official, they actually pre-sale 7 licenses even though it is'nt out yet, giving a temporary OS to the crowd. A move that can actually boost poor Vista sales.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
[citation][nom]pcfxer[/nom]Funny how, you, being an expert and everything, has just double posted.[/citation]

Yea but most people who make comments don't flame for that on this site. I've seen my posts not show up for a good minute or two and then suddenly appear.

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]V8VENOM[/nom]Apple are releasing a new OS BEFORE Microsoft, it's $179 - one version does all. There will be some real changes in the OS, full 64bit support is one.People buying new computers are people buying laptops, guess who sells the most laptops -- yes that would be Apple. Heck, if you don't believe me, just go to your local coffee shop and look around, oh you see some Mac laptops....hmmm...what do ya know.[/citation]

I think you're making THG readers laugh more than you could believe.

Apple was in 2007 selling 1 in 6 laptops. Sure, that's great for Apple, but how is it out selling Windows? That's what we're comparing right? MacOS and Windows, not hardware sales? So for laptops, 1 in every 6 come with Mac, the other 5 come with Windows, or throwing Linux a bone.. 1 Mac, 1 Linux, 4 Windows based laptops. Yes, that's better than before, but with the arrival of Netbooks and currently no answer to them from Apple.. that means even more Windows in the market, Linux as well.

You also mention Apple is going to be offering a new OS before MS, so what? Could I upgrade my Vista-based PC to the new OSX? No. So, that really only applies to current Apple users and potential new buyers.

Competition is a great thing, however there is no way OSX is going to over-take Windows anytime soon. Windows currently holds 88.2% of the market, while Mac is almost at 10%, followed by Linux with less than 1%.

Are you seriously claiming Apple's OS is going to over-take MS in the near future or even in 10 years? That I think will have more people laughing at you, than with you.

I still have not had a single problem with Vista, nor have the other 3 PCs in my house. While I can't claim there were no problems, a lot of it was blown out of proportion.

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]Eccentric909[/nom]I think you're making THG readers laugh more than you could believe.Apple was in 2007 selling 1 in 6 laptops. Sure, that's great for Apple, but how is it out selling Windows? That's what we're comparing right? MacOS and Windows, not hardware sales? So for laptops, 1 in every 6 come with Mac, the other 5 come with Windows, or throwing Linux a bone.. 1 Mac, 1 Linux, 4 Windows based laptops. Yes, that's better than before, but with the arrival of Netbooks and currently no answer to them from Apple.. that means even more Windows in the market, Linux as well.You also mention Apple is going to be offering a new OS before MS, so what? Could I upgrade my Vista-based PC to the new OSX? No. So, that really only applies to current Apple users and potential new buyers.Competition is a great thing, however there is no way OSX is going to over-take Windows anytime soon. Windows currently holds 88.2% of the market, while Mac is almost at 10%, followed by Linux with less than 1%.Are you seriously claiming Apple's OS is going to over-take MS in the near future or even in 10 years? That I think will have more people laughing at you, than with you.I still have not had a single problem with Vista, nor have the other 3 PCs in my house. While I can't claim there were no problems, a lot of it was blown out of proportion.[/citation]

An OS that still struggle to run at it's full potential with 2Gig of ram IS problematic. With Vista it is'nt a stability problem, it's an obvious performance problem. I understand with each new OS it's normal to have it demand more juice. But Vista needs are ridiculous. XP run at it's full potential with 768mb-1gig of RAM, Vista should run at it's full potential with 2gig if you ask me. Yet you really need 4gig to run it with fair performances, and even then, from what I seen, it still does'nt run at it's full potential. I know ram is becoming more and more cheap, but when you got alternative OSes (Linux) that do better OS visual and have about the same features and complexity, if not more, and can do all that smoothly with only 512mb of ram, you know there is cheap ass work somewhere from Microsoft. Saying Microsoft is more easy to use, more compatible and got the majority of the OS market is'nt an excuse to that. It's just a reason why it stays like that. And maybe rumors of that move from Microsoft is due to a fear from them from loosing their piece of the market share. Linux market is growing, slowly, but it's sure growing. BS me all you want to you run Vista smoothly with 2gig of ram cause you 'tweaked' it, I know the OS does'nt run when even with 2gig ram. I got 2gig, current hard drives, and a e6400 cpu and it takes about 5 minutes if not more just to load it. I always turn my HD TV into TV mode while it loads cause it,s so long. Tweaking it means desactivating features, it's just a proof that you don't run it at it's full potential.

hop

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
I like Apples, but lets face it, Microsoft is deep pocketed and they can bully even the likes of Apple. Apple sells eye candy, that's their market. Windows, though less than perfect, has a strong grip over the enterprise space as well as in the homes. Until Apple can eat away at Microsoft's enterprise dominance, Apple will never be more than an eye candy niche market company. Microsoft will not let than happen anytime soon. They maybe slow, they may turn out buggy software, but they are smart. Remember, Gates buying qDos for 50k? This tactic will continue, Microsoft will continue to buy out, if not bully out the competition.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Eccentric,

I predicted the economic crash. I predict that the 800 Billion stimulus will only INCREASE foreclosure rates because it would be in the banks best interest to do so to get the Fed funding.

I also predict that MS's economic market share as a company (not just the OS) will take 2nd place to Apple -- within 5 years. Windows 7 is gonna be another Mega-flop just like Vista, cause it essentially is Vista. Microsoft can't keep producing Mega-flops and think they'll retain a dominant market share.

Oh oh oh people are laughing at me, oh let me climb under a rock and hide -- what a pathetic statement. I've been around too too too long to give a rats ass about what other's "think" they know.

Your market share numbers are off BTW, not that it matters cause you're stuck in your box of thinking. Embedding and small computer devices is where the money is at -- laptops, PDA, Phones, gaming consoles. Microsoft's biggest problem is where the heck does Vista or Windows 7 fit in the embedded market? It doesn't, cause it's just WAY to slow/bloated. 4GB RAM to run Vista at moderate performance levels, that's insane, that's code bloat, that's Microsoft NOT doing their job.

You obviously aren't a power user to say "I've never had a problem with Vista". Heck, even visiting Tom's web site and it's a 50/50 to see if IE "stops responding" -- usually because it's blocking one of the many ad trackers embedded in tom's web site.

Gryphyn

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Maybe you don't see many laptops other than Macs at your local coffee shop of an afternoon because those people have jobs?

Seriously though, nothing against apple here. I have several different OSes in my house, including Vista. Vista doesn't have a problem, and I rather like it. It runs just fine on 2 gigs of RAM, unless you're a power user. XP runs just fine on less than a gig of RAM...unless you're a power user.

Calm down Venom.

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]V8VENOM[/nom]Eccentric,I predicted the economic crash. I predict that the 800 Billion stimulus will only INCREASE foreclosure rates because it would be in the banks best interest to do so to get the Fed funding.I also predict that MS's economic market share as a company (not just the OS) will take 2nd place to Apple -- within 5 years. Windows 7 is gonna be another Mega-flop just like Vista, cause it essentially is Vista. Microsoft can't keep producing Mega-flops and think they'll retain a dominant market share.Oh oh oh people are laughing at me, oh let me climb under a rock and hide -- what a pathetic statement. I've been around too too too long to give a rats ass about what other's "think" they know.Your market share numbers are off BTW, not that it matters cause you're stuck in your box of thinking. Embedding and small computer devices is where the money is at -- laptops, PDA, Phones, gaming consoles. Microsoft's biggest problem is where the heck does Vista or Windows 7 fit in the embedded market? It doesn't, cause it's just WAY to slow/bloated. 4GB RAM to run Vista at moderate performance levels, that's insane, that's code bloat, that's Microsoft NOT doing their job.You obviously aren't a power user to say "I've never had a problem with Vista". Heck, even visiting Tom's web site and it's a 50/50 to see if IE "stops responding" -- usually because it's blocking one of the many ad trackers embedded in tom's web site.[/citation]

Yeah, exactly. I mean, they promise better performance with 7, but when the hell is it coming out, Q4 2010? Or even later. By then the hardware standards will have evolved. So will it really be more reliable performance-wise than Vista or it's just that by then the standards will make it look like it on the OEMs. Vista is a disaster especially on the laptops market (the embedded as you say), considaring the hardware level is lower than on desktops. Many people are complaining with reasons. It's easy to say I have no problem with Vista when your a computer enthusiast (an uneducated one sould I say) with a beast of a machine, but let's face it, it's not the mainstream market. Stop watching the Windows Mojave ads, it's bullshit. If you know a computer illetrate that say he does'nt have any problem with Vista it's just that he does'nt know any better. Any person who know a bit about computer and have a brand new 08-09 mainstream laptop with Vista on will tell you it's bullshit and that he wants XP back.

I don't know about Apple taking a big leap in the next 5 years, I'm not good at market prediction. What I know is that the economic 'crisis' was'nt hard to 'predict' when you see how the private banks (the 'Fed', which have nothing to do with the US government) is making huge amounts at lending(printing) money to US thus increasing it's debt and now the world's debt since we are heading more and more towards a world economy.

G

Microsoft doesn't want to give me Win7 after I bought two copies of Vista that can't even manage to shutdown my computer right? I think not.

Milleman

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
I'm glad I'm not a part of this OS Scam. Not using Windows any more and it feels great. First they charged the world for Vista, which was a imature product. Then they charging the world once more, for something that should be offered in the first place. Just say no to M$ drugs!

G

I bought a Windows XP machine from Gateway that included a free upgrade to Vista just before Vista was available. But I never got the "upgrade". When I called Gateway they said since it was a "free" upgrade its not their problem. I got the last laugh this time because Vista turned out to be a mess but I really didn't like being cheated.

G

I agree, Free (Upgrades to Vista and XP users) would be the best decision they could make right now. It would reassure the market, possibly win back frustrated mac users (That I know exist..) and put the world back on a common platform. On the flip side no one likes a monopoly but lets face it, For corporate computing there is no real alternative. Win 7 is a true winner and It's their chance to win back serious face. As for competition, I believe that a good product should take care of itself. That's why people are apprehensive to use Vista.

ThePatriot

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
Apples sells eye candy?
Does Porche, Mercedes or Audi sell eye candy? They sell the best cars that is not everyone and therefore they will never have a large market share. With Apple it is not any different.
Apple serves a particular market, a market that MS can't serve.
And if you say that MS is better than Apple or visa verse, then you don't have a clue and are at best just a fan boy.

davidgbailey

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
"From reports of the beta experience, Windows 7 is the new Microsoft OS that everyone’s been waiting for"????? Yeah, waiting for 8 years. Good luck with that one. And it appears that no one has learned the lessons that Vista provided. I hope 7 crashes and burns and they launch another "refresh" with the same code under a new name for a new price a year later. That way everyone will have to keep paying for upgrades ... or XP will live on forever!

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]DavidGBailey[/nom]"From reports of the beta experience, Windows 7 is the new Microsoft OS that everyone’s been waiting for"????? Yeah, waiting for 8 years. Good luck with that one. And it appears that no one has learned the lessons that Vista provided. I hope 7 crashes and burns and they launch another "refresh" with the same code under a new name for a new price a year later. That way everyone will have to keep paying for upgrades ... or XP will live on forever![/citation]
Good god man,

Have you ever said anything that wasn't retarded?

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
Hell, I have two Retail Vista Ultimates that got used for a total of 1 week and 2 months. If anyone deserves to get a free upgrade it is people like me who have pretty much never used the Vista Retail we bought because Microsoft put out a peice of junk. I probably never would have gotten Vista at all if it was not for DirectX 10 and the truth is most games today still perform worse in DirectX 10 than they do DirectX 9c. I am still not convinced I even want Windows 7, as my first three day experiment with it left me with a bad gut feeling.

Windows UAC on normal mode.
Do you want to run program x.exe which was downloaded from the internet?
Yes
x.exe does not have a certificate. Are you sure you want to run this program?
Yes
x.exe wants to make changes to your system. Do you want it to proceed?
Yes
x.exe wants access to the internet. What should we do?
Deny access this time and every time after.

Windows UAC on the third option mode.
Yes
Yes
Yes

Windows UAC completely disabled and after a reboot.
Yes
Yes
Yes

Anyone explain why every instance of UAC is exactly the same and just as fucking annoying?

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Disable the UAC, dumbass. If you can't figure out how then you have no right complaining.

There is an awful lot of misinformation flying around this thread.
Vista is a very good operating system (gasp!)
Yes, you do need a dual core processor and two GBs of RAM. Get with the times. Are you using the Aero theme with integrated graphics? Disable it!

Most companies didn't adopt XP until 4 or 5 years ago. Vista has been out for 3 years.

What other OS analyzes your usage patterns and uses your RAM to open things quicker? Only Vista!

XP also received a lot of crap in it's day when it first came out. Only the difference between now and then is there are a lot less self-righteous bloggers to whine about it.

For those of you who think OSX will take the place of Windows: Lets see Apple support all the legacy devices required by different companies and people. Lets see Apple make a case that will house a proper graphics card for games. Lets see what happens to the so called virus free OSX if it ever becomes mainstream enough for virus programmers to write code for it. The whole Unix layer argument is such a joke. Unix is only a file structure and command protocol retards! Get educated and stop spewing the same crap. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix
It has nothing to do with virus protection or security or stability.
It is only a common standard so programmers and academics can collaborate easier.

Realistically Mac users do two things with their Macs: browse the internet and listen to iTunes on their terrible tin can speakers. Lets see what happens when their is some real functionality.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
[citation][nom]ThePatriot[/nom]Apples sells eye candy?Does Porche, Mercedes or Audi sell eye candy? They sell the best cars that is not everyone and therefore they will never have a large market share. With Apple it is not any different.Apple serves a particular market, a market that MS can't serve.And if you say that MS is better than Apple or visa verse, then you don't have a clue and are at best just a fan boy.[/citation]

That comparison is pretty thought out.

Macs are not performance computers. Simply look at the cases they come in. They are designed to be slim, aesthetically appealing, fashionable. They cannot dissipate heat well or even fit a modern graphics card.

Also, the price difference between Macs and Windows based computers is such that people cannot afford them. $1500 buys a Macbook pro, and many people are willing to spend that much on a Windows based computer. Where people have an issue is the quality parts and their performance you get for the money.

Macbooks are supposed to be very user friendly, which they are, I will tip my hat to Apple on that. Apple makes computers for people who have very basic tasks, but still want to spend the same amount of money as you would for a medium high end Windows build.

hannibal

Distinguished
Microsoft don't need those people who allready have Vista to become win7 users, because Win 7 is actually Vista with upgrades. Programs that works in Win7 works allso in Vista, so they allready have those in their "pocket"... So it's very difficult to see them giving them free upgrade.
They are allso guite sure, that some people who says that "Vista is no good" are willing/going to buy win7 in anyway, so they get their money again... Good busines for them, even not so good to the customers.

How I can see it, is that if you allready have Vista, there is no need to upgrade to win7. If you are buying a new computer, you may have to think if you are going to wait. This upgrade option is for them. Most companies are going to wait for win7 and even SP1 until they upgrade. If they need new computers now... they will use what ever os they allready have because every upgrade in big company is really pain in the... They may even buy Vista after win7 is released if they allready have Vista machines, because the compability with older machines is the most vital thing... The place where I work is planning to go to win7, but it can take time... Maybe in 2010 or 2011 after everything has been checked and double checked...

Summasummarum. You can do everything, that you can do with win7, allso with Vista, so no need to worry. The support for XP last for some time. After that you most propably have to upgrade to something and I think that Apple Os and Linux are the things that Microsoft is least conserned at this moment (I like Linux my self, but there has not been big leap to it so far... So there is not going to be one in near future either.). Microsofts "reputation" is important to them and that is what win7 is for. New name, with some facelift and all the upgrades that Vista have got so far. So it really is better than Vista was when it was released. (Not better than Vista is now...) But it's what most normal people are interested in and now most new computer even can run it properly. It's not much better to those who have XP now, because it still is much heavier OS than XP. But sooner or later everybody have to upgrade and the facelifted Vista is what they will get.

Status
Not open for further replies.