alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
I have two upgrade Vista disks. One is from Dell and is tied to the system, but the other one came with MCE05, and I do not want to change that one, it goes on a DVR. I do want to put it on my DX-10 gaming rig, probably dual boot. I have a new XP Pro to use on that system so can I upgrade XP Pro with the Home Premium upgrade?

Solution
Those upgrade disk will only do that, upgrade an existing XP image to run Vista. To do the dual-boot thing, you will need to update one of your systems and then install a copy of XP. One of them has to be a full install version disk that you can boot from. I don't know what Vista upgrade will do to a dual-boot XP system (both booting into XP).

joke

Distinguished
May 15, 2005
Those upgrade disk will only do that, upgrade an existing XP image to run Vista. To do the dual-boot thing, you will need to update one of your systems and then install a copy of XP. One of them has to be a full install version disk that you can boot from. I don't know what Vista upgrade will do to a dual-boot XP system (both booting into XP).

Solution