Question VK2828U7G5LF GPS module only works after 2 - 3 hours?

Oct 17, 2020
Hi!

I'm using a VK2828U7G5LF Miniature GPS Module and the problem is that it starts working after 2-3 hours. I connected it to Arduino and I have to leave it connected 2-3 hours to start. When started, the power indicator blinks every second.

Some mentions:
  • the module is the only one connected to Arduino (no other sensors or modules);
  • i tried to connect the EN pin to 0V, 3V3, 5V and floating (high voltage or floating should enable the module);
  • the module works well after is started;
  • the wires have good conduction (I tested end-to-end).
I leave the manual of the module here.
Thank you!

OldSurferDude

Reputable
May 18, 2019
The module I use is not the same as yours but I have found it does take quite a while to get a signal. But not two to three hours. It could be that you are inside or shaded electronically from the satellites.

I am not an expert on GPS modules and there are people that follow this forum that are. I suggest that location is just a starting point.

Oct 17, 2020
It could be, indeed. But first 4-5 times I used the module is was fine. It was starting in maximum 30 seconds in the same place I'm now. The signal here is also very good.

Thank you for the answer!
I'm waiting for other opinions.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi!

I'm using a VK2828U7G5LF Miniature GPS Module and the problem is that it starts working after 2-3 hours. I connected it to Arduino and I have to leave it connected 2-3 hours to start. When started, the power indicator blinks every second.

Some mentions:
  • the module is the only one connected to Arduino (no other sensors or modules);
  • i tried to connect the EN pin to 0V, 3V3, 5V and floating (high voltage or floating should enable the module);
  • the module works well after is started;
  • the wires have good conduction (I tested end-to-end).
I leave the manual of the module here.
Thank you!
Is there ANY serial traffic at startup? Or is it 2 hours before ANY traffic is sent?

Oct 17, 2020
I was using the TX and RX on Arduino at first, but now I'm using the SoftwareSerial library for serial traffic. But the answer is no. At the moment, the GPS module is the only one connected to Arduino to 2 and 3 pins.
The GPS module starts randomly. I let them all connected and after a long time the module starts blinking.

kanewolf

Titan
I was using the TX and RX on Arduino at first, but now I'm using the SoftwareSerial library for serial traffic. But the answer is no. At the moment, the GPS module is the only one connected to Arduino to 2 and 3 pins.
The GPS module starts randomly. I let them all connected and after a long time the module starts blinking.
It is an $8 device. So it may just have a hardware problem. Bad solder is the most likely problem.