Question Voltage supply issue related to NUC PC Core i7

Oct 8, 2024
Hi Everyone,

My name is Kamran, and I am a PhD student. I want to build a compact system that includes many components along with the NUC PC Core i7-12700H for medical purposes. The NUC PC works fine with the power cable I received from the company, which has the following specifications: 19V, 6.32A, and 120W, and it operates on AC 80-240V. However, I want to create a compact system that incorporates the NUC PC with other instruments without using power cables for any of the components, in order to save space and make the system very compact. Instead, I would like to use a multiple DC output AC to DC converter to provide power to the various components and instruments.

The issue is that the NUC PC requires 19V DC, and I haven't found a multiple-output AC to DC power converter that provides 19V DC. After extensive research, I concluded that I could use a 15V DC power supply with a current rating of 8A, as I was unable to find any multiple-output AC to DC converter that offers outputs of 18V, 19V, or 20V.

I’m unsure whether this option would be suitable for running the NUC PC effectively or if it would create problems. If there are any experts here, please guide me.

Your assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I suppose it depends on how compact you are wanting. Plenty of modular bench PSUs that can have multiple DC outputs. Though that would be very expensive.

If the input is fine with the lower voltage, you need only be aware that running the extra current through the VRMs in the system at peak power will shorten their operational life through higher temperatures. Of course that assumes you ever get anywhere near 120W in operation. As long as they are capable of dissipating sufficient heat for your load, they may last more than long enough.

I don't think you will find anyone who has had a 12700H NUC long enough that also uses a 15V power supply.