Voltage too low or high on OC?/ Temperature problems?

jcpwn3r

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
I overclocked my e8400 to 3.6 ghz after installing my new glacial tech f101 heatsink and HAF 932 case. I set the voltage to 1.325 I believe, do you think that's a bit too low or high, when I got it around 1.38, my system made whining noises and froze a lot.

I've run the CPU through the gauntlet that is crysis on max settings for an hour then I played COD MW2 for like 4 hours and it seemed fine.
(side note: got a huge increase in FPS from doing this)

I want to ramp it up to around 4ghz later on and I am also wondering if that voltage would be safe for that, I know this sounds petty but I don't really like messing around with voltages, I have a bad taste in my mouth from my first ever OC a few months ago where I got the blue screen of death and a memory dump.

jcpwn3r

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
This is a reboot of my old thread, it is still related. recently, my 3.6ghz OC went BSOD, so I tried to OC again but my computer would no longer boot, then I tried it at a 1700fsb, and no boot, then at 1500 fsb and no boot (default FSB is 1333). so i went back to stock. I checked how my temps were with core temp and it said that my C0 has a range of 26-34 celcius and that c1 is always at 36. is this odd that the temperature never changes and should my c0 temp have a greater range?

any comments would be helpful but please be gentile, i'm fine at putting the thing together but I'm still new at software configuration.