Question VRAM Clock stuck at 810MGz (GTX 1060 6GB with Max-Q Design) Please Help

Nov 16, 2020
I have HP Omen gaming laptop with i7-6700 HQ, GTX 1060 6GB Max-Q, and 16 GB RAM. I was gaming at over 100 FPS @ 1080p in many games until a week ago, the performance just dropped significantly and I am stuck with 45 FPS at best. I read the forums and searched for possible fixes on the internet and tried a lot of them but nothing seam to work. I have uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers, re-installed Windows, and I even updated the BIOS. Not to mention some other tweaks like registry edits including disabling game DVR. Everything failed.

I ran monitoring software (MSI Afterburner) and everything is normal except the FPS and possibly low usage of VRAM (I don't really know for sure). So I thought I ask you for a possible solution or fix. I am gaming on a laptop (Using High performance power plan + sat Nvidia control panel to prefer best performance) so upgrading is not an option for me and I know that my GPU was working properly until few days ago.

I noticed a couple of strange occurrences that may help you help me

1- While using the Ugiene Heaven Benchmark tool, I kept it benchmarking and raised everything to high with 1080p resolution, after maybe 5 mins I noticed that FPS got a sudden boost and it worked properly again, so I immediately stopped the benchmark ran a game and I got 123 FPS (which is what I used to get before). However, after restarting the computer it went back to getting around 45 FPS. Strange !!

When working properly (123 FPS)

GPU Temp. 80

GPU usage: 100%

GPU Clock: 1354 MHz

VRAM Used: 2331 MB

VRAM Clock: 4007 MHz

CPU Temp: 88

CPU Usage: 83%

CPU Clock: 3410 MHz

When not working properly (45 FPS)

GPU Temp. 53

GPU usage: 100%

GPU Clock: 1034 MHz

VRAM Used: 984 MB

VRAM Clock: 810MHz

CPU Temp: 62

CPU Usage: 67%

CPU Clock: 3410 MHz

As you can see there is no Bottleneck, and it was performing smoothly just a week ago !

2- When I was searching for the driver version to write this, I opened device manger and found it to be 27.21.14.5730 which I know is incorrect. However MSI Afterburner was able to show me the right one which is 457.30 which is the latest one for my computer. I used MSI because I don't have GeForce Experience as I just reinstalled windows

Please do try you best to help me, I have a medical condition (Sickle Cell) and get hospitalized a lot and the only thing that passes the time and the pain is gaming on my Laptop

I appreciate taking the time to help me, Thank you

P.S. Sorry for the long topic, I just want to be clear

Update: The core problem appears to be the VRAM clock is stuck at 810MGz