Question Wake on lan over internet. Issues.

zoozoo

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016
Illustration link

Basically i want to start my pc over internet as illustrated in SCENE 3.
For that, I successfully tried SCENE 1. But SCENE 2 is not working. In scene 2 and 3, in my understanding, the issue is due to different IP address. So that the call is not able to reach the level 2 device.

I have tried to explain the details and issues in the illustration. I have no doubt that I am a beginner, and I might not be familiar with few simple technical stuff. Please provide your experienced suggestions to sort it out. Thank you.

The answer to a beginner is there is no such thing as wake on WAN so it can't be done. LAN by definition means it is on the same subnet.

There are a number of hack solutions but they are all dependent on a static ARP entry which most comsumer routers can not do. You can search if you really want to know details.

The best solution I have seen is a router that has a WoL feature. You remotely log into the router and ask it to send the packet into the LAN. Since the router is actually connected to the LAN it can easily send actual WoL packets.

Before you chase down this path too far some of the sleep/power save modes in modern computers do not use much more power than the WoL state.

Many times special power adapters you can remotely access and turn power on and off tend to work better than WoL. WoL can get stuck when the machine is not shutdown correctly.

Reactions: zoozoo

zoozoo

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016
The answer to a beginner is there is no such thing as wake on WAN so it can't be done. LAN by definition means it is on the same subnet.

There are a number of hack solutions but they are all dependent on a static ARP entry which most comsumer routers can not do. You can search if you really want to know details.

The best solution I have seen is a router that has a WoL feature. You remotely log into the router and ask it to send the packet into the LAN. Since the router is actually connected to the LAN it can easily send actual WoL packets.

Before you chase down this path too far some of the sleep/power save modes in modern computers do not use much more power than the WoL state.

Many times special power adapters you can remotely access and turn power on and off tend to work better than WoL. WoL can get stuck when the machine is not shutdown correctly.

Thank you for your enlightened reply.
I feel static ARP way is much advanced for me. But router with WoL feature seems a good option. Can you five your opinion about Asus RT N15U’s suitability for my requirement? And Can you suggest some budget routers with mentioned feature in Indian market?
Power adapter with wifi is better solution. But my HP laptop and lenovo y500, both do not support to automatic swich on when power on. It need manual push button manipulation for switch on. I searched to bypass the push button, but Some pointed out about BIOS limitation. Shed some light here if you can.
Basically I wan to start my pc BY ANY AUTOMATIC MEANS in economical way. Even I Have FIXED schedule about when to turn on and turn off. Please shed some light here too if you can.

Last edited:
Asus routers have that feature. I "think" they all do, but they may have some models that don't so read the manual online before you buy. They went to a single software image for all their routers.

Prices are crazy in india, like the news that intel sells cpu for more than 2 times the cost even though the average income in india is a fraction of the USA. I don't know what routers cost, I like asus because of the features but they are a little more costly than other brands here.

You may want to see if you can use a sleep/low power mode that leaves the network active. I know I used to have a machine sleep but you could still run remote desktop to it and it would fully power up when you did that.

If you are the hacker type people use raspberry pi for the same function. You remote access the raspberry and send WoL. It is a bit more complex since it is behind your router and you must port forward.

zoozoo

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016
Asus routers have that feature. I "think" they all do, but they may have some models that don't so read the manual online before you buy. They went to a single software image for all their routers.

Prices are crazy in india, like the news that intel sells cpu for more than 2 times the cost even though the average income in india is a fraction of the USA. I don't know what routers cost, I like asus because of the features but they are a little more costly than other brands here.

You may want to see if you can use a sleep/low power mode that leaves the network active. I know I used to have a machine sleep but you could still run remote desktop to it and it would fully power up when you did that.

If you are the hacker type people use raspberry pi for the same function. You remote access the raspberry and send WoL. It is a bit more complex since it is behind your router and you must port forward.
Trying with ASUS routers:

I bought Asus router (asus rt-n15u). It indeed supports wake on lan function(y). But, When I use it as a Repeater mode, I do not find any option WOL as well as DDNS setup, to access the router over internet - Screen shot . However, in DHCP mode, it allows DDNS as well as WOL. So now, I am back to square 1 :sneaky::unsure:.

This asus router do not support wake on lan with repeater mode.

Here, I want to redefine my objective.
I am trying to wake up my laptop remotely, which is connected to a router (wired mode), which(the router) is connected to internet (wireless mode) - Like this Using PC (A) to wake up PC (B) over internet.
Can it be possible? Can you suggest how?

I am glad to avail your sound tips and opinion. Thank you.

Why did you not just replace the main internet router. Repeater mode or AP mode is purely a function of extending the wifi and does not use any of the router functions.

You are going to have to experiment on this one. I do not know if WoL packets will pass over a wifi network. They should in theory but you have added in the complexity of a repeater. If the router you have marked as D in the diagram is the Asus I suspect it has the best chance of working. This solves the problem of wake on WAN. Since WoL is a broadcast packet it should pass over a repeater.

What you are now doing is Wake on wireless lan and wake on WAN both of which do not actually exist.

Reactions: zoozoo

zoozoo

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016
Why did you not just replace the main internet router. Repeater mode or AP mode is purely a function of extending the wifi and does not use any of the router functions.

You are going to have to experiment on this one. I do not know if WoL packets will pass over a wifi network. They should in theory but you have added in the complexity of a repeater. If the router you have marked as D in the diagram is the Asus I suspect it has the best chance of working. This solves the problem of wake on WAN. Since WoL is a broadcast packet it should pass over a repeater.

What you are now doing is Wake on wireless lan and wake on WAN both of which do not actually exist.
Thanks again..

Tried asus as D and even E in diagram, but did not work. I have my limitations to use asus as main internet router. So i guess it is end of the road now, at least for wol :( .

Now I am planning to get a new cpu, with auto turn on when power on feature . Combining it with wifi powered switch. This is indeed the simplest way, but it is not economical. And thats why I was exploring other options.

Thanks a lot for your interest and suggestion 🙏.