Question Wake On Lan works from shutdown and hibernate but not from sleep ?

Bitzsec

Reputable
Nov 21, 2019
Hello there,

As the title says, I can't figure out how to make WOL work from sleep, it works fine from shutdown and hibernate.

Fast boot disabled
WOL activated in bios + device manager
Sleep state set to S3 or S1 (only got 2 options in bios)

Windows 10
Dell Optiplex 760

This is because microsoft is being "helpful?". Sleep state is a microsoft thing that some bios manufacture partially support. It is not actually wake on lan. Wake on lan is a hardware function that does not depend on the OS that is on the disk. You have just the ethernet chip active and it has the ability to in effect push the power on button.

This mess that microsoft has made is one of the key reasons people have issue with wake on lan. You have to be very sure the machine is in a supported shutdown mode.

In general wake on lan is not very useful. Modern power save options cause the machine to consume about the same power if you just let the machine go into one of it idle options where it turns off the monitor and reduces the cpu clock but in effect stays completely on. If you follow the microsoft koolaid there are all kinds of proprietary settings in the OS that should do what you want without using actual WOL.

If for some reason you still need a remote boot option the way that tends to still always work is to not use WOL at all. Use the bios option that says boot on power. You then use one of the many fancy electrical outlets that let you turn power on and off from your network. You really should shut the machine down but windows will recover most the time even if you just turn the power off, kinda like it does with a power failure.

Bitzsec

Reputable
Nov 21, 2019
This is because microsoft is being "helpful?". Sleep state is a microsoft thing that some bios manufacture partially support. It is not actually wake on lan. Wake on lan is a hardware function that does not depend on the OS that is on the disk. You have just the ethernet chip active and it has the ability to in effect push the power on button.

This mess that microsoft has made is one of the key reasons people have issue with wake on lan. You have to be very sure the machine is in a supported shutdown mode.

In general wake on lan is not very useful. Modern power save options cause the machine to consume about the same power if you just let the machine go into one of it idle options where it turns off the monitor and reduces the cpu clock but in effect stays completely on. If you follow the microsoft koolaid there are all kinds of proprietary settings in the OS that should do what you want without using actual WOL.

If for some reason you still need a remote boot option the way that tends to still always work is to not use WOL at all. Use the bios option that says boot on power. You then use one of the many fancy electrical outlets that let you turn power on and off from your network. You really should shut the machine down but windows will recover most the time even if you just turn the power off, kinda like it does with a power failure.
Thank you for this thorough reply.

As for the Microsoft koolaid, what do you mean by that?

Electricity in my country is way too much expensive, I used a watt-meter and found the consumption to be 90watts while on and idle but consumes only 20watts whipe sleep.

Another reason for using sleep is that I want to be able to fastly boot my computer, it acts as a server but in ready-to-be-instantly-turned-on

Bitzsec

Reputable
Nov 21, 2019
Microsoft has its own versions/method of wake on lan. I am not real sure it was such a mess when I looked at it years ago but other people say it works "better?" than wol.
I struggle to find what you mean lol

How to use/achieve that "Microsoft way of doing WOL"?

TRENDING THREADS