[SOLVED] Waking up by itself and noise coming from speakers

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
Heyo
I'm facing two issues with no apparent solution, first my computer randomly wakes up from sleep mode even though I'm not using it, I've always wondered if the cat was the culprit (by pressing keys or whatevs) but I made sure he couldn't enter my room -where my computer is- for one night, put the computer to sleep, went to bed and when I woke up the computer was back on for no apparent reason, I've been told about Wake On LAN but I disabled it from the BIOS setup, I also disabled the wake timers on Windows power options. I borrowed a friend's CX550 power supply for a week just to rule out that component and it kept happening so it's def not damaged, or is my luck that bad and both PSUs have the same issue? what are the odds...

Second, any speakers I plug into my computer make a constant knocking sound that gets louder the more I turn up the volume, it also happens to headphones or earbuds connected to any jack both at the back and at the front, it sounds like if someone was hitting a nail nonstop.
I've asked around and been told it's a power related issue, yet again with the CX550 the noise was still there, a couple of friends also told me it's because of a bad ground so I went and copied what this guy did.
https://harshilsharma63.wordpress.c...th-your-desktop-pc-and-avoid-electric-shocks/
If you're not in for clicking links it's basically strapping a wire to the case and into a nail that goes, well, into the ground. It's still the same although the noise is now less noticeable on the speakers.
There's no ground pin in the plugs like in the US, I made sure the wires inside are tightened and that the plugs aren't -too- old, also checked the outlet and everything looks fine, the polarity is ok as far as I can tell.
I know how to wire plugs and avoid shocking myself by touching live wires but I'm not an electrical engineer so maybe I'm missing something here.

Any actual clues about what's happening?

Here are the specs:
PCPartPicker Part List:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M MORTAR Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL22 Memory
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB TUF GAMING OC Video Card
Case: Corsair 230T ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 700 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

Everything's there except for the 3070, I'm using a 710 instead because of prices.

Thanks in advance.

To figure out what caused the computer to wake up:
  1. Open up the command line as an administrator
  2. Issue the command "powercfg -lastwake"
To figure out what is preventing the computer from sleeping automatically or can wake it up, issue teh command "powercfg -requests" and use "powercfg -requestsoverride" to tell Windows to ignore the things keeping the computer awake.

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
To figure out what caused the computer to wake up:
  1. Open up the command line as an administrator
  2. Issue the command "powercfg -lastwake"
To figure out what is preventing the computer from sleeping automatically or can wake it up, issue teh command "powercfg -requests" and use "powercfg -requestsoverride" to tell Windows to ignore the things keeping the computer awake.
It said
Type: Fixed Feature, Power Button

I've also went on device manager and disabled the feature that allowed the keyboard and mouse to wake up, as well as the WOL feature just in case it wasn't fully disabled.