Wall-Sized 3D Gaming With Nvidia 3D Vision

Status
Not open for further replies.

infodan

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
What about DLP 3D? the projector supports it, DLP-link glasses are cheaper and dont require a transmitter like the nvidia glasses.

kolsky

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
I own a acer h5360 and I agree, it is awesome watching 3d movies on it. 1080p? Dont even notice pixellation at 115 inch screen. 720p is fine and at a great price. 1080p 3d projectors will be extremely expensive for average consumers.

kolsky

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Im sorry, but 3d is NOT expensive. The acer 5360 can be bought for as low as 580 and the nvidia vision glasses kit can be bought for as low as 150. That is under 1,000... less than the cost of a 3D TV.

DaFees

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Interesting read, but ultimately all this 3D talk leaves me with a big question. I have a PS3 and if I upgrade my PC to a 3D vision enabled PC is there a projector (perhaps the one discussed in this article) that would allow me to enjoy the 3D from my PS3 and my PC? I understand if I would need a switch between devices or manually switch cables. I know NVIDIA is working on a 3DTV play tech that let's you use the glasses of 3D enabled HDTV to enjoy NVIDIA 3D Vision, but is there a similar option for projectors?

scrumworks

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Saddest thing in the review: "and the software developers we've talked to have indicated that the dual-projector option is too fringe to justify development."

D-bags once again focusing on their limitations rather than options.

Glad I didn't waste my money on that 3D upgrade for PowerDVD or others until they get their act together to support both methods.

It's obviously already possible as shown by JVC last year (see end of clip);
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbm0VoL845k&feature=channel_page
but once again leave it to the small minded accountants running the companies to keep it held back.

Nice look as always though Don. :sol:

That's for one viewer, and then it's X amount for each additional viewer to have shutter glasses, expensive if you have friends, cheap if you're a loner.

Polarization is the way to go for a bunch of people.

Jerky_san

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
I actually have a setup like this but I used a optoma GT700 and did a little messing with drivers to get the nvidia glasses to see it.. I don't really see a whole lot of "3d" though I guess maybe my eyes don't work well with the system.. I got to say though having a 135' screen to watch movies on is fun..

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
[citation][nom]scrumworks[/nom]ATI/AMD will make it a lot cheaper without proprietary hugely expensive crap like nvidia. http://www.digitalversus.com/3d-fi [...] -1086.html[/citation]
Well Nvidia's 3DTV Play will offer the same thing. HDMI 1.4a compatibility, no need to buy the Nvidia Vision kit, works with glasses provided by the display etc.
It's odd, that article you posted doesn't mention that.

allrock

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Most Cinemas I have seem do not use 2 projecters to display 3D movies they use a single digital projecter that displays alternate frames, the Dolby system uses A spinning filter wheel betwean the projectors lamp and Imager, it alters the light up and down in frequency synced to the proper frame and passive RGB filter glasses allow only the corect eye to see the corect image (no special silver screan required because the light is not polerized ) RealD uses a switching circuler polarizer (called Z screan ) placed in front of the projecter and synced to the proper frame this system like all polerized systems requires a silver screan to mantain polarization of the image and is viewed with cicular polarized glasses (inexpensive) both systems use a single projecter and alternating frame sequence of the image projected, and passive glasses there are Active glasses systems as well but they are less comon.

Jerky_san

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Rickyw972[/nom]Is this projector better than the Mitshibshi 73" 1080p dlp for $1100?[/citation]
look up the gt700 its 720p but the nice thing about it is that its short throw. So you can put it in a 10x10 room and still get a really large picture..

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Lets not forget that HDMI 1.4a does not have a mandatory standard for 3d at 1080p60. The HDMI chips are just too slow to handle the bandwidth. It's limited to 1080p24, 1080i60, or 720p60. So 3d Bluray playback will be fine on HDMI, but 3d gaming will be very limited on HDMI.

faraz1010

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
heads up for 3d vision..bt nVidia sucks for making it only geForce card compatible..
ATI cards would have given lot bttr results

intelx

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
i just wanna know why nvidia always asks for a high price for everything they do? 3d vision and their gpus are overpriced, while ati relased infinity and they do not ask for a high price, i just hope nvidia stays behind ati so we can enjoy everything that the gpu market offers.

As usual, I was really looking forward to Monday's lead article. And then I saw this, safely applicable to but a tiny fraction of potential readers. With household median income in the US at around $50K, once extortion (income tax), the mortgage or rent, food, utilities, etc. are all paid, and dried-up credit and other economic realities are considered, a system like this is NOT readily affordable. Some people like to dream, and a few may like to drool, but I think even more would appreciate articles that are more financially conservative. Just my $.02.

G

Is there anyway to get this setup to be compatible with DirecTV's 3D channels? I don't do a lot of PC gaming and there are a very limited amount of 3D Blu-ray disks.

Status
Not open for further replies.