Question Want to connect my PC to my monitor directly for video AND to my receiver for audio

Joachim_1

Honorable
Sep 18, 2015
Hello all,

I recently bought a new pc, which means I get to enjoy 1440p now.

I own a pretty good audio receiver - stereo speaker system. I used to link my GPU on my last 1080p system to my receiver through an HDMI cable, which powered my stereo floorstanding speakers. From the receiver, a HDMI cable to my monitor.
However, upgrading my PC, the receiver doesn't seem to support 1440p (only 1080p and 4K).

I was wondering how I could directly feed my monitor from my GPU's HDMI port, and still use my stereo speakers through my receiver.

Could I use an HDMI splitter? HDMI port - splitter - HDMI cable to receiver AND HDMI cable directly to monitor? Would that make image quality / refresh rate / latency worse?

Would it be better to feed my monitor through my GPU's displayport, AND feed my receiver by my GPU's HDMI port?

Should I use my line-out port, instead, to connect my PC to my receiver? I've had some trouble in the past with static interference from onboard soundcard. Is it better, then, to use a 3.5mm-to-coaxial cable? Can I use mobo-to-receiver USB-to-usb input here? Another method?

I want the highest quality audio, with the least amount of lag, in stereo, without static interference.

The receiver is an NAD T758v3, with support for 7.1 audio inputs.

Thank you very much

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
You should be having two HDMI's come off your GPU, one would be going into your panel and the other would be going to the receiver. You can then, in the OS, use Sound Manager to set the default audio output device to the HDMI connected to the receiver. You should be able to get audio out the receiver and the display off the panel. Make and model of your GPU? If your motherboard has a TOSLink output, why not use that instead? Speaking of which, make and model of your motherboard?

Joachim_1

Honorable
Sep 18, 2015
You should be having two HDMI's come off your GPU, one would be going into your panel and the other would be going to the receiver. You can then, in the OS, use Sound Manager to set the default audio output device to the HDMI connected to the receiver. You should be able to get audio out the receiver and the display off the panel. Make and model of your GPU? If your motherboard has a TOSLink output, why not use that instead? Speaking of which, make and model of your motherboard?

Thank you very much for the reply!

My motherboard is a MSI B450M PRO-VDH. It does not have an optical out.
My GPU is a RX 6800 5apphire Nitro).

My GPU only has one HDMI output. Would it be okay to use that to feed the receiver, and use my GPU's DisplayPort to feed the monitor? Will that not overload my GPU somehow? Will that cause audio/video desync issues?

Thanks again