Question want to upgrade M.2 drives with only one slot.

Mar 2, 2019
I have a B350 gaming pro carbon with only one m.2 slot. Current SSD is a 960 evo nvme 256gb and I have a crucial p1 nvme 1tb m.2 I want to replace it with. I also just got a 500gb 2.5" ssd that I thought I could use in a external usb 3.0 drive holder to clone to, then swap the m.2 drives and then clone back. when i tried to clone to the 2.5" ssd I got an error with macrium reflect saying that the sector size was incompatable. ???? any idea?

USAFRet

Titan
Not a clone, but an Image. Works much better.

Just like this:
Assuming you have another drive with sufficient free space to hold the entirety of your current m.2 drive:
1. Download and install Macrium Reflect
2. Run that, and create a Rescue CD or USB (you'll use this later). "Other Tasks"
3. In the Macrium client, create an Image to some other drive. External USB HDD, maybe. Select all partitions. This results in a file of xxxx.mrimage
4. When done, power OFF.
5. Swap the 2 drives
6. Boot up from the Rescue USB you created earlier.
7. Recover, and tell it where the Image is that you created in step 3, and which drive to apply it to...the new m.2
8. Go, and wait until it finishes.
9. That's all...this should work.

Mar 2, 2019
imaging now. should be 20 minutes. man SSD are great. even going to an external usb 3.0 drive is fast.

image took 14 minutes. whole swap less than an hour. Im back on up new M.2 thanks again for the help worked bitchen.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019
I noticed that once I loaded in off the new drive it was only partitioned the same size as the image partition. had to go into storage manager and extend it out to its real size.