Warning: Crysis 3 Will Melt Your PC, Says Crytek

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
"There is unfortunately always in a multi-platform development that kind of compromise that we have to take, but at the same time we are trying not to take it, so we try to make sure that the PC version looks fantastic, plays fantastic," he said. "This time we’re saying, 'Okay, let’s not compromise the PC but let’s try to push the consoles so make the PC version happen.'"
How about just make the PC-version as good as you can, and worry about the consoles after, when they have enough power to support the same or a cut down version?

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
More marketing bunk from EA. Crysis 3 won't even scratch the surface of what my PC can do. No console port could possibly achieve that, especially a console port coming from EA. This is just them trying to drive up hype. Move along people...nothing more to see here.

danielravennest

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
[citation][nom]bigdragon[/nom]More marketing bunk from EA. Crysis 3 won't even scratch the surface of what my PC can do. No console port could possibly achieve that, especially a console port coming from EA. This is just them trying to drive up hype. Move along people...nothing more to see here.[/citation]

If you have built CryEngine game levels, like I have, you would know better. The engine is quite capable of targeting very different settings for different platforms, and by substituting some of the assets get even wider performance variations. Lower detail model, smaller texture, less demanding shader vs high detail model with bigger textures, and turn on tesselation and reflection, and up the max view distance, and you can have way different performance.

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
They need to stop worrying so much about shiny graphics and get more focused on the shoddy AI issues.

The AI in some Crysis/Far Cry games are laughable.

reviewer889

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
Too bad it's EA
Even worse Origin. Actually I don't know what's worse.
Either way, I don't pay for anything EA related.
They'll be bankrupt by 2014.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
[citation][nom]danielravennest[/nom]If you have built CryEngine game levels, like I have, you would know better. The engine is quite capable of targeting very different settings for different platforms, and by substituting some of the assets get even wider performance variations. Lower detail model, smaller texture, less demanding shader vs high detail model with bigger textures, and turn on tesselation and reflection, and up the max view distance, and you can have way different performance.[/citation]
I'm more of an Unreal Engine guy actually. UnrealEd was the one editor that really got along with me. I do regret never taking the time to play with the editor in the original Crysis though. My comment was more about EA promising PC-specific features or calling PC the lead platform for a game only to dump all over the PC crowd months before release. They most recently did this with BF3. EA likes to tell the PC crowd what they want to hear then fail to deliver. I just want to temper their hype.

spartanmk2

Honorable
May 11, 2012
[citation][nom]menigmand[/nom]If my pc is going to melt, I'd prefer it's not for a game featuring a man in a rubber suit armed with a bow and arrow..[/citation]

Exactly...its like having an uber computer just to play solitaire :/ (nothing against solitaire)

fb39ca4

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
[citation][nom]vertigo_2000[/nom]So, lemme get this straight, in Crysis 3, like Crysis 1, I will have access to a technologically advanced suit that allows me to jump higher, run faster, turn invisible, become almost invulnerable for short periods and Crytech's decided to market the game by basically saying, "Hey look, now you can use a bow and arrow!" Every advertisement for this game shows the charactor holding a bow. Not even some kind of fancy, technologically advanced bow, just a run of the mill bow.[/citation]
Really? That bow looked fancy and technologically advanced to me.

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Thanks for the faith Yerli......glad to have folk like yourself still around. We'll hold you to 'the challenge' with eager anticipation :) I'm sure ATI, NVIDIA and Intel will be eager to help, if needed.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Crytek didn't quite get our point...the issue wasn't so much the graphics themselves, which looked great after the high-res and DX11 updates, but rather with certain unrealistic aspects of the graphics, for instance, the brick rubble on the roof at the beginning, or the vending machines once you got close up - stuff like that. Such things had nothing to do with the engine's capabilities, but rather with lazy and rushed "last minute" touch-ups. (most likely). So no, Crytek, the point isn't for you to now purposely un-fine-tune your engine to make it artificially slow, but rather focus on consistent art-style, modern-quality textures and such. If you want to bring systems to their knees just for the sake of it, then implement things like uber-sampling and stuff like that, but please, don't purposely mess things up....we won't fall for such shenanigans!

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]"Yerli added that high-end PCs are leaps ahead of the current crop of consoles in terms of raw power (Nvidia's Keplar), further widening the gap that already existed at the time of Crysis 2's release back in March 2011."..Ya think, My PC is light years ahead of shameful outdated console crapola. 2 GTX 680s 4GB versions, 512Gb SSD, Ivy Bridge i7 @ 4.8hz 2560 x 1600 res.... yeh I think so.[/citation]

If you are using the 3770k and are using a real liquid cooling system (not the all in one systems that don't work much better than an air cooler) then you can push the 3770k to 5Hz+ and keep it completely stble.

In building systems using that ship, I found that using using some arctic silver 5 the cover the entire top of the heat shield, then using arctic silver, with a bead of AS5 around the 2 sides where the lip folds out to increase the contact with the waterblock, you can nearly double your voltage boost and still keep the CPU under 80C under prime95.

You can further overclock and lower temperatures if you are willing to remove the heat spreader and replace the crappy thermal compound with arctic silver 5, and also add enough compound to cover the sides of the processor die, vut it will void your warranty as there is no way to reattach it in a way where it will look like you never removed it (PC you cant use the CPU without the heat spreader unless you can dremel a opening on the heat spreader for the CPU die and file down the sides of the heat spreader so that they are the same hight as the CPU die (never seen anyone try it and for me it is not worth risking the cost of the CPU for a mod like that)

anyway if you can stay under 90C (chip overheats at 105C) then try to shoot for a 5GHz overclock, if not then get an extra radiator for the liquid cooling (you can connect multiple radiators together)

svdb

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
"melt pc" as in "too damn slow to play on today's high end"? What's the point of a game that will only have a playable frame rate on ultra high end PCs TWO years from now?

mavikt

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
[citation][nom]menigmand[/nom]If my pc is going to melt, I'd prefer it's not for a game featuring a man in a rubber suit armed with a bow and arrow..[/citation]
I hear you bro'! It's gonna melt over a lady in a rubber suit... :-D

For those nitpickers then install a 'Mod' e.g. BlackFire's Mod 2 but if you're having issues rendering the DX11 Crysis 2 then don't even try it.

Hey I like pretty much any decent FPS. I have plenty of games including CoD, MoH, BF3, etc so don't troll. Anyone can hate, love or anywhere in between any game.

athlondude

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
You know these guys could take a few notes from Valve. Vale has released a butt load of games, all very popular, all still supported today, and all worth the money. Do they look as nice as Crysis? No, but you know I would rather have something I liked to play that I would have no problems running on my rig, over something that looked like looked nice and ran like shit. That kind of stuff is what I like to call chocolate covered shit.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
Keplar?! It's not that whole world is talking about it for past 8+ months, but that most of the world knows how to spell Kepler for past 4 or so centuries thanks to one Johannes Kepler after whom this architecture is named.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
lol at people saying you will ONLY need 2 670s or 2 7970s to run max with 60fps. Youd ONLY need some of the best most expensive cards available today in CF/SLI to run the game on max. if its anything like that, then the the single card 7870 i5 machine Im about to build would melt on medium settings...

Status
Not open for further replies.