Warning: Crysis 3 Will Melt Your PC, Says Crytek

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]So what crysis3 is going to run furmark in the background or something? I dont get how the same engine that they used in crysis2, that even with the dx11 patch I ran on my 670 maxed out @ 19x12 with vsync on and almost never dropped below 60fps, is going to melt my pc when they are releasing it on 360 and ps3 as well. That "a new dawn" demo however mediocre it might look did bring my 670 to its knees quite easily but Im pretty sure nvidia engineered that to happen like that to try to sell more cards... the dbags.[/citation]

Just because Crysis 2 used X settings with their engine, does not mean they could not have added more and more detail than they did. For example, they could increase the texture resolutions. They could increase the field of view, increase the distance you can see, or use more open ended maps like Crysis 1.

You may have noticed that the DX11 patch added a type of tessellation that adds depth to land, and brick, as well as other surfaces. If you were like me, you may also have noticed very few surfaces had this technology applied to it. I recall several areas where only 1 or 2 walls out of 4 would have this effect applied to it, while the others were flat.

These are all ways to increase the visuals and require a lot more horsepower to run the game at higher settings. There are plenty of more ways to increase the visuals as well, using the same engine. These game engines are highly customizable. They aren't nearly as simple as you seem to think.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
melt down pc's , while their wallets ahve a meltdown becasue gaamer's like me wont buy it. I'm tired of getting a game that jsut wont run worth crap on my system , i'm still on a 2008 pc i built myself , i've updated teh Os , i've added up to 6 gigs of ram to it , and i've had 3 graphic card changes on it and still crysis 1 wil not play good for crap regardless of my settings , worse is the change to win 7 has locked the game to the dx10 render path and ther is NO option to run in dx 9 now, looked over teh ini file and can't find a setting for it in there either (maybe i missed it ) either way , i am still left with a 60 dollar coaster i can't play until god knows when i'll be able to buy a whole new rig becasue my cpu just can't hack the game.

fast froward to cyrsis 2 i hear it wil run nicer , but i never got the demo till more reccently to try it .. and its a MP demo ONLY so now there is no way to actually see how it runs on my system as all the demo servers are down now ..... so screw cyrsis 3 i wont even bother trying to build a pc to run it even when i do eventually get teh money to do so. more likely i'll hold out for 3 more years on this pc , and then build a system speced to run Unreal 4 engine and crysis 3 can go f--- itself. i ahte when deves make games designed to run only on a rich f---'s computer and qutie rankly i'm tired of finding out i can't play said game i paid 60 bucks for , just because my system is a budget gaming system or budget gaming by today's standards. screw you crytech.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]ct1615[/nom]great, a whole new generation of crysis babies judging every game based on graphics regardless of gameplay[/citation]
i wonder what a-hoels thumbed you down , this is a totally elgit point here .

[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]Normally I'd ask what good a game is if it's unplayable, but in the case of Crytek's games the same question could be asked even if it was playable. This will just be another mediocre, linear shooter like all the previous ones.[/citation]

Crysis 2 was linear, but as far as single player FPS goes, I don't believe any game had more attack options and wide open choices to attack as Farcry goes. Even Crysis (not 2) let you come in from many vantage points, with wide open landscapes. The story may have been limited, but Farcry and Crysis had the most wide open attack options of any FPS games I've ever played.

It did seem like Crysis 2 was limited due to console limitations. It definitely was more limited.

Story is another thing all together, but we all have different desires. I personally like a linear story, but with good combat and lots of options in combat. Farcry was the best IMO, the best single player FPS I've ever played.

kathiki

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
Hmmmm are they the same developers that ignored their customers when their DX11 patch caused serious save problems?

How pathetic that they blame everything on piracy. Instead of producing solid games with substantial gaming time and rich content at decent prices they expect to make millions selling games that last 20 hours tops........

in the mean time Skyrim with their awesome HD texture pack and the awesome HD texture packs from the community is the game i never regretted buying on the pc...... 150 hours spent only on the open world and have touched so little from the main story.......

And if they can ever reach the REPlayability of games like borderlands then they may have something to show.

atminside

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
Does anyone really take them seriously? I mean Crysis will no doubt be a console port so I don't understand how it will melt our computers....unless it's like RAGE where you needed at least a 6 core cpu to run mega textures that was stupid. I will just wait and watch the youtube campaign play through and see for myself if it's good or not.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]Crysis 2 was linear, but as far as single player FPS goes, I don't believe any game had more attack options and wide open choices to attack as Farcry goes. Even Crysis (not 2) let you come in from many vantage points, with wide open landscapes. The story may have been limited, but Farcry and Crysis had the most wide open attack options of any FPS games I've ever played.It did seem like Crysis 2 was limited due to console limitations. It definitely was more limited.Story is another thing all together, but we all have different desires. I personally like a linear story, but with good combat and lots of options in combat. Farcry was the best IMO, the best single player FPS I've ever played.[/citation]

I forgot about FarCry. I should probably rephrase my previous post to refer only to the Crysis series. Both Far Cry games had multiple attack paths (although that didn't help FC2 because all missions were mundane and nearly identical). Crysis started off that way but by the time you reached the tank level you were being more or less funnelled down a single path.

Linear stories can be fantastic because they can go very deep and be quite complex. Sandbox games are much more difficult to get a good, flowing story out of. The problem with Crysis is not really that it was a linear game, but that its story was boring and the characters were generic "oorah" soldiers with fancy suits.

Suzaku

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
Still, Crysis 2 proved that the developer still had love for its core PC gaming audience, and that won't change for the third installment.
Did anyone else laughed out loud when you read that sentence?

PH03N1XPC

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
crysis was excelent but i buy crysis 2 in origin and theres FULL OF HACKERS BUGS and SERVER LAGGS EVERY TIME soo i will never buy a crysis game again

PH03N1XPC

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
and other thing if this melt my pc crytek is shit because BF3 looks better than crysis and i run it full with gtx 670

[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]I forgot about FarCry. I should probably rephrase my previous post to refer only to the Crysis series. Both Far Cry games had multiple attack paths (although that didn't help FC2 because all missions were mundane and nearly identical). Crysis started off that way but by the time you reached the tank level you were being more or less funnelled down a single path.Linear stories can be fantastic because they can go very deep and be quite complex. Sandbox games are much more difficult to get a good, flowing story out of. The problem with Crysis is not really that it was a linear game, but that its story was boring and the characters were generic "oorah" soldiers with fancy suits.[/citation]

Forget about Farcry 2, that wasn't made by Crytek, they only did the first one. Anyways, Crysis was pretty wide open during the first bit. Even the tank level had many options. Especially if you lose your tank, then you had to go stealth and go at it by foot. It definitely was linear once the aliens showed up though.

Tank level on foot on Delta and clearing the map of enemies = the most difficult part of a FPS I've experienced.

But I digress - Crysis 3 is looking good, y'all. And if the levels are at least twice as wide as Crysis 2, I'll be happy.

[citation][nom]jessterman21[/nom]Tank level on foot on Delta and clearing the map of enemies = the most difficult part of a FPS I've experienced. But I digress - Crysis 3 is looking good, y'all. And if the levels are at least twice as wide as Crysis 2, I'll be happy.[/citation]

I'd say the volcano map in Farcry, or the armory in the 2nd room in the building you enter after it. That map and room was just nuts and you can't save in Farcry. Though if you learn where to drive, the Volcano map did get a lot easier.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
here is the question, will poor programming and optimization be what holds it back, or will it really be that stunning to look at?

that said, i dont care about graphics, make it look like a ps2 game for all i care, i want gameplay that is good, so few games have gameplay that grabs me for more than 30 minutes or so at a time now.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
the origional crysis looked great but it wasn't just the graphics that drove hardware hard it was a fairly inefficient code, kind of like metro 2033 it looked great but not proportional to the amoutn of hardware it took to max it out. crysis 2 was mroe efficient but less cutting edge code. i hope the 3rd has the efficiency of crysis 2 with efficient scaling but end results as ahead of thier time as the origional

[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]here is the question, will poor programming and optimization be what holds it back, or will it really be that stunning to look at? that said, i dont care about graphics, make it look like a ps2 game for all i care, i want gameplay that is good, so few games have gameplay that grabs me for more than 30 minutes or so at a time now.[/citation]
Both can grab my attention. At the time Farcry was released, the jungle setting was just amazing to go through. Crysis felt the same way. Even if the game play wasn't the best, (I still liked it a lot regardless), good graphics can grab your attention. Of course good game play also helps too. A good story and mechanics also grab your attention.

For me, I pretty much need both to keep me playing. Good artwork can overcome graphics as well.

[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]the origional crysis looked great but it wasn't just the graphics that drove hardware hard it was a fairly inefficient code, kind of like metro 2033 it looked great but not proportional to the amoutn of hardware it took to max it out. crysis 2 was mroe efficient but less cutting edge code. i hope the 3rd has the efficiency of crysis 2 with efficient scaling but end results as ahead of thier time as the origional[/citation]

Every increase in visual affects starts off requiring a lot of extra power in proportion to the visual increase. After it's done a few times, they find better ways to do the same thing, and it does improve some, but in general, every new visual improvement comes at a steeper hit in performance than the previous improvement.

A lot of the reason behind that is simply that dev's on the cutting edge will always choose the next improvement based on what can be done with the least hit in performance. As time goes on, all that is left is the big hits.

I'm fairly tired of all the cries that any demanding game is poorly coded. Crysis, even today, is still one of and arguably the best looking game made (with mods at least). Metro 2033 has about the best lighting effects ever seen in a game.

They are remarkably coded, at least for their time period, to be able to get those visuals on hardware available today.

slayerz636

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
pissed i had a stroke in 09' that lost me the use of my left arm.... was gaming on the 360 but realized the pc was the clear choice, and I've been MIA ever since. loved crysis 1. best game I've ever played by far! more motivation to work to getting my arm back.... my 8800gts g92 destroyed the first one, but I've moved on to a intel rig this time, core i7 875k, 8gb 1600 ram, still deciding on gfx cards...

[citation][nom]slayerz636[/nom]pissed i had a stroke in 09' that lost me the use of my left arm.... was gaming on the 360 but realized the pc was the clear choice, and I've been MIA ever since. loved crysis 1. best game I've ever played by far! more motivation to work to getting my arm back.... my 8800gts g92 destroyed the first one, but I've moved on to a intel rig this time, core i7 875k, 8gb 1600 ram, still deciding on gfx cards...[/citation]

Have you tried some of these MMO mice with massive amounts of buttons? I bet you could setup a system to allow you to play FPS completely one handed on a mouse.

Jarmo

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
So the PC version will look essentially the same as console versions, only it'll be coded badly enough to require a really top notch system to run well.
Thus satisfying all.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Nothing out even pushes my gaming rig they still have a long way to go for that to happen, i update every year to fastest possible components and still have 4 extra cores that games don't access on my 8 core i7.

Evshrug

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Personally, I've seen the bow & arrow mechanic done very well in a few past games, it can be VERY satisfying. Another thing about the bow & arrow: anybody see the first Predator movie? Plus, I think it fits well with the symbiosis of the urban/jungle environment, I hope that there is more verticality in the level design than in the demos I've played in the first two Crysis games... Crysis 1 was beautiful, and I enjoyed the stalking gameplay, and Crysis 2 did have interesting (if more defined) fighting spaces. Keep in mind I only played the demos folks, it's only been two months since I got a computer able to play these!

Finally, I'd really like to see a game that makes PC sound cards relevant again. These days we've got games like BF3 and MW3 which are good games but limited to 5.1 channel surround sound and pre baked sound effects, but in the past there were games with OpenAL and other methods of binaural audio, where a fully 3D sound bubble was realized using regular headphones and science about how our brains interpret the sound from our two ears. Apparently the Thief series and Battlefield 2 were astounding in their day, I'd hate to think a PC flagship game would be a step back rather than an improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.