[SOLVED] Water Contacted GPU (Through tower's top vent)

alslade06

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2013
Water got into my gaming Desktop and contacted the GPU.

It was a freak accident. A little bit of water splashed over the side of the computer desk as I scrambled to grab the bottle. The monitor flashed a blue screen message that something was wrong and said it would reboot. It rebooted but then shut off. I wasn't sure at the time what exactly the water hit. I unplugged everything, grabbed compressed air and a fan, and blasted the insides of the GPU (the only area that seemed to have water in it).

I’m willing to accept that the GPU may be done, but my computer won’t turn on no matter what I do, so now I’m panicked that something else may have happened. It doesn’t appear that water hit anywhere else than the GPU.

2u3LLST.jpg

I have a 10-year-old Desktop that’s still running, and it’s a piece of junk, but it doesn’t have an opening right on the top of its tower. I cry, “Why do they make towers with open areas right on the top like this?” And I know they, and others will say, “Why did you have water near it?” ... or "Why did you buy a tower like that?" Short answer: I'm an idiot.

Any suggestions? Should I put another GPU in it and try again?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
I would try and disassemble the entire build, inspect each component for any signs of damage or stains that would suggest that water got onto it(you can identify them with a blot on a component). Source a donor PSU to power your build and see if the system comes back to life.

Speaking of system's, please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Lutfij

Titan
I would try and disassemble the entire build, inspect each component for any signs of damage or stains that would suggest that water got onto it(you can identify them with a blot on a component). Source a donor PSU to power your build and see if the system comes back to life.

Speaking of system's, please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Solution

alslade06

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2013
I'll grab the specs and post them. Thank you for the suggestions, I will try all of those things.