Water cooling kit or build it myself?

avenged_guitarist

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
I'm building a gaming computer and i'm trying to figure out if it's better to just use a water cooling kit or get the parts separately. i will be overclocking so thats why im trying to figure this out.

After doing a lot of goggling for my own system I went with the XSPC 750 RS240 and could not be happier. For one I can expand and build upon this and it has everything you need to start with so no worry about whether the parts will work together. And unlike the sealed units these can be added and expanded.

If you go for an Xspc kit, a couple of pointers,
Avoid the 450l pump, get the X20 750l instead, or if you stretch the readies, one of the D5 kits would be best
And go for the EX rads over the Rs, they are the same thickness but perform almost as well as the RX rads, if you have the space the RX is the best option
Moto

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007

Weird, no one asked what he was going to water cool. CPU only? CPU + GPU? GPU only?

This will determine how big your water cooling loop will be. Then how big your case needs to be...then how much material is needed to feed this loop...

The difference in price is maybe 100$ for a good kit versus 300+$ if you're cooling CPU+GPU (not to mention the extra costs in buying a bigger case if required).

PS: everyone's got a budget...

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I was hoping he'd begin that discussion once he realized it's not as simple as 'I'm going to watercool...' since he will really need to understand for himself the entire process to really grasp what's required.

I highly suggest everyone get to that level of understanding prior to purchase and installation since they will also be the ones to support and maintain the loop- having that knowledge allows you to be self sufficient and know what to do if you encounter any simple issues that would otherwise be deemed 'disasters'.

Jun 28, 2012
gah when i first started my exploration around water cooling the kits looked tempting and were moderately priced. I told myself to budget around the same price a kit would cost, as money was/is tight and I had already dropped so much on the rig already. so I was thinking somewhere araound 150 maybe 170...

I bought the parts slowly, as money came in... all together it cost me around 470 T_T but i love this thing so meh ive moved. anyways if u want an xspc kit, im sure theyll work fine, but ultimately if u really want customization over what you want and feel comfortable with picking parts yourself, pick them out yourself. oh and have lots and lots of towels on hand. my first time was a nightmare lawlz

TRENDING THREADS