Water damage, looking for some help.

Venturi

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Long story short, I built a rig for my in-laws. The mother spilled some water on the top of the tower which does have a 120mm fan as an "opening."

Now I have tested the RAM and GPU in my rig and it booted with no problem.

Their rig wouldn't even power up, I plugged my PSU into their rig and a little power icon on the motherboard lit up. When I hit the power button on the case the fans start to spin and stop before they get to a full turn. After this everything is off...

So I am assuming their PSU is fried, but not sure what to make of the "semi-start" of the rest. I want to say a motherboard issue also but I don't know if the case could have burned out somewhere (mostly due to the lack of dealing with water damage).

Any help on what to look at next would be great.

Solution
Yes. I have a lot of experience with dried out electronics (especially cell phones). People can dry them out in a bowl of rice and they will work (sortof) but some parts of the board will be fried permanently and cause all kinds of randomness down the road.

itsVance

Honorable
Jun 17, 2014
Water hitting the fan would have distributed it nicely throughout the case.

I can get the fans to do that even with the power switch on the back of the PSU turned off. Just had some residual power there. Does the light not come on when their PSU is used? Btw make sure everythings dry before you keep playing with it.

Think of what might happen if you didn't use standoffs to install the motherboard. Same thing when you put water on it.

Will their PSU power your computer up? Probably fried motherboard. Hopefully not the CPU if the RAM still works.

Venturi

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009

Their PSU won't light up their motherboard like mine does (it has some power indicator), sorry I forgot to mention this before. This is why I believe their PSU is one item that needs to be replaced.

The rig is dry, it happened last weekend and the case has been sitting open to dry.

So parts of the motherboard will still light up even if it fried?

itsVance

Honorable
Jun 17, 2014
Yes. I have a lot of experience with dried out electronics (especially cell phones). People can dry them out in a bowl of rice and they will work (sortof) but some parts of the board will be fried permanently and cause all kinds of randomness down the road.

Solution