Watercool Your Memory: EKWB Updates RAM Water Block Lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I'm not seeing the point at all. Memory is so fast these days its almost never the bottleneck except on APU's but I just cant fathom wanting to do water cooling and using an APU vs just buying a discret CPU and GPU combo.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
What a waste of time, spend on the money on anything else, other then water cooling ram, heh.

Even if you do overclock the ram, you arent decreasing the latency, at best you can push the mhz up a tiny bit,or a large bit but then if its large you have to increase the cas latency, blowing away most of the increase anyway. So, utter waste of time.

I mean i guess if you already spent 1000 on a cpu, 1000 on a gpu, and 1000 on a monitor, not to mention a few thousand on other peripherals, and water cooling for the cpu, gpu, etc, etc. If you have already dumped 10,000 into the system, i mean sure why not overclock/watercool the ram.... It wont have any significant impact on the system performance, but if you've already splurged on a buncha other stuff, why not!

Not true. Remember that RAM timings are measured in clock cycles, not static time. CAS 8 at DDR3-1600 is the exact same amount of latency as CAS 12 at DDR3-2400 and CAS 16 at DDR3-3200. The potential bandwidth goes up with the higher frequencies. Now whether you want to spend extra money on faster rated RAM and whether you have software that can take advantage of the bandwidth are other questions altogether. But no, it's not an utter waste of time.

allanstrings

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014
If you go so far as to waterblock your motherboard/processor/video cards/everything else, then you don't get a lot of direct airflow in the area. Blocking your RAM makes sense for their longevity in that situation, it's not a performance thing. It looks silly to have 5 waterblocks on and around your mobo and then have to use a spot fan on the memory.

Also, if you do block every component it looks amazing :p

allanstrings

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014
for the most part, true.
However - when you are spending $350 for pumps/res/tubing, anywhere from $100-300 on radiators, and $300 for CPU/mobo coverage plus $120 per video card block - the extra $40 to cover the RAM and make it pretty isn't a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.