(WC) - Canon-410 Sony-W1 Nikon-4200

TinK

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2004

x-no-archive: yes

i know, this is a 'which camera' question, but i am interested in y'alls
opinions... :)

btw, i have NO interest in any sigma products.

just looking for a good, small, sturdy camera. i would get the canon-410,
but am thinking i would like to have manual focus capability. heard from one
friend that the nikon's were not user friendly, and from another friend that
the sony button navagation was difficult. have read some reviews from the
recommended websites, and well, would like to get some feedback from y'all.

any comments and suggestions would be appreciated :). thanks!

jay

I feel the Nikon 4200 is very user friendly. I purchased one in early June
and have shot about 300 pictures with it. Very happy with it especially the
easy of use. GO to your local camera store and try one out. With the 12
meg of internal memory you can take a few pics right there inthe stoe to get
a good feel of how it works.

--jay

"Tink" <nospam@sonic.net> wrote in message
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> i know, this is a 'which camera' question, but i am interested in y'alls
> opinions... :)
>
> btw, i have NO interest in any sigma products.
>
> just looking for a good, small, sturdy camera. i would get the canon-410,
> but am thinking i would like to have manual focus capability. heard from
one
> friend that the nikon's were not user friendly, and from another friend
that
> the sony button navagation was difficult. have read some reviews from the
> recommended websites, and well, would like to get some feedback from
y'all.

> any comments and suggestions would be appreciated :). thanks!

TinK

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2004

hola jay!

and thanks for the reply. i did go to a store today, but they didn't have a
battery in the camera. it seems great... but i didn't get to try it. if
don't mind, can you tell me about the manual focus capability (is there
one?)? or the video capabilites (e.g. is there a time limit beyond what the
memory card can hold? is sound supported?).

at this point i am considering the 4200/5200 and the sony w1 (love that big
lcd). tho ultimately i do want the best picture quality. going to mexico on
thursday and would like to get something before the trip (nothing like
waiting till the last minute, eh? ;)

thanks again for the reply =)

"jay" <jay.dahlke@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I feel the Nikon 4200 is very user friendly. I purchased one in early
June
> and have shot about 300 pictures with it. Very happy with it especially
the
> easy of use. GO to your local camera store and try one out. With the 12
> meg of internal memory you can take a few pics right there inthe stoe to
get
> a good feel of how it works.
>
> --jay
>
> "Tink" <nospam@sonic.net> wrote in message
> > x-no-archive: yes
> >
> > i know, this is a 'which camera' question, but i am interested in y'alls
> > opinions... :)
> >
> > btw, i have NO interest in any sigma products.
> >
> > just looking for a good, small, sturdy camera. i would get the
canon-410,
> > but am thinking i would like to have manual focus capability. heard from
> one
> > friend that the nikon's were not user friendly, and from another friend
> that
> > the sony button navagation was difficult. have read some reviews from
the
> > recommended websites, and well, would like to get some feedback from
> y'all.
> >
> > any comments and suggestions would be appreciated :). thanks!

jay

I haven't used the video. the 5200 has better specs for video with 30fps vs
15fps for the 4200. I believe both are limited to the size of the SD card.

For the focus...Hmmm. I've used only the default auto focus mode. Only
twice have I had it focus incorrectly. Once with a macro shot, it focused
onthe wrong flower and once thaking a landscape photo it focused on a branch
very close by. In both cases if I paid attention and took a little time I
would have noticed and re-taken the shot or re-focused. I'm not sure a true
manual focus exists. It may, but I'm thinking the only manual option is to
locate the area where the auto focus will use.

The focus is quite quick and I've missed few if any shots because of it. I
have 3 kids so most photos have some sort of action taking place.

Sorry I couldn't be much help. The camera is new enough yet I just haven't
used all the modes and options.

> hola jay!
>
> and thanks for the reply. i did go to a store today, but they didn't have
> battery in the camera. it seems great... but i didn't get to try it. if
> don't mind, can you tell me about the manual focus capability (is there
> one?)? or the video capabilites (e.g. is there a time limit beyond what
the
> memory card can hold? is sound supported?).
>
> at this point i am considering the 4200/5200 and the sony w1 (love that
big
> lcd). tho ultimately i do want the best picture quality. going to mexico
on
> thursday and would like to get something before the trip (nothing like
> waiting till the last minute, eh? ;)
>
> thanks again for the reply =)
>
> "jay" <jay.dahlke@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I feel the Nikon 4200 is very user friendly. I purchased one in early
> June
> > and have shot about 300 pictures with it. Very happy with it especially
> the
> > easy of use. GO to your local camera store and try one out. With the
12
> > meg of internal memory you can take a few pics right there inthe stoe to
> get
> > a good feel of how it works.
> >
> > --jay
> >
> > "Tink" <nospam@sonic.net> wrote in message
> > > x-no-archive: yes
> > >
> > > i know, this is a 'which camera' question, but i am interested in
y'alls
> > > opinions... :)
> > >
> > > btw, i have NO interest in any sigma products.
> > >
> > > just looking for a good, small, sturdy camera. i would get the
> canon-410,
> > > but am thinking i would like to have manual focus capability. heard
from
> > one
> > > friend that the nikon's were not user friendly, and from another
friend
> > that
> > > the sony button navagation was difficult. have read some reviews from
> the
> > > recommended websites, and well, would like to get some feedback from
> > y'all.
> > >
> > > any comments and suggestions would be appreciated :). thanks!

TinK

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2004

hola Jay,

Thanks so much for the info, i think the nikon sounds great.

i am guessing tho, if you really want any manual focus capabilities, one can
only get that with a dslr, and i really just want a small cam.

thanks again for the info =)

> I haven't used the video. the 5200 has better specs for video with 30fps
vs
> 15fps for the 4200. I believe both are limited to the size of the SD card.
>
> For the focus...Hmmm. I've used only the default auto focus mode. Only
> twice have I had it focus incorrectly. Once with a macro shot, it focused
> onthe wrong flower and once thaking a landscape photo it focused on a
branch
> very close by. In both cases if I paid attention and took a little time I
> would have noticed and re-taken the shot or re-focused. I'm not sure a
true
> manual focus exists. It may, but I'm thinking the only manual option is
> locate the area where the auto focus will use.
>
> The focus is quite quick and I've missed few if any shots because of it.
> have 3 kids so most photos have some sort of action taking place.
>
> Sorry I couldn't be much help. The camera is new enough yet I just
haven't
> used all the modes and options.
>

> "Tink" <nospam@sonic.net> wrote in message
> > hola jay!
> >
> > and thanks for the reply. i did go to a store today, but they didn't
have
> > battery in the camera. it seems great... but i didn't get to try it. if
> > don't mind, can you tell me about the manual focus capability (is there
> > one?)? or the video capabilites (e.g. is there a time limit beyond what
> the
> > memory card can hold? is sound supported?).
> >
> > at this point i am considering the 4200/5200 and the sony w1 (love that
> big
> > lcd). tho ultimately i do want the best picture quality. going to mexico
> on
> > thursday and would like to get something before the trip (nothing like
> > waiting till the last minute, eh? ;)
> >
> > thanks again for the reply =)
> >
> > "jay" <jay.dahlke@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > I feel the Nikon 4200 is very user friendly. I purchased one in early
> > June
> > > and have shot about 300 pictures with it. Very happy with it
especially
> > the
> > > easy of use. GO to your local camera store and try one out. With the
> 12
> > > meg of internal memory you can take a few pics right there inthe stoe
> > get
> > > a good feel of how it works.
> > >
> > > --jay
> > >
> > > "Tink" <nospam@sonic.net> wrote in message

> y'alls

> > canon-410,
> from
> > > one
> friend
> > > that
> > the
> > > y'all.

Well, I just got myself a W1 and I like it very much. The live
histogram feedback helps me alot to take pictures properly, though
there was a steep learning curve for a dunce like me, and while I
can't manuall adjust white balance, the predetermined settings that
comes with the camera seems more than adequate.

And I can adjust the EV values in steps, adjust F and ISO settings
with relative ease. I didn't find the navigation to be too difficult
or too cumbersome. Once you know where the buttons are and you're
quick with your finger, it's not too bad at all.

For me, it came down to Canon S500 or the W1. The store I bought the
W1 from has a 1 week trial policy, as long as you let them have a cc
number) so I tried out the S500 for a few days and the W1 the next.

The picture quality were about the same when both cameras were in auto
mode, but I was able to take better pictures once I got to adjust the
ISO, F, EV and I got instant feedback from the livehistogram.

Decisions, decision...I know, I was there too, but I'm pretty happy
with my W1. Good luck!

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 06:56:37 GMT, "Tink" <nospam@sonic.net> wrote:

>x-no-archive: yes
>
>i know, this is a 'which camera' question, but i am interested in y'alls
>opinions... :)
>
>btw, i have NO interest in any sigma products.
>
>just looking for a good, small, sturdy camera. i would get the canon-410,
>but am thinking i would like to have manual focus capability. heard from one
>friend that the nikon's were not user friendly, and from another friend that
>the sony button navagation was difficult. have read some reviews from the
>recommended websites, and well, would like to get some feedback from y'all.
>
>any comments and suggestions would be appreciated :). thanks!

TinK

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2004

wow gang! thanks for all your help.

i really appreciate it =)... now i want both cameras *grin*