G

Hello Tom's Hardware!
I am sorry for my English, but still - I have to ask.

I got a lazy hard drive on my pc. I say lazy becouse of his temerture.
Its an WDS WD2500KS 00WJB0 hard drive.
As soon as I power the computer, I turn on Wizard PC 2008 and check its temerture.
And guess what? without any serious load (the most terrorizing load is the Nvidia driver)
it reach 60C.

I also have two other hard drives - another two 250GB
(exactly the same model, which reachs 37C and 33C the other one)

Any suggestions? does any one can give me somthing to check the HDD health or somthing?
:cry:

Thank!
Xero

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
HDTune is a tool that can tell you what I think you're looking for. Also, to make sure the sensor isn't malfunctioning, you could try touching each of the drives to see if one is obviously warmer than the others. If that is the case I'd see about installing a fan to actively cool that drive.

-mcg

60C is totally wrong. I think your drive has a defect and will die soon. A fan would prevent the high temperature from killing the drive sooner, but the defect that causes the 60C will still be there and will probably kill the drive anyway. Backup often. Try to keep the important files on the other drives.

The good news is you can buy a 640GB disk for $75 or so these days, and it's faster than the 250GB versions too.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I guess I will.
I have found a HDD fan for 5.71$ (20NIS in Israel)

http://www.getprice.com.au/AOC-HD-1000-Sleeve-Bearing-Hard-Drive-Cooler-Gpnc_276--30082316.htm

Do you think that it would do the trink?
Coz this is the only HDD fan avaliable at my shop.

P.S
I have a question.
If I want to do RAID 1 with my hard drives (isnt it mirroring?)
would it lower my computer preformance?
(I am working with graphcis like Autocad and 3Dmax)

I couldnt tell by the pic or description exactly how that works, but it looks like it will do the trick.. Does that mount the hdd in a 5.25 slot? As for the RAID1, which is mirroring, it will not lower your performence. In fact, since it can read from both drives at the same time it actually can boost performence in that respect. Not as efficient at reading from 2 drives as a RAID0 array, but it should help when reading large files in AutoCAD and 3DMax.