Web Browser Grand Prix 2: The Top 5 Tested And Ranked

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crazypete

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Anyone hoping that FF4 will bring it anywhere near Chrome or Opera is in for a disappointment. I tried 4.0b4 and it was about half the speed... and much more memory hungry

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]First off, interesting comparison.It's also interesting how most of the tech crowd places so much emphasis on artificial benchmarks on browsers.In a PC component review, synthetic tests are done first, then real-world benchmarks are performed.. That's because real-world benchmarks (games, applications) mean heck of a lot more than synthetic benchmarks.Why isn't the same done with browsers? Tests are done in reverse - from real-world test to synthetic tests. The emphasis is clearly on running scripts in an artificial environment than actual startup and page load times, it seems.Or, perhaps, is the tech crowd just hung up on mercilessly beating IE8 as a crappy browser? Because as it shown in real-life tests - it performs pretty damn well for such an unoptimized, old browser in my opinion. For general web-surfers - which comprise of the absolute majority of the population - IE8 fits the task just fine. And as it was shown in a previous review, it provided the safest browsing experience as well.Downrate me all you want, but after doing so why not hit "reply" and explain why you disagree?[/citation]

Synthetics provide a very good perspective on real world performance.
You'd be a fool to expect them to be 100% accurate on various different configurations. IMO, as long as a browser does well on all and does not fail miserably even some is a decent browser. My browser recommendation: Not IE

shadowmaster625

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
This is a screenshot from a flash game running on IE9: http://grab.by/9WxQ

There are huge gray sections that are failing to render or whatnot. The sections grow over time. It looks really bad. This doesn't happen on firefox. But the game does run faster on IE9, for whatever that is worth... obviously not much.

Status
Not open for further replies.