Web Browser Grand Prix 7: Firefox 7, Chrome 14, Opera 11.51

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have been a Firefox user and changed to Chrome some years ago but turned back to Firefox recently due to major CPU problems in daily visited sites like Gizmodo and 9GAG that Chrome had. Chrome was freezing for some time and then back to normal in every post opened in a separate tab. I had to use scripts but it was getting uncomfortable after some time.
Firefox deserves the first place this season.

G

I have used Firefox for a long time now and had been very happy with it until version 6.0. Now fonts are rendered horribly. Most of the fonts show up as bold versions and not only very unpleasant, but very misleading.
eg. Yahoo mail shows a list of email subjects which should be bold for unread emails. Using Firefox, ALL emails show up as bold, even after having been read.

Chrome renders the fonts correctly. Very disappointing.

Although, this might be because of cygwin+cygwin fonts installed on my system ? not really sure.
All I know is that chrome doesnt exhibit this behavior, so sadly have to switch away from Firefox for emails and many news sites.

G

As per usual, those who "compare" browsers are full of fail. There are more than just five browsers, though shills and lazy people would rather you not be aware of that.

Flock died because it didn't gather enough support to maintain it. Why didn't it gain enough support? Because those who "compare" browsers ignored it, never including it in comparisons despite its value and functionality.

K-meleon is dying, without a major update in almost a year because its number of users, programmers and donators is waning. K-meleon has all the features, plugins and functions of Firefox without the bloat, and uses the same Mozilla engine, but "writers" ignore it at every turn.

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/

Opera is rarely spoken of in browser comparisons because, again, shills choose to ignore it. If Opera weren't the dominant browser in cell phones, I'd wager it wouldn't be mentioned as much as it is or in this page's comparison.

QtWeb is based on Apple's webkit and is gaining some support, but "writers" rarely talk about it. Are they too lazy to look for other browsers, or too busy shilling for the largest ones to curry favour?

http://www.qtweb.net/

There are plenty of good, modern, full-featured browsers that deserve mention and testing, especially those that are "lighter" than the five focused on by this writer. Unfortunately, people seem unwilling to make an effort to look for or research them. They're like shoppers buying into the "culture of walmart" instead of supporting a local businessman.

Lightweight but full-featured browsers are a far better option for netbooks and Flash RAM sticks than slow-loading and bloated browsers designed for desktop PCs. I would like to see more professionalism and thoroughness by writers, but the watchword nowadays is, "Better to do it fast than to do it right."

Contrary to the popular maxim, building a better mousetrap DOESN'T mean the world will beat a path to your door. You could ask Gary Kildall about that one, if he were still alive.

techpops

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
While I use Firefox all the time and have done for years, mainly because of the add-ons, I've been getting more and more annoyed lately at the speed of the updates Firefox pushes out that break your add-ons. The list of add-ons and plug-ins I'm now using has shrunk to about half what I used to enjoy, just because they no longer work. And the real kicker is this will be a problem forever more as the updates aren't going to stop.

I'm close to switching just to see if I can get a good set of add-ons going in Chrome that won't continually break every week with micro updates to the browser.

G

i wonder if the other browser are as compatible as IE, even on windows 8 IE is 100% compatible with any website in any language.

Trewyy

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
What? Firefox won?

I am a Firefox fan boy. Never stopped believing. But what I couldn't believe is what I saw on the next page. Firefox won? How?
The tests I saw showed firefox was a consistent 2nd/3rd place.

I love firefox for its extensions, not for its speed (which is still good).

If I was going to pick a winner based on tests, it would be Chrome in 1st place, Firefox 2nd, Internet Explorer 3rd, Opera 4th, Safari LAST.

techpops

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
[citation][nom]trewyy[/nom]What? Firefox won?I am a Firefox fan boy. Never stopped believing. But what I couldn't believe is what I saw on the next page. Firefox won? How?The tests I saw showed firefox was a consistent 2nd/3rd place.I love firefox for its extensions, not for its speed (which is still good).If I was going to pick a winner based on tests, it would be Chrome in 1st place, Firefox 2nd, Internet Explorer 3rd, Opera 4th, Safari LAST.[/citation]

But when it really comes down to it, it's the features (read as add-ons too) that really matter. Synthetic benchmarks are almost meaningless in browsers. They are all pretty darn nippy if you throw a decent computer at them.

Put it this way, would you be able to tell which browser you were using from the speed alone?

And there you go, the speed tests are fun but not really that important outside of being branding messages each company can use to promote the browser and as a guide on which technologies within the browser are doing better between each other.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
[citation][nom]makaveli316[/nom]I just tried Chrome once again and once again there's no option to change cach files directory and size. I have to edit the .exe with a command to do this, but that affects only the shortcut and not the main directory .exe, so when i click on my gmail gadget, it opens the main exe and i don't want to write cach files on my SSD, i want it to have an option to change the directory. So once again Google Chrome - uninstalled.[/citation]

Sucks that you can't navigate an options panel, bro. Cool story.

spotify95

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Having a look there, how can FF7 be the supreme for memory testing, when Chrome and IE give all of its memory back immediately? Remember: in Web browser grand prix VI Firefox was awful at memory management!!
And, I believe that hell must have arrived, and frozen over - Chrome definitely had it then.
Go back to the result charts and you`ll see, but there is just NO WAY that I will download FF on my computer - even Safari, who placed last, is preferable to FF.
And now, Chrome 15 is even better! There is nothing that will make me use Firefox....

spotify95

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
@makaveli316: what are you even thinking about? either download google chrome or just leave us all get on with our superior browsers.

spotify95

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]Kudos to FF for a flimsy win over very worthy opponents.[/citation]
Yes, is it because chrome is winning it? :) Firefox has always been poor, and always will be.

spotify95

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Firefox has always been very poor, that is why I have ALWAYS used Chrome, and now we have Chrome 15, even better. Definitely the winner.

spotify95

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
[citation][nom]Anonymous[/nom]Google Chrome the best? Ha! It doesn't even have RSS: http://my.opera.com/wikipedian/blo [...] ss-supportAlso, I am sticking with IE9 cause I can't be bothered to switch browsers every time I want to visit my school website (it uses Macromedia Authorware). Also I hate Chrome, because it tend to mess up my system: http://my.opera.com/wikipedian/blo [...] me-is-evil[/citation]
Hey, [citation][nom]tyw7[/nom]Google Chrome the best? Ha! It doesn't even have RSS : http://my.opera.com/wikipedian/blo [...] s-support. Even Internet Explorer have RSS!Also, I am sticking with IE9 cause I can't be bothered to switch browsers every time I want to visit my school website (it uses Macromedia Authorware). Also I hate Chrome, because it tend to mess up my system: http://my.opera.com/wikipedian/blo [...] me-is-evil[/citation]
Hey, I dont mind, that being because Im not that bothered about RSS at the moment, but I have IE8 and its just too slow for me, I can`t upgrade to IE9 since they dropped support for XP!!!!
Oh well, Chrome isnt the best for everyone, but it is for me :)

spotify95

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
@tyw7: the link to the website doesn`t work! Are you trying to make everyone download Opera?!
Sorry but Opera isn`t for me.....

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
How can Firefox win speed tests when it's rendering engine can only take advantage of ONE CPU (core)! This includes Firefox 8!

Once they make it SMP aware and you test all these browsers in a 4-core or 8-core system, Firefox may very well pass all others in speed tests. Who knows though when Mozilla will make Firefox SMP aware.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]makaveli316[/nom]"Until another browser beats Chrome in the speed/performance benchmarks I'm sticking with it."lol people still think they can feel the difference in terms of speed in real world performance and there's still people that doesn't use a browser for their needs and preferences, but just because they have seen some silly benchmark.Ridiculous. I bet those are the same people that are always complaining in the forums about crashes, viruses and blue screens.[/citation]

Computers and applications are still fast enough. I find that I keep waiting on the internet.

G

I think the poster after me who quoted my post broke the links. Try again. Plus, I am using My Opera as blogging platform.

spotify95

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011

In fact, now I have read the link, I just cannot stop thinking about the time at school when Opera ruined my browsing experience......

NEED TO KEEP WITH CHROME!!!!!!!!!! :wahoo: :)

spotify95

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Oh dear, Chrome just crashed......
Never mind, I am not the person to be reading page upon page of non-stop text!!! Its still chrome for me! And nothing will change it, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.