Web Browser Grand Prix 7: Firefox 7, Chrome 14, Opera 11.51

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spotify95

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
[citation][nom]spotify95[/nom]Oh dear, Chrome just crashed......Never mind, I am not the person to be reading page upon page of non-stop text!!! Its still chrome for me! And nothing will change it, sorry.[/citation]

G

I use Opera Mini :kaola: not the Opera browser :lol:

spotify95

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011

Is that the same browser as the one in the Nintendo DSi and the Wii? Thats absolutely awful, sorry but it cant do anything.....

I believe the full Opera to be better than the Mini....

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
We still have some 50 machines running Win2k. Chrome does not work on it, so Firefox, Opera and SeaMonkey it is. I fail to see why a number of browser Folks have no problem making their product support older systems while Google can not no it.

I understand that home users who play the latest games and want the latest in wiz-bang desktop candy will laugh and cringe about using Win2k. But for business users it makes a lot of sense.
Updating a boat load of office systems is VERY expensive. Not so much the cost of the OS, but the installation and especially the retraining of people. So we tend to stick with what works for as long as we can.

Ah yes, and it keeps the employees from playing 'Crisis' during work hours :)

G

I still use Firefox for sites not compatible to what I feel is clearly the best on speed, random quick use, security, privacy, customizations and add-ons that don't compromise the integrity of privacy and security; and that browser is OPERA AND OPERA MINI for mobile. I am a 12 year tech vet former member of phrozen crew and currently a leading Anon, and whereas Google and Apple can be good for businesses ( I run my own tech company) and I do like to offer cross-compatability, however, I also am dead set on privacy, security, and ethics. Whereas I am an almost bias fan of hackers (especially hacktivists and white coats against the establishment) I am always more concerned about rouge activity from giants like Google than I will ever be of an individual. Google alone who also runs Android is admitted many times of their security breaches, apps with ability to spy on its users, and flat out data mining. Apple is the biggest ID10T joke just on its IBM-ish, proprietary products alone. Most of these reviews are purely based on the front end of these softwares, devices, and services; the same attitude only a non-tech end user would have who doesn't understand or cares to understand the liability they and hundreds of other users make for themselves and others when they don't learn the back end reasoning behind some tech companies and making a products or service popular in numbers that can be potentially more harmful to them now and in the near future than a Trojan to the point it may harm their security in the real world. I like Mozilla, but Opera truly is the best. You can't blame the browser for some sites that are too lazy to update themselves to a more compatible use for Opera users. It's not like they release a new Opera version every Tuesday like Mozilla. Blackberry is the security one needs for mobile regardless of the few tradeoffs of app lacking and having to use grey matter to use it sometimes. And the browser (liken to BB security on the norm) is Opera. I do love open API for developer sake as an option, which is why I like Mozilla. However, for all the features Chrome offers AND without the worry of your privacy being monitored and invaded BY THE COMPANY WHO MADE THE DAMN BROWSER, Opera and Firefox are the only sure bets until someone releases a true benchmark compatible browser for all things for integrity and simplicity for the People, not N-Q-Tel-funded glorified spyware for zombies, American Idolers, and zoned out ESPN fans.

spotify95

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Chrome and IE9 came in forst and second wrt memory management. Just because Firefox uses the least memory in a 40 tab load, dopesn't mean it wins memory management. Memory management is closing the 39 tabs and seeing how much memory is left - which Chrome won and IE9 was second?! So how can Firefox win the memory tests?!

Status
Not open for further replies.