Web Browser Grand Prix: Chrome 20, Opera 12, Firefox 13

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

v0vets

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
It looks like you haven't switch on the hardware acceleration in Opera properly. My Opera shows 4300 points in Psychedelic Browsing Demo. And Chrome 3500, IE9 - 7200.

G

"In the world of actual productivity, you'll find Linux and other open sourced software are dominant, particularly in engineering and the sciences."

What a load of crap. Sciences eh? I'm a software engineer who develops for a world famous manufacturer for all kinds of systems, mostly Microsoft. I've been developing for 25 years.

Visual Studio 2010 urinates over Eclipse and its ilk. I use both products, Eclipse is not a patch on 2010, especially text editor config or online help. Android documentation is awful, the MSDN help is well organised. Office is ubiquituous.

Microsoft's dominant market share in the business world is no accident.

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
"In the world of actual productivity, you'll find Linux and other open sourced software are dominant, particularly in engineering and the sciences."

What a load of crap. Sciences eh? I'm a software engineer who develops for a world famous manufacturer for all kinds of systems, mostly Microsoft. I've been developing for 25 years.

Visual Studio 2010 urinates over Eclipse and its ilk. I use both products, Eclipse is not a patch on 2010, especially text editor config or online help. Android documentation is awful, the MSDN help is well organised. Office is ubiquituous.

Microsoft's dominant market share in the business world is no accident.

A software engineer who can't properly quote a message on a forum? Says a lot about your credibility. And the fact that you even use Visual Studio and defend it says even more. On the list of 500 fastest supercomputers, >80% of the computers run on Linux; 92.4% run some family of Linux. In the mean while less than 0.5% run Windows. Of the top 10, 100% are Linux. That is no accident either. Anyone who actually needs performance, stability, customization, they use Linux.

http://i.top500.org/stats

Windows is popular because of Microsoft's clever marketing and questionable business ethics.

Fokissed

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]jerm1027[/nom]A software engineer who can't properly quote a message on a forum? Says a lot about your credibility. And the fact that you even use Visual Studio and defend it says even more. On the list of 500 fastest supercomputers, >80% of the computers run on Linux; 92.4% run some family of Linux. In the mean while less than 0.5% run Windows. Of the top 10, 100% are Linux. That is no accident either. Anyone who actually needs performance, stability, customization, they use Linux. http://i.top500.org/statsWindows is popular because of Microsoft's clever marketing and questionable business ethics.[/citation]
He's right though, Visual Studio is eons beyond any other IDE. Windows isn't used in super computer because its a GENERAL OS, not specialized like Linux can be.

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011

Either programmers are progressively becoming dumber, or the industry is just looking for sweat labor for coding instead of actual coders (which would explain the declining quality in [proprietary] software). Visual Studio is well-adopted and is decent, but it isn't "eons beyond any other IDE"

On points, Visual Studio comes out ahead 3-2 in this short tour. But, depending on your requirements and preferences, it could easily swing either way. Users expect more and more from an IDE these days, and the cost of developing one from scratch is prohibitive unless you have very deep pockets. Eclipse and Visual Studio both give you the infrastructure to provide a really great user experience; Visual Studio is obviously only going to run on Windows so if you want to develop on other platforms Eclipse is now the winner.
http://geekswithblogs.net/cyberycon/archive/2011/05/01/eclipse-vs-visual-studio.aspx

Just the fact the Visual Studio is only on Windows can make it crippling. Personally, I prefer Geany since it's cross-platform and supports more languages.

G

I would suggest you run a memory efficiency test using multiple tabs and FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE and other heavy memory sites. Let's see how the browsers perform there. I think the websites are not optimized, so the score would be very interesting!

G

Most plugins and apps use far too much memory in Chrome. For example Ad Block plus uses 60 megabytes! It doesn't take that much to use regexp on a page and remove the contents according to a web accessible list. Google Drive uses 20 Megs even when it's not open, just by being installed!! That's way too excessive! If I open Facebook's newsfeed, it uses 200 MEGS! If I have gmail open on the listing of new emails, it uses up just as much, 200 freaking megs!!! Gmail is almost 99% all text stuff, so it shouldn't even be using 1 meg!

That's rather pathetic code if you ask me. Really sad..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS