[SOLVED] Web browsing extremely slow and unresponsive on windows xp.

RealSmoke

Prominent
Jul 31, 2019
Pc spec: Pentium 4 630, gt 710 lp 1gb, 3gb ddr2 ram.
Sure not the best pc but on windows 8.1 web browsing, youtube and reading mail was smooth fast and very responsive.
Why is this not the case on windows xp? everything is laggy slow unresponsive, sometimes pages take like a minute to load! its not the internet because on windows 8.1 it was good.
Incase any one is wondering why i went to win xp its because on win 7 and 8.1 games were running on way too low fps.

Solution
Are there still any good and trusty web browsers that support win xp? curently i'm using opera ver 36.0.
Yes, cretainly there are. This is a forum you must join if you are a die hard XP user like me. https://www.xpforums.com/

Here are some links there, for Web browsers like NewMoon/MyPal/Palemoon/Serpent/K-Meleon etc.

There are...
Pc spec: Pentium 4 630, gt 710 lp 1gb, 3gb ddr2 ram.
Sure not the best pc but on windows 8.1 web browsing, youtube and reading mail was smooth fast and very responsive.
Why is this not the case on windows xp? everything is laggy slow unresponsive, sometimes pages take like a minute to load! its not the internet because on windows 8.1 it was good.
Incase any one is wondering why i went to win xp its because on win 7 and 8.1 games were running on way too low fps.

Support for Windows XP on browsers liek firefox and chrome have ended in 2018. For security purposes, which includes all the devices on that computer's network, you should stop using XP to browse the web. Websites are no longer supporting certain software that windows xp browsers require to run like HTML5.

RealSmoke

Prominent
Jul 31, 2019
Support for Windows XP on browsers liek firefox and chrome have ended in 2018. For security purposes, which includes all the devices on that computer's network, you should stop using XP to browse the web. Websites are no longer supporting certain software that windows xp browsers require to run like HTML5.
Are there still any good and trusty web browsers that support win xp? curently i'm using opera ver 36.0.

Short answer, no. Most big company browsers, especially Opera, have begun dropping XP support long ago. Opera said they were gonna continue supporting but no updates have occurred since 2017. You can try third party browsers like Vivaldi or Maxthon but in 2019 you will have to dig deep to find a supported browser. Microsoft and everyone else is telling you it's time to move on. Though some just don't have the money.

Isn't that for enterprise use mostly?
Also the latest release was 52.9 and even so support for that ended exactly a year ago. I mean OP go ahead and try it out anyway for the sake of getting fast speeds but it's still a security risk.
First no, the XP ESR (Extended Service Release) is for anyone using XP. However, saying XP is being supported may have been to strong a statement, but anyone using XP is going to have to come to grips with the fact that security is going issue regardless of what browser they use, so they might as well use the fastest browser available.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2018
Yes, cretainly there are. This is a forum you must join if you are a die hard XP user like me. https://www.xpforums.com/

Here are some links there, for Web browsers like NewMoon/MyPal/Palemoon/Serpent/K-Meleon etc.

There are many more threads here with help and links for web browsers. If you join the forum and ask the question, I am sure you will be directed to more threads on this subject. This is a forum with fast and great help for those who want to keep on using XP 😀

Last edited:
Solution

Endre

Reputable
Short answer, no. Most big company browsers, especially Opera, have begun dropping XP support long ago. Opera said they were gonna continue supporting but no updates have occurred since 2017. You can try third party browsers like Vivaldi or Maxthon but in 2019 you will have to dig deep to find a supported browser. Microsoft and everyone else is telling you it's time to move on. Though some just don't have the money.

“Some don’t have the money”??
A Windows 10 license is about 10$ on eBay!
And even with an old PC, Windows 10 will run faster than XP!

“Some don’t have the money”??
A Windows 10 license is about 10$ on eBay!
And even with an old PC, Windows 10 will run faster than XP!

Dont have the money to buy new computers is what I meant. I know all about windows OEM keys and that stuff, but even so the average consumer doesn't know about those keys and will buy the retailer disc anyway. Pretty sure they also wouldn't know how to create a bootable usb to install windows with.

Reactions: Endre
A bit late to the party, but we use the following portable browsers on our xp machines:
portable firefox esr (52)
winpenpack xchrome 45 (portable)

We're able to still access about 80-90% of websites with these without issues. and the browsers are decently fast as a speed-battle test shows that even our e8600 hits almost 1300 with ff.

To keep xp secure, I highly recommend installing windows steadystate and locking it down. You can put the portable software on a non locked down partition or usb drive, 2nd hard drive, etc.