Question Web pages slow to open in Chrome until Edge is opened

htradne

Honorable
Feb 23, 2016
After building a new computer last weekend I've had a strange experience with opening web pages that has persisted for the entire week. I use Chrome as my primary browser. After I turn on the computer web pages, for several minutes, are slow to load in Chrome. I get the "Establishing secure connection" message in the status bar. I noticed early on that if I start IE Edge and load ANY random page that it would cause Chrome to immediately load the page it had been trying to load. This will go on for maybe 20-30 minutes before Chrome will begin to load pages normally on it's own. Even after that every now and again Chrome will decide to choke and I have to open Edge.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Jepson

Commendable
Feb 28, 2019
Do you have any addons on your chrome bar IE Adblock, Honey, etc. If so, maybe try and deactivate those and see if that works.

Also, you could try and uninstall both browsers and see if that works.
The last thing you could try is to just switch over to Edge. I know it sounds bad, but I have watched a speed comparison of Chrome vs. Edge and Chrome only loads webpages the tiniest bit faster. So switching to edge would not be so bad if you are using it for simple/intermediate tasks.

Hope this helps!

htradne

Honorable
Feb 23, 2016
Do you have any addons on your chrome bar IE Adblock, Honey, etc. If so, maybe try and deactivate those and see if that works.

The last thing you could try is to just switch over to Edge. I know it sounds bad, but I have watched a speed comparison of Chrome vs. Edge and Chrome only loads webpages the tiniest bit faster. So switching to edge would not be so bad if you are using it for simple/intermediate tasks.

Hope this helps!

I did disable all of my extensions, but it didn't change anything. I've considered switching to Edge, but this is really just an irritant since it by and large gets "fixed" after a little while. Also, I have many site specific extensions that I really don't want to switch. I haven't used an MS browser since Firefox came out years ago. I'm more curious than anything. I've never heard of this happening before!

htradne

Honorable
Feb 23, 2016
I'm reply to my own post as I've found the answer to my problem although there doesn't appear to be a solution. I posted this on reddit and a poster kindly pointed out that there's a known problem with the Win 10 Apr 2018 update where an issue with the CryptSvc service is causing the problem. Just trying to load this page caused Chrome to stall. I stopped CryptSvc and the page loaded instantly. The service can later restart itself.