Mike

Splendid

Hi,

I am an older "newbie" and find some issues considerably frustrating. I am
running Windows XP Pro on a Compaq laptop. I have installed all Windows XP
and IE service pack updates and try to keep my McAfee virus checker and
firewall up to date.

I have a number of desktop shortcuts pointing to web pages that up until a
few days ago worked fine with IE. When I booted up the other day, none of the
shortcuts worked. In researching my problem on the Microsoft site I tumbled
to this resource. So as not to waste your time, I have been through most if
not all of the threads dealing with shortcuts and tried every recommended
action before I posted my problem. I have also reinstalled IE from the XP
disk, but the shortcuts still do not work. I have not reinstalled XP Pro.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Mike Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am an older "newbie" and find some issues considerably frustrating. I
> am
> running Windows XP Pro on a Compaq laptop. I have installed all Windows
> XP
> and IE service pack updates and try to keep my McAfee virus checker
> and
> firewall up to date.
>
> I have a number of desktop shortcuts pointing to web pages that up
> until a
> few days ago worked fine with IE. When I booted up the other day, none
> of the
> shortcuts worked. In researching my problem on the Microsoft site I
> tumbled
> to this resource. So as not to waste your time, I have been through
> most if
> not all of the threads dealing with shortcuts and tried every
> recommended
> action before I posted my problem. I have also reinstalled IE from the
> XP
> disk, but the shortcuts still do not work. I have not reinstalled XP
> Pro.
>
> Any suggestions?
>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Mike

Just curious, but what happens when you click on the shortcuts? Like
what do you come up with? Is it the usual white page like when your
Internet is down?

--
Evolution54

Mike

Splendid

Hello,

Yes, I get the white page "cannot be found" or some such exactly as if no
internet connection existed. I can cut and paste the URL into IE and all is
well, but no shortcuts work.

Thanks, Mike

"Evolution54" wrote:

> Mike Wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am an older "newbie" and find some issues considerably frustrating. I
> > am
> > running Windows XP Pro on a Compaq laptop. I have installed all Windows
> > XP
> > and IE service pack updates and try to keep my McAfee virus checker
> > and
> > firewall up to date.
> >
> > I have a number of desktop shortcuts pointing to web pages that up
> > until a
> > few days ago worked fine with IE. When I booted up the other day, none
> > of the
> > shortcuts worked. In researching my problem on the Microsoft site I
> > tumbled
> > to this resource. So as not to waste your time, I have been through
> > most if
> > not all of the threads dealing with shortcuts and tried every
> > recommended
> > action before I posted my problem. I have also reinstalled IE from the
> > XP
> > disk, but the shortcuts still do not work. I have not reinstalled XP
> > Pro.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >

> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Mike
>
> Just curious, but what happens when you click on the shortcuts? Like
> what do you come up with? Is it the usual white page like when your
> Internet is down?
>

> --
> Evolution54

Mike,

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer
2. Click Start/Run and type INETCPL.CPL
3. Click the Programs tab, and click "Reset Web Settings" button
4. Select "Yes" when prompted, and click OK to close the dialog.

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

> Hi,
>
> I am an older "newbie" and find some issues considerably frustrating. I am
> running Windows XP Pro on a Compaq laptop. I have installed all Windows XP
> and IE service pack updates and try to keep my McAfee virus checker and
> firewall up to date.
>
> I have a number of desktop shortcuts pointing to web pages that up until a
> few days ago worked fine with IE. When I booted up the other day, none of
> the
> shortcuts worked. In researching my problem on the Microsoft site I
> tumbled
> to this resource. So as not to waste your time, I have been through most
> if
> not all of the threads dealing with shortcuts and tried every recommended
> action before I posted my problem. I have also reinstalled IE from the XP
> disk, but the shortcuts still do not work. I have not reinstalled XP Pro.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Mike

Mike

Splendid

Hi Ramesh,

I appreciate your reply to my question, but, unfortunately, taking the
proposed action did not convince my laptop to shape up. The shortcuts still
do not work.

Thank you, Mike

Mike Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am an older "newbie" and find some issues considerably frustrating. I
> am
> running Windows XP Pro on a Compaq laptop. I have installed all Windows
> XP
> and IE service pack updates and try to keep my McAfee virus checker
> and
> firewall up to date.
>
> I have a number of desktop shortcuts pointing to web pages that up
> until a
> few days ago worked fine with IE. When I booted up the other day, none
> of the
> shortcuts worked. In researching my problem on the Microsoft site I
> tumbled
> to this resource. So as not to waste your time, I have been through
> most if
> not all of the threads dealing with shortcuts and tried every
> recommended
> action before I posted my problem. I have also reinstalled IE from the
> XP
> disk, but the shortcuts still do not work. I have not reinstalled XP
> Pro.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Mike

Hello again

Just wondering but the way you set up the shortcut...was it by going to
the webpage, and then file then Send then shortcut to desktop? Or was
there another method you used? Thanks

--
Evolution54

Mike Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am an older "newbie" and find some issues considerably frustrating. I
> am
> running Windows XP Pro on a Compaq laptop. I have installed all Windows
> XP
> and IE service pack updates and try to keep my McAfee virus checker
> and
> firewall up to date.
>
> I have a number of desktop shortcuts pointing to web pages that up
> until a
> few days ago worked fine with IE. When I booted up the other day, none
> of the
> shortcuts worked. In researching my problem on the Microsoft site I
> tumbled
> to this resource. So as not to waste your time, I have been through
> most if
> not all of the threads dealing with shortcuts and tried every
> recommended
> action before I posted my problem. I have also reinstalled IE from the
> XP
> disk, but the shortcuts still do not work. I have not reinstalled XP
> Pro.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Mike

OK think I kind of found another method. This is similar to the one
mentioned earlier by another poster.

Open Registry Editor and navigate to:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InternetShortcut
Now, backup this key and then save as a REG file
Then, delete 'InternetShortcut' key
Open up Internet Explorer, Tools, Internet Options, Programs
Choose "Reset Web Settings"

I really hope this works for you. Let us know the outcome.

--
Evolution54

Evolution54 Wrote:
> OK think I kind of found another method. This is similar to the one
> mentioned earlier by another poster.
>
> Open Registry Editor and navigate to:
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InternetShortcut
> Now, backup this key and then save as a REG file
> Then, delete 'InternetShortcut' key
> Open up Internet Explorer, Tools, Internet Options, Programs
> Choose "Reset Web Settings"
>
> I really hope this works for you. Let us know the outcome.

Sorry but just in case you are not sure how to back up a registry key

http://tinyurl.com/ttbn

--
Evolution54

Mike

Splendid

Hello Evolution 54,

Thanks! I followed your suggestion in your last post and all is well. My
laptop has decided to let me use the web shortcuts again. I sincerely
appreciate your taking the time to help me fix my problem. Thanks, too, for
the info. link on saving the registry key.

Best regards,

Mike

Mike Wrote:
> Hello Evolution 54,
>
> Thanks! I followed your suggestion in your last post and all is well.
> My
> laptop has decided to let me use the web shortcuts again. I sincerely
> appreciate your taking the time to help me fix my problem. Thanks, too,
> for
> the info. link on saving the registry key.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Mike
>
> "Evolution54" wrote:
> -
>
> Evolution54 Wrote:-
> OK think I kind of found another method. This is similar to the one
> mentioned earlier by another poster.
>
> Open Registry Editor and navigate to:
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InternetShortcut
> Now, backup this key and then save as a REG file
> Then, delete 'InternetShortcut' key
> Open up Internet Explorer, Tools, Internet Options, Programs
> Choose "Reset Web Settings"
>
> I really hope this works for you. Let us know the outcome.-
>
> Sorry but just in case you are not sure how to back up a registry key
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ttbn
>

> --
> Evolution54
> -

No problem Mike....Just glad I could help another person out today.
Peace :D

--
Evolution54