Question Webcloak USB encryption/security device

Aug 28, 2019
Hello-

Has anyone tested one of these devices to see if it does what it claims to do? Googling finds basically no testing/reviews. It was a Kickstarter thing, now it's sold at Frys. I know there are things like Tails you can install on a USB yourself, but for somebody like my mom, this would be perfect if it works. Following is a link to it on Amazon, where it's apparently not sold anymore.
https://www.amazon.com/Webcloak-Simple-Secure-Internet-Access/dp/B07M8RL76P

Axcrypt is pretty easy to use, having right click integration into Windows menus...

Additionally, when Axcrypt is not 'logged in', the docs/files so encrypted are impervious to viewing/opening. But once logged into once, no more password interaction when encrypting/decrypting is necessary...

Is the goal merely secure data on a USB? Glary Utilities, 7Zip, Bitlocker (requires Pro/Enterprise), Sophos Free Encryption, Cleopatra/GnuGPG, Veracrypt, BCArchive, Encrypto, and many others are available...

Aug 28, 2019
Axcrypt is pretty easy to use, having right click integration into Windows menus...

Additionally, when Axcrypt is not 'logged in', the docs/files so encrypted are impervious to viewing/opening. But once logged into once, no more password interaction when encrypting/decrypting is necessary...

Is the goal merely secure data on a USB? Glary Utilities, 7Zip, Bitlocker (requires Pro/Enterprise), Sophos Free Encryption, Cleopatra/GnuGPG, Veracrypt, BCArchive, Encrypto, and many others are available...
Hi, and thanks for replying. No the goal isn't just to secure the data on the USB drive. This Webcloak device claims to (my explanation as I understand it) create a virtual machine with everything encrypted so you don't have to worry about keyloggers, viruses, whatever infecting your real OS.

USAFRet

Titan
The comment of "singlehandedly prevented the Sony Pictures Entertainment hack," is strictly from their marketing department.

I'd have to see some independent tests before I believe that claim, or any other claim.
Of course, such tests are nowhere to be found. I wonder why not...:unsure:

Aug 28, 2019
The comment of "singlehandedly prevented the Sony Pictures Entertainment hack," is strictly from their marketing department.

I'd have to see some independent tests before I believe that claim, or any other claim.
Of course, such tests are nowhere to be found. I wonder why not...:unsure:
Yes, exactly. (And one of the [two] Amazon reviews looks very similar to one of the Frys reviews.) Why hasn't anybody done anything to prove this is snake oil? Or a miracle? It's inexpensive, it seems weird to me that nobody is curious enough to check it out. I would if I were qualified.

Sep 12, 2019
I am responding to this post from a Webcloak stick. I've had one since Kickstarter. The first one didn't work very well but they quickly fixed the issues. It was pretty slow. I got the one that I'm using now about a year ago and it works great. You can watch videos, browse and it has a chat app that I haven't used. Don't know why its so hard to find info on it but I hope this helps.