[SOLVED] Weird behaviour on laptop with multiple screens

Jun 19, 2021
OK, so I'll start of by listing my specs here:
The laptop I'm using is a HP Envy Touchsmart 15 j143na
The Dedicated GPU in this laptop is an NVIDIA 840M, and the integrated one is Intel 4600.

I have a monitor plugged in via HDMI, and use the laptop screen as a secondary monitor.

A while ago, my games started running terribly all of a sudden. I reinstalled windows multiple times etc etc. I'm going to use valorant as a benchmark to give rough FPS for reference. At this time, Valorant would run at about 30-40 fps, but felt closer to 10. before, it was running at around 60 fps with framedrops here and there.
Eventually I discovered the disable fullscreen optimisations, which caused my game to start properly using the dedicated GPU again, and boosting my frames back up to around 60.

Now just today, I made the discovery that putting valorant on my laptop monitor, boosts the framerates from ~50 (Valorant has started running slower over time due to updates I'd assume) all the way to 200. I checked the settings and looked around in-game; nothing was off, the game was running like normal but at nearly 4x the FPS. I switched my display settings to "Use only monitor 2" which was the external monitor plugged in via HDMI, and Valorant kept up at those 190-200 fps. I switched back to extend then again back to only monitor 2, however this time the frames were closer to 70. running in extend mode but on my laptop monitor seems to consistently give those 190-200 FPS though.

Also, I can't seem to install new or old drivers, I've gone through dozens whether thats from NVIDIA's website, HP's website for this specific laptop build, Always got the error "Could not find compatible hardware". Tried manually adding my GPU's address to the driver, however it only fails at a later point with the message "Installation failed due to an unknown error" or something similar. (It also can't run Unity games for whatever reason, the module nvwgf2umx.dll always fails.)

tl;dr: Game runs at 4x the FPS on laptop screen compared to one plugged in via HDMI, and switching the display settings to only use the external monitor sometimes yields those 4x framerates, but sometimes its back to the normal. Drivers don't want to update.

Solution
I've tried using DDU to force remove drivers, both the intel and nvidia ones, in every order etc. yet I always get that same error no matter what.
Make sure you are doing it from Safe Mode and not normal mode because if you are still in normal mode, Windows restricts removal of some of the files that nVidia uses and it will not get removed completely. By being in Safe Mode you're essentially in VGA only bypassing any of those files.
Easiest way to force drivers is to manually download the latest version from nVidia's site HERE. Once you've got it downloaded, reboot to Safe Mode and uninstall the driver package first from Windows via the typical Add/Remove Programs method. Once done, reboot again and go right back to Safe Mode, once back in Safe Mode run the installer for the drivers you downloaded fresh. They should install at this point.

If this still doesn't allow them to install, you can try using BCUninstaller to force uninstalling them as it will remove any tidbits and files that might be causing them to not allow full removal or reinstall.

Jun 19, 2021
Easiest way to force drivers is to manually download the latest version from nVidia's site HERE. Once you've got it downloaded, reboot to Safe Mode and uninstall the driver package first from Windows via the typical Add/Remove Programs method. Once done, reboot again and go right back to Safe Mode, once back in Safe Mode run the installer for the drivers you downloaded fresh. They should install at this point.

If this still doesn't allow them to install, you can try using BCUninstaller to force uninstalling them as it will remove any tidbits and files that might be causing them to not allow full removal or reinstall.
I've tried using DDU to force remove drivers, both the intel and nvidia ones, in every order etc. yet I always get that same error no matter what.

Make sure you are doing it from Safe Mode and not normal mode because if you are still in normal mode, Windows restricts removal of some of the files that nVidia uses and it will not get removed completely. By being in Safe Mode you're essentially in VGA only bypassing any of those files.

Solution