Weird Dreams

Does this happen to other people as well?

I played a game fate seemed to smile upon. The
wizard had to kill a lot of monsters, but got
tons of useful scrolls and potions early on,
wands of speed, fire, digging, a lamp, a /opoly
turned my pet into a silver dragon, and I kept
wondering about my luck, when I realized I accidentally
started playing slash'em, not nethack.

And then I awoke.

Should I look for some nethacks anonymous in my neighbourhood?

Best,
Jakob

Jakob Creutzig wrote:
> Does this happen to other people as well?
>
> I played a game fate seemed to smile upon. The
> wizard had to kill a lot of monsters, but got
> tons of useful scrolls and potions early on,
> wands of speed, fire, digging, a lamp, a /opoly
> turned my pet into a silver dragon, and I kept
> wondering about my luck, when I realized I accidentally
> started playing slash'em, not nethack.
>
> And then I awoke.
>
> Should I look for some nethacks anonymous in my neighbourhood?
>
> Best,
> Jakob

Ever dreamed in ascii?

Nathan

Jakob Creutzig wrote:
> dogscoff@eudoramail.com writes:
>
> > Jakob Creutzig wrote:
> > > Does this happen to other people as well?
> > >
> > > I played a game fate seemed to smile upon.
> [..]
> > > And then I awoke.
> > >
> > Ever dreamed in ascii?

About 3-4 times a year I really get into playing Nethack for a
couple of weeks or so. Within the first few nights, I'm usually
dreaming about it. I always play ascii, so I dream in ascii too.

dogscoff@eudoramail.com writes:

> Jakob Creutzig wrote:
> > Does this happen to other people as well?
> >
> > I played a game fate seemed to smile upon.
[..]
> > And then I awoke.
> >
> > Should I look for some nethacks anonymous in my neighbourhood?
> >
> > Best,
> > Jakob
>
> Ever dreamed in ascii?

No, it was the windows graphical front-end.

Best,
Jakob

i even say dywypi to some of my staff, and stuff like what does the
message in the fortune cookie say and generally people look at me like
i am escaped from the madhouse.but thats only when i am not dreaming
abt posting my first ever AAP.yeah the ame affects you like , and just
cant get enough of it.

Janis Papanagnou wrote:

> Jakob Creutzig wrote:
>> Should I look for some nethacks anonymous in my neighbourhood?
>
> Pointless. Nethack addiction in not cureable. And since all the
> other anonymous are engaged at their computer terminals you would
> attend these meetings alone... - until you return to your Nethack
> games yourself.

Or worse -- other people show up, and you end up discussing NetHack
strategy. This makes you even more excited about going back home to play a
new game.

--
Benjamin Lewis

A small, but vocal, contingent even argues that tin is superior, but they
are held by most to be the lunatic fringe of Foil Deflector Beanie science.

Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> Jakob Creutzig wrote:
> >
> > Should I look for some nethacks anonymous in my neighbourhood?
>
> Pointless. Nethack addiction in not cureable. And since all the
> other anonymous are engaged at their computer terminals you would
> attend these meetings alone... - until you return to your Nethack
> games yourself.

I thought this ng *was* nethacks anonymous.

dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:
<snip>

> I thought this ng *was* nethacks anonymous.

I thought this ng was some sort of cult.

-K

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,misc.misc (More info?)

Andrew D. Hilton wrote:

> #-----------------
> #+ @@@ |
> #|%% @ @@ |
> #|%%@ @ |
> #|!!@ @ |
> #|!! @ @ |
> #|%% @ @@|
> #| @@|
> #--------|--------
> ##########
> # --------------
> # | d d d d |
> ##+ f f f |
> # | A |
> # --------------
> #

I would just like to report that the above is the
first dungeon map I ever saw Google Groups Beta
_not_ munge. What gives? Is it possible they've
done something rash, like fixing a bug? Of course,
I read in fixed point font mode, but still, ASCII
dungeon maps are usually a mess.

I did have to replace the tabs with appropriate
spaces to have the good layout survive quoting,
but OP's use of tabs isn't Google's fault.

xanthian.

Also, where are the tools (monitors and keyboards)
for a quick missing-NetHack anxiety panic attack
detox?

Nathan wrote:

> Jakob Creutzig wrote:
>> dogscoff@eudoramail.com writes:

>> [..]
>> > >
>> > Ever dreamed in ascii?
>
> About 3-4 times a year I really get into playing Nethack for a
> couple of weeks or so. Within the first few nights, I'm usually
> dreaming about it. I always play ascii, so I dream in ascii too.

I hardly ever remember my dreams but the ones i do are not about
nethack. I do , however, day dream about playing nethack which drives
my wife up the wall.

Jorge

On 2005-03-29, Jakob Creutzig <creutzig@mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:

> Should I look for some nethacks anonymous in my neighbourhood?

Wander around until you find someplace that looks kinda like this:

#-----------------
#+ @@@ |
#|%% @ @@ |
#|%%@ @ |
#|!!@ @ |
#|!! @ @ |
#|%% @ @@|
#| @@|
#--------|--------
##########
# --------------
# | d d d d |
##+ f f f |
# | A |
# --------------
#

Leave your pet in the pet area (cant have them moving everything around
in the meetings) walk inside, and try #chat. If it works, you are probably
in the right place :)

--
Andrew D. Hilton
UPenn Phd Student

dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote in news:1112133357.656646.286950
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Janis Papanagnou wrote:
>> Jakob Creutzig wrote:
>> >
>> > Should I look for some nethacks anonymous in my neighbourhood?
>>
>> Pointless. Nethack addiction in not cureable. And since all the
>> other anonymous are engaged at their computer terminals you would
>> attend these meetings alone... - until you return to your Nethack
>> games yourself.
>
> I thought this ng *was* nethacks anonymous.

Perhaps You want to get unaddicted, but I"m quite happy in my state!

Jakob Creutzig wrote:

> Should I look for some nethacks anonymous in my neighbourhood?

Pointless. Nethack addiction in not cureable. And since all the
other anonymous are engaged at their computer terminals you would
attend these meetings alone... - until you return to your Nethack
games yourself.

Janis

dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:

> I thought this ng *was* nethacks anonymous.

Ahh, well, maybe for some rare values of "anonymous". :)

Janis

Jakob Creutzig <creutzig@mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:

> Does this happen to other people as well?
>
> I played a game fate seemed to smile upon. The
> wizard had to kill a lot of monsters, but got
> tons of useful scrolls and potions early on,
> wands of speed, fire, digging, a lamp, a /opoly
> turned my pet into a silver dragon, and I kept
> wondering about my luck, when I realized I accidentally
> started playing slash'em, not nethack.
>
> And then I awoke.
>
> Should I look for some nethacks anonymous in my neighbourhood?

I don't know. All I can say is that you probably play as much NetHack as
I used to play Tetris. For that, the only medicine was getting rid of
the blasted thing.

Richard

rlb@hoekstra-uitgeverij.nl (Richard Bos) writes:

[nh dream]
> > Should I look for some nethacks anonymous in my neighbourhood?
>
> I don't know. All I can say is that you probably play as much NetHack as
> I used to play Tetris. For that, the only medicine was getting rid of
> the blasted thing.

That's the funny thing about it, I played my last nh game
some months ago. Never was a frequent player, two to three
games a week usually, but now our son is taking up almost
all spare time. Well, finally something more fun and
challenge than nh ;-), and no authorative spoilers and
How-Tos anywhere, just preliminary ones..

Best,
Jakob

Jakob Creutzig wrote:

> rlb@hoekstra-uitgeverij.nl (Richard Bos) writes:
>
> [nh dream]
>> > Should I look for some nethacks anonymous in my neighbourhood?
>>
>> I don't know. All I can say is that you probably play as much
>> NetHack as I used to play Tetris. For that, the only medicine was
>> getting rid of the blasted thing.
>
> That's the funny thing about it, I played my last nh game
> some months ago.

You don't play nethack anymore and you still read the group?

> Never was a frequent player, two to three
> games a week usually, but now our son is taking up almost
> all spare time.
Ha. Just wait until you have two. Better yet, just wait until you go
on a 14 hour flight with two by yourself to visit family and then two
weeks of "vacation" until the return trip.

> Well, finally something more fun and
> challenge than nh ;-), and no authorative spoilers and
> How-Tos anywhere, just preliminary ones..

Oh i don't know. The same rules apply. Practice, practice practice.
The more time you spend doing it the better you get at it.

Jorge

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, jorge estrada wrote:
> Jakob Creutzig wrote:
> > Never was a frequent player, two to three games a week usually, but
> > now our son is taking up almost all spare time. Well, finally
> > something more fun and challenge than nh ;-), and no authorative
> > spoilers and How-Tos anywhere, just preliminary ones..
> >
> Oh i don't know. The same rules apply. Practice, practice practice.

But I want to look at the source code!

--
Philipp Lucas
phlucas@online-club.de

jorge estrada <jestrada5@yahoo.com> writes:

> Jakob Creutzig wrote:
>
> > rlb@hoekstra-uitgeverij.nl (Richard Bos) writes:
> >
> > [nh dream]
> >>
> >> I don't know. All I can say is that you probably play as much
> >> NetHack as I used to play Tetris. For that, the only medicine was
> >> getting rid of the blasted thing.
> >
> > That's the funny thing about it, I played my last nh game
> > some months ago.
>
> You don't play nethack anymore and you still read the group?

I somehow hope to get back sometime. And I like it here.

Best,
Jakob

On 4/4/05 6:55 AM, Jakob Creutzig wrote:
> jorge estrada <jestrada5@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>>You don't play nethack anymore and you still read the group?
>
> I somehow hope to get back sometime. And I like it here.

I often don't play for several weeks or months at a time, especially
after an ascension or a heartbreaking late-game YASD. I still like
discussing things with people on newsgroups, and this one is better than
most.

--
Kevin Wayne

"I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"Waters? What waters? We're in the desert?"
"I was misinformed."