Weird Flickering

G

Hello!

I just purchased a new VisionTek Geforce2 mx 32mb card today. Installed it right when I got home. Anyway, after installing the NEW det3 drivers(and even before with the factory drivers), there is this weird flickering on screen when I play Worms Armageddon or an online game(subspace). Anyway...I tried different "output" modes but still, the flickering is still there! Diddn't have this prob with my old vid card(tnt2 m64 32mb). Anyway, can someone help me out? Monitor is a ViewSonic E771 17". Has been working great the past few months. HELP!! IT'S REALLLLY IRRITATING!! thx

I've been <b> Dazed </b> and <b> Confused </b> for so long... :eek:

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I used to have this kind of problem too. After I change the refresh rate to one that are support by my monitor the problems goes away. Hope this will help.

G

"1,024 x 768 at 87Hz flicker-free refresh rate for easy viewing."

I don't even get the 87Hz option when I go to Display options. Max is 75Hz. Currently it's set at optimal. Anymore solutions? It's really bugging me...-=\

G

Try installing the official drivers that came with video card as Nvidia drivers are generic and may cause problems. Nevermind, I guess you already did that. Try setting refresh rate to 75hz and resetting computer.

Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dimmwit on 12/10/00 03:34 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Is the flickering only in games? Open wordpad to white screen and see if it flickers.

Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends...

G

It's only in CERTAIN games...NOT ALL games....I play Diablo2 flicker free. I also play starcraft and it's fine. But if I play either Subspace<<an online game>> or Worms Armageddon, the top part of the screen flickers...the rest of the monitor are fine! Weird ain't it? ok i will try 75hz and see what happens...i'll keep you posted

G

If the flickering was steady and taking place continously I would think it is the refresh rate. However if only the top part of the screen is affected and only during certain games I would suspect a hardware/software glitch with the video card. Especially since you did not have the problem with your TNT2 which should use similar or the same Nvidia drivers. Possibly a glitch in the video card that only surfaces when given a certain input or video mode. I would suggest trying the video card on someone elses computer or just exchanging it.

Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends...

G

Ack! Well I will prolly be formatting hd soon anyway. That would zero in the problem. could be either software probs or hardware probs. Hmm...kinda hard to exchange something you bought from ebay ain't it? ok thx dimmwit for troubleshooting! Will see if formatting hd helps eliminate prob!

G

I wouldn't be too quick to format. I had this problem with my geforce 2 GTS Pro on my KA7-100 mobo. Geforce cards take more power than your old TNT2. If you'd tried all the different drivers the problem is most likely your card is starving for power.

GO into bios and increase the voltage going to the AGP slot (I forget what its actually called in bios its been a while but you'll know it when you see it)

Just be careful to adjust it in very small increments since too much power to the video card can damage it.

Another system I built had the same problem and the bios settings didn't help so I put a beefier power supply on and it worked great.

Definitely try those out before formatting...and good luck

Jason

JoeHead

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Did I hear that there is a power prob. with GF2 and Abit KA7 boards (original). They had to modify the board. Weird boot probs. I'm getting that now.

<b> Fragg at will!!! </b>

G

Hmmm...I tried looking in BIOS and I found nothing like what you were talking about. I have a P3V4X with bios rev 1005. Can someone tell me if I can somehow increase the voltage to agp? thx

Raistlin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you probably just need to turn on something like Wait for vertical sync?
does it just happen with One API? Directx opengl?
i had this problem with a gforce2 gts, go in under advanced display prop. and set it to best picture, wait for vert sync etc. you can fiddle with other setting like page flipping etc.

Bored, Certified Tech

G

UPDATE: I found where to change the voltage to the agp. Didn't help. 3.3v->3.6v didn't help so i put it back to 3.3

G

Rasitlin,

I think Worms Armageddon is Directx and subspace, i dunno! I currently have directx7 and has been working great ever since i installed the new vid card. Hmm...i will try out your suggestion as soon as i get home! thx

G

I'm experiencing the exact same problem. I've upgraded
my TNT2 Ultra 32MB to a Asus V7700 GeForce2 GTS 32MB and now
I'm getting the exact same thing you discribed above. My
screen is flickering in windows apps (i.e. Windows Explorer
and MS Word) flickers more when I scroll a lot. I tought it
was the refresh rate but changing it didnt fix anything.

I'll try upgrading my power supply as someone suggested. In
the meantime if anyone find a solution to this problem I'd
be really interested in hearing it out :)

BTW, I'm using an Asus CUSL2 mobo with Intel 815 Chipset.

G

%reds at %coord!!! Safe to attach in 3!
%reds at %coord!!! Safe to attach in 3!

Err, need help?

Subspace is a directx game. I have similar setup, p3v4x, leadtek geforce ddr, no problem in whatever zone I play.

I suppose the problem is the game itself. Why not goto http://www.subspace.net/downloads.shtml and download the latest "cd-key-free" version, subspace135.zip.

IF it still doesn't work, download another program called subui24.zip under the "Miscellaneous Files" catogery.

BTW b4 you run the game, goto view-->option and uncheck everything under "miscellaneous", such as show clock or 3d sound effect.

Then goto advance options, and uncheck everything as well.

I hope this will help. If not, goto pro league bbs, http://www.subspace.nu/forum/pro/, and talk with those 4 yrs veterans - they should have enough experience to help u out.

Lordofvoodoo
www.reds-radar.com

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I found this at the Creative's site, WWW.GEFORCEFAQ.COM.

If you have tearing problems with any OpenGL programs, go to the OpenGL tab of the NVIDIA control panel and change the 'Buffer flipping mode' option from 'Auto-select' to 'Use block transfer'.

I don't know if this will help.

Novakain

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I had a similar problem to this playing x-wing alliance using an ASUS GeForce 2 GTS 64MB Card. I found that if I turned off wait for vert. sync. it fixed the problem. Have you tried this?

montgods

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am having this problem also. It only flickers during 3D games such as Quake3, Homeworld Cataclysm, and Counterstrike. If I switch any of these games to software rendering, the problem goes away.

I would describe the flicker as follows: In the affected applications, every few seconds (it is not periodic) a large portion of the upper half of the screen(a horizontal band perhaps 1/3 of the screen height in size), flashes very quickly, probably a single frame. It is very aggravating. I consider it almost unusable.

I have the Asus 7700 GeForce 2 GTS 64 on an ASUS A7V motherboard. I am using the Detonater 3 drivers.

There are several threads on usenet about this issue. People are reporting this problem with GeForce2 cards from various manufacturers. There is a definite problem here and noone seems to have a "sure fix" for it. For every recommended fix I have read, there is a person who claims they tried it and it did not work. Hopefully NVidia or the card manufacturers will take notice and fix this issue.

toonces

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i have a riva tnt and had the same problem when i was playing "driver". i can't remember how i fixed it though.

just kidding, i think if i remember right, it was some sort of conflict between the directx drivers and the det. drivers for my tnt. i switched my video card drivers and the problem went away.

<font color=red>booyah, grandma, booyah..</font color=red>

montgods

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have had a TNT2 card in this system also, with everything else constant, including the Detonator 3 drivers, and did not experience this problem.

toonces

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
sorry. i thought that was what cleared it up for me. if there are ceratin games that you are playing, that this happens on, you may try looking if there are any answers on their BB's.

<font color=red>booyah, grandma, booyah..</font color=red>

TRENDING THREADS