[SOLVED] WEIRD FPS PROBLEM

Aug 1, 2019
MY PC SPECS:
GPU:AMD Radeon R7 250 2GB GDDR5
CPU:Amd FX 6350
Ram:16GB DDR3 1866 mhz
Motherboard:ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0
MY GAMING RESOLUTION:1600X900

ALL NEWEST DRIVERS UPDATED AND INSTALLED!!!
Windows installed about 6 months ago.
No visual Physical damage on pc parts.
No other Major tasks running in background that could use cpu/gpu/ram

So my friends with worse PC specifications get better frame rates in games.Is it possible that my GPU/CPU are damaged.

I play minecraft(singleplayer normal world) on lowest settings at about 20-30(now i have 1 fps in minecraft and it mostly uses 0% of my gpu) fps but it feezes every 1 second for like 0,5 seconds and it's unplayable and laggy.
Skyrim special edition after using special tools to set settings even lower than lowest possible 30-60 fps
League of legends medium 50-100 fps but it drops sometimes(still playable).
Star craft 2 lowest settings possible 40-80 fps (lags sometimes but playable)
The forest lowest settings possible 30-55 fps

Also many other games run really poorly and it's not even close to what my pc should perform i have compared results to many other people with similiar specs.

Last edited:
Solution
It's always possible that something is damaged but one thing you can try is to replace the cable between the video card and the monitor. These days I would use displayport cable. But others have their preferences (HDMI would be the leading alternative IMO). A new cable is a cheap fix and they do go bad.

I put one in yesterday and I can't believe how it made the lag go away.

If the new cable doesn't work try a different gpu card (maybe you have one in the house) and see if that helps.

Greg N

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
It's always possible that something is damaged but one thing you can try is to replace the cable between the video card and the monitor. These days I would use displayport cable. But others have their preferences (HDMI would be the leading alternative IMO). A new cable is a cheap fix and they do go bad.

I put one in yesterday and I can't believe how it made the lag go away.

If the new cable doesn't work try a different gpu card (maybe you have one in the house) and see if that helps.

Greg N

Solution

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
I still have VGA Monitor so you are saying that if i replace cable from monitor i will get better fps in games :-/ ?

There are no guarantees in internet diagnosis. :( Since you have a VGA monitor you are stuck with VGA. You can try to get a new VGA cable. Here is one for $4.00.

If, and only if, the problem with your current equipment is a defective cable, then for $4 you have a fix. If the problem is not the cable, then you have a brand new cable and you still have a problem. But a new cable is a reasonable thing to try first, because it is cheap, and because cables do fail often enough to be considered in s situation like this.

I was reading about your motherboard and, though I am not expert, it seems a bit old (six usb connectors from the motherboard--that's a little older, so is DDR3, and so is VGA) .

So anyhow age might indicate that the graphics card is the likely source of failure. But that is going to cost more to replace than the VGA cable.

Greg N

Aug 1, 2019
Okay i honestly hope it's gpu failing because i've been planing to replace it with amd rx 580 or gtx 1060.

Also one more thing,what do you think could it be windows system failing and that it can be fixed by installing fresh windows

Also one more thing could it be cpu failing because I have biggest problem on minecraft and minecraft mostly utilizes CPU way more than gpu.I have noticed that minecraft mostly uses 0% of gpu and now that i have ran it i only have 1 FPS not even 20 anymore.

View: https://imgur.com/a/hebYc8I

Here are 2 screenshots of minecraft and 1 screenshot of one weird crash i randomly had a while ago

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Well a new gpu can be taken to a new build (if it comes to that) so getting one is not money wasted. For $4 you might as well try the VGA cable too.

There is a possibility that it is monitor failure you can take a look at the symptoms here and see if they match your symptoms.