Question Weird glitch/screen split when after updates/booting PC

Oct 17, 2019
Hello,
I recently built a system, details below. I've been having this weird issue, sometimes when I restart my pc after a windows update, it boots into windows with the screen kinda torn/glitched. It fixes itself after a restart, sometimes I have to restart twice. It happened quite often on the first week, after every 2-3 updates. I stopped all windows updates for 2 weeks, the problem seemed to go away. However, I did a clean windows 10 reinstall 2 days ago, turned off updates. Today, I got a prompt to restart the pc to install an audio software update, and it booted with the glitched screen again. I had to restart the pc two more times before it fixed itself.

The glitch only happens after windows boots, bios and the post screen is fine. It seems to only happen after an update. It doesn't happen often enough for me to try reproducing the glitch. When the pc boots normally, everything runs fine, no glitches or issues while gaming or under load, everything runs fine.

I'm not sure if its triggered by some update issue or its just coincidence and happens when my pc boots up.
The glitch pattern is always the same. exact same lines and splits.
I'm wondering if this is an issue with my GPU. Do I need to RMA it? I can't seem to find anything similar online.

Here is a picture of the glitch.
View: https://imgur.com/a/JEzL4ui

System:
Ryzen 7 3700x + Noctua NH-D15
Asus ROG Strix 570x-E Gaming
Asus Rtx 2070 Super 8G Strix Gaming A8G
Corsair Vengeance LPX 8gb X2
Seasonic Snow Silent 750w
Fractal Design Define R6
LG 27mp35 IPS LED (1080p, 60hz monitor)

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019
Have you checked for any yellow warning signs in Device Manager?
Just checked that, there are no yellow or red signs in Device Manager

edit: I checked event viewer and found this error at the times the glitch happened

Event 17, WHEA-Logger
A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Component: PCI Express Endpoint
Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)

Primary Bus : Device:Function: 0x8:0x0:0x2
Secondary Bus : Device:Function: 0x0:0x0:0x0
Primary Device Name:
Secondary Device Name:

I have no idea what this means

Last edited: