[SOLVED] Weird graphical artifact - GPU defect or perhaps a driver issue?

AltSk0P

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016
Hey everyone and happy New Year's!

I was hoping y'all could help me with some insight into a little problem.

I gifted a new laptop to a family member, a Lenovo IdeaPad L340 . Not few days after they sent me a picture of the screen asking if it's normal.

tKQOxpi.jpg

4C3pOGw.jpg

I'm not sure what to make of it since the fact that the distortion does not seem to be affecting anything besides the background (the pictures and the text seem to be fine), so I assumed it to be a rendering glitch specific to that website. However, later a similar thing occurred while working with Google Docs.

L9YiUqR.jpg

I asked them to take more pictures when (if) this happens again, specifically outside of Chrome to see if it persists. But I'm also considering to jump the gun and maybe return it and get a different unit if this could be a defect.

Would anyone have any ideas to what the root cause of this is?

Solution
Sometimes this happens when the internal monitor cable get pinched with just normal over time opening and closing lid. There are times where you can disassemble and get to the cable and unplug, bend it around so it sits just a little different as it goes past the hinges and make sure it is plugged into its motherboard slot all the way.

Sometime you can test by fully opening screen and if it get better or worse it's your cable.
Sometimes this happens when the internal monitor cable get pinched with just normal over time opening and closing lid. There are times where you can disassemble and get to the cable and unplug, bend it around so it sits just a little different as it goes past the hinges and make sure it is plugged into its motherboard slot all the way.

Sometime you can test by fully opening screen and if it get better or worse it's your cable.

Solution