[SOLVED] Weird motherboard issues

Dec 30, 2022
Hi there, I've had a Gigabyte B550M DS3H for a while now, it's like the first revision I think, well, I've had some problems with it, first, like 2 months after I got it, its LAN port just stopped working, so.. I bought an USB adapter and I just kept using it as normal. So... I used it for half a year with no problems other than some weird behaviour with my USB port's on the MB, until I installed an AIO Cooler (XPG Levante), suddenly, my MB just stopped recognizing 2 of its RAM slots, the "B Channel", I thought it had something to do with my CPU, so I checked it and yup.. It had like 1 or 2 bent pins, I placed both RAMs on both "A Channels" and just used my PC as usual. I recently bought a new CPU, a Ryzen 7 5700x and I installed it, I thought it would fix whatever issue I had with my MB but I still have the same problem. If I install RAM on the "B Channel" my MB doesn't recognize those RAM sticks and if I install 4 sticks of RAM, first of all, I only get those 2 RAMs on the "A Channel" to work, and then, I can't even turn on XMP on those 2, so... At first, I thought the problem was that my old CPU had some bent pins, but now I think it may be more of a MB problem. So I wanted to ask you guys for some advice on any new MB or some fix for this issue?

Solution
Welcome to the forums and a Happy New Year, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
please include the BIOS version for your motherboard, the age of the PSU(apart from it's make and model) and the OS you're working with.

Chances are that the motherboard is pending a BIOS update to help resolve any and/or all issues. The other possibility is that the memory controller on the CPU is conked out, whereby only one channel works and the other doesn't. have you tried taking both processors over to a known working motherboard to rule out that the donor platform/motherboard is...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums and a Happy New Year, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
please include the BIOS version for your motherboard, the age of the PSU(apart from it's make and model) and the OS you're working with.

Chances are that the motherboard is pending a BIOS update to help resolve any and/or all issues. The other possibility is that the memory controller on the CPU is conked out, whereby only one channel works and the other doesn't. have you tried taking both processors over to a known working motherboard to rule out that the donor platform/motherboard is exhibiting the same anomaly?

Reactions: Fer7510
Solution
Dec 30, 2022
Hi! Happy New Year too! Well, sorry for that lol, my system's specs are these
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (At the time of having the first issue) / Ryzen 7 5700x (now)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M DS3H
BIOS Version: F12 (At the moment)
Ram: 4x 8GB XPG Spectrix D41 3200 MHz CL16
SSD/HDD: 256 GB XPG S40G NVMe and 1 TB XPG S40G NVMe
GPU: Sapphire RX 6700 XT
PSU: Aerocool Cylon 700w 80 PLUS Bronze (I've had it for around a year)
Chassis: XPG Starker Air
Monitor: 24" Balam Rush Ultra Odyssey MTX27G

I gave it a last try the same night I asked you guys here for help and... Well, I used my R5 3600 one more time and starting installing newer and older BIOS versions, at the time I was the F15a version, so I ended up rolling back to F10 version and... Suddenly my 5700x was working fine, the memories were just working fine, so I went on and installed F12 version just to use SAM on my GPU and... It all was working as intended.. So... I just left it that way lol, maybe I'll buy a new MB down the road but for now, I'll say I ended up fixing it (I got no fix for my LAN port tho)
Anyway, thanks for your answer, I really appreciate it!

Reactions: Lutfij

Lutfij

Titan
Assuming you're on PCB revision 1.0/1.1/1.2/1.3;
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550M-DS3H-rev-10-11-12-13/support#support-dl-bios

Hmmm, A.G.E.S.A code 1.1.0.0. Ideally you should be on A.G.E.S.A code 1.2.0.7 which is F15(not F15a mind you, which is an alpha version of the BIOS). Regardless you officially have Ryzen 5000 series support on your motherboard and if you do encounter any other stability issues, you could think about gradually working your way up to F15, i.e, F12>F13>F15. You'll notice I didn't state F14, this is because it's A.G.E.S.A code 1.2.0.5 which has been known to be a problem for a lot of platforms on the AM4 socket.