Question Weird noise coming from computer

Kamisama11

Reputable
Jun 7, 2015
Hello guys,

I recently bought a new computer and i've started to notice this "coil" or something coming from my computer when I open games. When changing settings etc the noise quickly goes away however, when the setting is applied it instantly comes back. It doesnt say this sound idle and only when opening/playing games- I've tried linking the video in the description:

Components:

Graphics card: RTX 2080

CPU: i7-9700KF

Motherboard: Asus Z370-P Prime

Ram: Corsair Vengaence 16GB DDR4-3000 XMP RAM

PSU: Corsair TX750M 80plus

This is the video:

it comes after double clicking my mouse which is when i open the game:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v21jQbW3f7U&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR3gFyTIhK8DdpRGguWe4WrgluPQgj44FnjcuGN_8Y0QMjifOmBwun6eUHY

I've tried asking multiple people and all they say is - I can't hear anything and its making my go crazy!

im kind of scared that something is wrong with the computer

Kind regards,

Ralston18

Titan
Could be normal noise and your hearing is just more sensitive than other peoples' hearing.

May or may not be fixable per se - depends on the source or reason for the noise.

What settings are you changing when the noise (apparently temporarily) goes away?

Are you able to provide a wider shot of the case and all fans?

The video seems to show another fan below the fan(s) in the immediate foreground.

Overall, try to locate the source of the noise. You can use a long cardboard tube or even a rolled up piece of paper focus the sound to your ear.

Just do so carefully to avoid jamming the tube into something.

Kamisama11

Reputable
Jun 7, 2015
Could be normal noise and your hearing is just more sensitive than other peoples' hearing.

May or may not be fixable per se - depends on the source or reason for the noise.

What settings are you changing when the noise (apparently temporarily) goes away?

Are you able to provide a wider shot of the case and all fans?

The video seems to show another fan below the fan(s) in the immediate foreground.

Overall, try to locate the source of the noise. You can use a long cardboard tube or even a rolled up piece of paper focus the sound to your ear.

Just do so carefully to avoid jamming the tube into something.

Hello there Ralston,

I tried changing multiple settings and it only goes away momentarily. However if i for example open map "atlas" in path of exile it goes away but while running around and such its there. Also tried limiting the fps and locking it.

View: https://youtu.be/qcPTEq8J2R8
I tried taking a new video - everytime the whine goes away i press open map

I noticed its not a very good shot of the computer my bad

EDIT: There are two fans on the top - one big aftermarket cooler on the CPU and then 1 more fan at the back of the computer.

It seems to come from the GPU (RTX 2080) but i can't be completely sure

Ralston18

Titan
You need to locate the source location of the sound - which may be problematic.

Create the sound via "but while running around and such its there."

Then listen with the tube or otherwise just a closer ear to find the location.

The sound could just be some combination of air flow noises that occur at certain times or with fan speed transitions.

Sort of like the wind whistling between trees and buildings. Comes and goes with speed and direction.

What case are you using and how are the fans arranged?

Someone may note a problem in that regards.

Kamisama11

Reputable
Jun 7, 2015
From what I can tell its the GPU and the sound is being pushed upwards- this is the cabinet i am using.

It has two fans on top and 1 in the back as you can see from the picture.

from what I can see on MSI afterburner which i cant say if its an indication - while the map is up GPU clock is around 500-700mhz (no sound) and at 1950 GPU clock mhz while running (sound is back) so im guessing its something about the computer being under load? the temperature is only 60c though with GPU load on around 50% so im not entirely sure honestly.

If its just "coil whine" is there any dangers to it for the pc? other than being an annoying sound?

VG-Infinity-0001.jpg