[SOLVED] weird windows booting issue.

John1357

Reputable
Apr 15, 2017
basically when i bootup windows everyday i get this same issue :
my pc boots into windows recovery, i just press continue, the pc restarts and i start up into windows after a 3 minute long black screen.
this only started recently when i bought an ssd and redownloaded windows onto it. this issue completely destroys the reason for having an ssd if i bootup slower than my old hdd.
help?

<MODERATOR EDIT>

Thread moved to Storage Forum for better assistance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
you didn't mention your version of Windows and the make/type of SSD.

Windows 7 doesn't recognize some NVMe SSD's natively so it may not shut down properly.
- if that doesn't apply, how did you migrate your windows? Most SSD's have a migration utility to move the image cleanly.

edit: on Windows 10, you can go to Advance Options and select Reset (it'll reinstall Windows clean and keep your data intact).

either way it sounds like your PC is not shutting down cleanly so it's doing the equivalent of chkdsk on every boot.

my pc boots into windows recovery, i just press continue, the pc restarts and i start up into windows after a 3 minute long black screen.
this only...

Starcruiser

Honorable
CPUs might not be the best category for this, but I might be able to help anyway.

It sounds like the boot process is having some issues. Are you booting with UEFI or legacy mode? What speed does the SSD run at once it's booted?

The next time it goes to recovery, do this instead: https://www.dell.com/support/articl...indows-7-8-8-1-and-10-on-your-dell-pc?lang=en

Report any errors; you might need to reformat the EFI partition if you get one, but we'll cross that bridge later.

you didn't mention your version of Windows and the make/type of SSD.

Windows 7 doesn't recognize some NVMe SSD's natively so it may not shut down properly.
- if that doesn't apply, how did you migrate your windows? Most SSD's have a migration utility to move the image cleanly.

edit: on Windows 10, you can go to Advance Options and select Reset (it'll reinstall Windows clean and keep your data intact).

either way it sounds like your PC is not shutting down cleanly so it's doing the equivalent of chkdsk on every boot.

this only started recently when i bought an ssd and redownloaded windows onto it. this issue completely destroys the reason for having an ssd if i bootup slower than my old hdd.
help?

<MODERATOR EDIT>

Thread moved to Storage Forum for better assistance.

Last edited:
Solution