Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

My XP Pro computer was recently set up to a domain. I lost the welcome screen
that had several accounts and now must log on with the "log on to windows
box" that asks for user name, password, and log on to.

I have the screen saver set to resume with a password, but now it won't
resume to the welcome screen. The other guest accounts can no longer use my
computer if I am already logged on and the screen saver, password protect
feature is active.

Is there a way to get the "resume to the welcome screen" back?

Thanks, Tom
--
Tom

Malke

Tom wrote:

> My XP Pro computer was recently set up to a domain. I lost the welcome
> screen that had several accounts and now must log on with the "log on
> to windows box" that asks for user name, password, and log on to.
>
> I have the screen saver set to resume with a password, but now it
> won't resume to the welcome screen. The other guest accounts can no
> longer use my computer if I am already logged on and the screen saver,
> password protect feature is active.
>
> Is there a way to get the "resume to the welcome screen" back?
>
> Thanks, Tom

No, I'm sorry but once a computer is joined to a domain you no longer
have the Welcome Screen option.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Malke,

This is bad. So multiple users can not use a domain computerif I need to
keep my account password protected?
--
Tom

"Malke" wrote:

> No, I'm sorry but once a computer is joined to a domain you no longer
> have the Welcome Screen option.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Tom wrote:

> Malke,
>
> This is bad. So multiple users can not use a domain computerif I need
> to keep my account password protected?

Of course they can. They will just need to change the username in the
logon box and enter their password.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

If the other users log in to their account at boot-up that works, but there
is no way for them to access their accounts if I am logged in and I have the
screen saver set to resume with password. I would need this to protect my
account. What I would like is to resume to the welcome screen that would
allow me to log into the domain or just normally into my xp account as well
as icons for the guest accounts as I have had in the past.
--
Tom

"Malke" wrote:

> Tom wrote:
>
> > Malke,
> >
> > This is bad. So multiple users can not use a domain computerif I need
> > to keep my account password protected?
>
> Of course they can. They will just need to change the username in the
> logon box and enter their password.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Tom wrote:

> If the other users log in to their account at boot-up that works, but
> there is no way for them to access their accounts if I am logged in
> and I have the screen saver set to resume with password. I would need
> this to protect my account. What I would like is to resume to the
> welcome screen that would allow me to log into the domain or just
> normally into my xp account as well as icons for the guest accounts as
> I have had in the past.

Let's go over this again just to make sure I'm getting your setup right.

1. You have a domain, not a workgroup.
2. You are sharing a single workstation with several other users.

You cannot use the Welcome Screen with a domain. End of story. When you
need to step away from your workstation, either log out and leave the
machine sitting at the logon box or let your password-protected
screensaver run and have the other users wait for you to come back.
Guest account is normally disabled in a server/workstation environment
anyway.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Malke,

I'm sorry if I don't know the correct terms; but I used to be able to log on
at the welcome screen as could the other accounts. I no longer have the
welcome screen but a "log on to windows box" that has user name, password,
and log on to. I can log on to my computer by entering my password as I would
have from the welcome screen. Instead of clicking an icon the other accounts
have to enter their user name and password in the "log on to windows box".
This is Ok. I can also enter a new user name, password, and log on to, to
access the domain.

My problem is that when logged on regularly, as I would have from the
welcome screen, I can no longer resume from the screen saver to the welcome
screen so the other accounts have access in my absense.

My question is: instead of the "log on to windows" box can I have the
welcome screen with 2 icons for me, one allowing me to access my computer as
before, and one to change my user name, password, and log on to, to access
the domain?

Sorry if I made a mess of the explaination, but I appreciate your help.
-
Tom

"Malke" wrote:

> Tom wrote:
>
> > If the other users log in to their account at boot-up that works, but
> > there is no way for them to access their accounts if I am logged in
> > and I have the screen saver set to resume with password. I would need
> > this to protect my account. What I would like is to resume to the
> > welcome screen that would allow me to log into the domain or just
> > normally into my xp account as well as icons for the guest accounts as
> > I have had in the past.
>
> Let's go over this again just to make sure I'm getting your setup right.
>
> 1. You have a domain, not a workgroup.
> 2. You are sharing a single workstation with several other users.
>
> You cannot use the Welcome Screen with a domain. End of story. When you
> need to step away from your workstation, either log out and leave the
> machine sitting at the logon box or let your password-protected
> screensaver run and have the other users wait for you to come back.
> Guest account is normally disabled in a server/workstation environment
> anyway.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Tom wrote:

Please see my comments inline:

> Malke,
>
> I'm sorry if I don't know the correct terms; but I used to be able to
> log on at the welcome screen as could the other accounts. I no longer
> have the
> welcome screen but a "log on to windows box" that has user name,
> password, and log on to.
> I can log on to my computer by entering my
> password as I would have from the welcome screen. Instead of clicking
> an icon the other accounts have to enter their user name and password
> in the "log on to windows box". This is Ok. I can also enter a new
> user name, password, and log on to, to access the domain.

Yes, the above is because your computer is a member of a domain now and
not a member of a peer-to-peer Workgroup.

> My problem is that when logged on regularly, as I would have from the
> welcome screen, I can no longer resume from the screen saver to the
> welcome screen so the other accounts have access in my absense.

What do you mean by can no longer "resume from the screensaver to the
welcome screen"? There will be no Welcome Screen in a domain. Do you
mean that when your password-protected screensaver is active, *you* can
no longer log in by typing in your username and password? Are you
saying that the screensaver log in doesn't work? Or are you saying that
since the computer is now locked and needs your password, *other* users
can't get in? If the latter, then this is the design of a computer on a
domain using a screensaver. Your account is still logged on and only
you can get into it. You would need to log out and then leave the
machine sitting at the log in box for another user to be able to type
in his/her username and password.

> My question is: instead of the "log on to windows" box can I have the
> welcome screen with 2 icons for me, one allowing me to access my
> computer as before, and one to change my user name, password, and log
> on to, to access the domain?

No, as I said before - there is no Welcome Screen available on a
computer that is joined to a domain.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Malke,

Thank you for your patience. I guess I will now have to remember to log off
when I leave my computer. Thanks again.
--
Tom

"Malke" wrote:

> Tom wrote:
>
> Please see my comments inline:
>
> > Malke,
> >
> > I'm sorry if I don't know the correct terms; but I used to be able to
> > log on at the welcome screen as could the other accounts. I no longer
> > have the
> > welcome screen but a "log on to windows box" that has user name,
> > password, and log on to.
> > I can log on to my computer by entering my
> > password as I would have from the welcome screen. Instead of clicking
> > an icon the other accounts have to enter their user name and password
> > in the "log on to windows box". This is Ok. I can also enter a new
> > user name, password, and log on to, to access the domain.
>
> Yes, the above is because your computer is a member of a domain now and
> not a member of a peer-to-peer Workgroup.
>
> > My problem is that when logged on regularly, as I would have from the
> > welcome screen, I can no longer resume from the screen saver to the
> > welcome screen so the other accounts have access in my absense.
>
> What do you mean by can no longer "resume from the screensaver to the
> welcome screen"? There will be no Welcome Screen in a domain. Do you
> mean that when your password-protected screensaver is active, *you* can
> no longer log in by typing in your username and password? Are you
> saying that the screensaver log in doesn't work? Or are you saying that
> since the computer is now locked and needs your password, *other* users
> can't get in? If the latter, then this is the design of a computer on a
> domain using a screensaver. Your account is still logged on and only
> you can get into it. You would need to log out and then leave the
> machine sitting at the log in box for another user to be able to type
> in his/her username and password.
>

> > My question is: instead of the "log on to windows" box can I have the
> > welcome screen with 2 icons for me, one allowing me to access my
> > computer as before, and one to change my user name, password, and log
> > on to, to access the domain?
>
> No, as I said before - there is no Welcome Screen available on a
> computer that is joined to a domain.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Tom wrote:

> Malke,
>
> Thank you for your patience. I guess I will now have to remember to
> log off when I leave my computer. Thanks again.

You're most welcome.

Malke