[SOLVED] what air cooler is better?

thedominator1550

Honorable
Jan 15, 2018
I have an i5-9600k overclocked to 4.8Ghz
and my current cooler is the corsair h100i v2 .
the cooler is 5 years old so i think its on the edge of it lifespan, my CPU temperature on idle is around 45 C and that's hot.
so I wanna buy a new cooler and i wanna go for an air cooler this time cuz AIO gonna hit me again with that same issue ,
so i've been looking around for an air coolers and i found Noctua's new coolers the black one nh-d15 chromax.black and be quiet dark rock pro 4 .
so i wonder should i go with the noctua one or the be quiet one or can i find a cheaper good solution ?
or is there another option i didn't see ?

forgot to say my case clearance is 180mm for the CPU heatsink

Solution
so i think this cooler with a bit of cleaning can live longer right ?
Could probably be your answer there. Dust particles come in many different sizes and while the mesh on the front intakes gets most of it, the holes are still large enough to allow some to get through. Your exhaust fans will pick most of that up and blow it out of the case, and with a radiator, that acts as a mesh too.

If you look at the back of a fan, there's 2 things. The area where the blades will push air from, and the dead space in the exact center where the motor housing is. On a dirty rad you'll find a 'dust donut', that's the area of the rad directly under the blades. When air starts being blocked there, it gets forced through the dead space, out the...
Both are comparable. The noctua is sorta known for being the best air cooler you can buy currently. But I think with either you cant really go wrong.

Idle temp is only part if the story. As long as load temps are still acceptable. The cooler is functioning. No sense fixing what isnt broken. So what do your load temps look like? Gaming? Or stress testing, like p95 or cinebench?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Because the cpu at idle doesn't put out much wattage at all, mostly less than 60w, it's really not going to have much, if any, real affect on temps.

You cannot cool a cpu below ambient temps by physical means. It take a chemical process, like LN2 or phase change to do that. For a top mounted aio, outside case ambient is not what the aio is responding from, it's inside case air that gets pulled, so the cpu will be at case temps + 3-6°C.

Front mount uses outside air, so front mount will be room temp + 3-6°C.

Meaning if your idle temps are @ 45°C, your case temps are @ 40°C, meaning if room temp is 23°C, your case has some lousy airflow characteristics that need to be looked at. Adding an aircooler will rank the same, it uses case air, not outside air, to cool the heatsink, so idle temps will still be @ 45°C.

But you aren't wrong along the lines of thinking about replacement. 5 years isn't bad, it's pretty normal, both my corsair and nzxt have lasted over 6 years and still good, even running 24/7/365. Still a gamble and forced replacement vrs preventative maintenance.

Last edited:
Reactions: thedominator1550

thedominator1550

Honorable
Jan 15, 2018
Because the cpu at idle doesn't put out much wattage at all, mostly less than 60w, it's really not going to have much, if any, real affect on temps.

You cannot cool a cpu below ambient temps by physical means. It take a chemical process, like LN2 or phase change to do that. For a top mounted aio, outside case ambient is not what the aio is responding from, it's inside case air that gets pulled, so the cpu will be at case temps + 3-6°C.

Front mount uses outside air, so front mount will be room temp + 3-6°C.

Meaning if your idle temps are @ 45°C, your case temps are @ 40°C, meaning if room temp is 23°C, your case has some lousy airflow characteristics that need to be looked at. Adding an aircooler will rank the same, it uses case air, not outside air, to cool the heatsink, so idle temps will still be @ 45°C.

But you aren't wrong along the lines of thinking about replacement. 5 years isn't bad, it's pretty normal, both my corsair and nzxt have lasted over 6 years and still good, even running 24/7/365. Still a gamble and forced replacement vrs preventative maintenance.
45°C room temperature is kinda too hot man i mean its usuly around 25°C .
My case is the nzxt h440 so the intake fan are good and they are 3 and there is nothing blocking it way but i'll test my cpu and see how does preform under load and coome back to u all

thedominator1550

Honorable
Jan 15, 2018
Both are comparable. The noctua is sorta known for being the best air cooler you can buy currently. But I think with either you cant really go wrong.

Idle temp is only part if the story. As long as load temps are still acceptable. The cooler is functioning. No sense fixing what isnt broken. So what do your load temps look like? Gaming? Or stress testing, like p95 or cinebench?
so I've stress tested the cpu via cinebench and 3dmark and in both it didn't hit 80°C in 3d mark the maximum was 73°C and in cinebench the maximum was 77°C .

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Could probably be your answer there. Dust particles come in many different sizes and while the mesh on the front intakes gets most of it, the holes are still large enough to allow some to get through. Your exhaust fans will pick most of that up and blow it out of the case, and with a radiator, that acts as a mesh too.

If you look at the back of a fan, there's 2 things. The area where the blades will push air from, and the dead space in the exact center where the motor housing is. On a dirty rad you'll find a 'dust donut', that's the area of the rad directly under the blades. When air starts being blocked there, it gets forced through the dead space, out the sides, back through the fan (cavitation like on a submarine) and not through the rad much at all. And with as low as idle speed fans are, that's very little flow.

No air through a rad = no cooling = higher temps.

Reactions: thedominator1550
Solution